Status
Not open for further replies.

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hi,

You pay your money and you take your chances.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil. I intend to get one for peace of mind, but haven’t researched the threads to educate myself on which side is the dirtier side.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Up for another test?

What would be sweet is to change the motor oil to Mobil 1 Annual Protection Ultimate Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 to see the difference in what the can collects.

The Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend doesn't have very good NOACK Volatility test scores, it rates about 15.2% compared to Mobil 1 Annual Protection Ultimate Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 which rates at 8.5%.

Logic would tell us that a less volatile oil should result in less gunk in the pcv system. The catch can would tell us if that was in fact the case.

Links to supporting data:

http://www.pqiadata.org/Mobil1_Annual_Protection_5W30.html

http://www.pqiadata.org/MotorCraftSAE5W30.html
That would be an interesting test! My gut says it wouldn't change much as a lot of the oil that's in blow-by isn't vaporized by heat but rather is oil from the cylinder walls that gets pushed past the rings during compression/combustion and mists as it pushes into the crankcase. But either way, I'd be interested to see how that changes the results.

@Mishimoto Would I have to worry about this thing freezing and causing problems in the winter? Also, if you only put the catch can on the pcv side, what about possible oil and condensation in the ccv side?
We've only seen a few cases of freezing in temperatures below 0*F and even then, it was a partial freeze that cleared up after about a minute of driving or idling. We test these catch cans throughout the year in Delaware where it gets well below freezing in the winter and haven't had an issue - the oil and fuel in the blow-by keep most of the water from freezing.

This might be a dumb question but here we go... Since it seems the factory oil separator is doing its job, and you are only catching fuel and condensation in the catch can, without a catch can wouldn't that fuel be sent through the intake manifold and technically washing over the intake valves helping reduce carbon deposits?
It might to a point, but you also have to remember that: 1) there is oil in the mix, even if we don't see it, 2) like @PNW_Ranger87 said, it's only washing over the valves of 1 or two cylinders at best, and 3) the fuel that is there is pretty well contaminated by carbon and once in the cylinder, it will likely either not burn or will have a lower AKI than the fuel, so it's still not great for the engine to consume.

Very little fuel is in the pvc. It's more oil than anything. I've posted pictures of what I've emptied out of the can.
It is curious that you caught much more oil in your Ranger than ours using the same can and setup. How many miles were on your Ranger when you installed the catch can?

Thanks everybody!
-Steve

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Remember I ended up tying into the breather side with a single can setup. I first installed it at 1700 miles. I routed in the breather side at 5000. The last time I emptied it was at 7356.That was cumulative collection from 1700 miles. So, a total of around 5600 miles.

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
@Mishimoto you missed the second part of the question, what about the ccv side? If I’m catching from the pcv side, what about everything that comes through the ccv?

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Steve,

In this article, you mention the pressure sensor in the CCV side, and you mention that accessing that side requires cutting an integrated clamp. Are you referring to the fitting at the valve cover that looks like a QR fitting? I could not figure out how to remove that fitting. I never thought about cutting it, but I assumed it might need a special tool, since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it off even though it looks like a QR fitting.

What I did instead for the CCV side was to access it from the bottom side of the hose, the side that connects to the turbo inlet. That side is quick-release and is easy to remove. From there, I routed additional hose to a second catch can, and then from the can back to the turbo inlet. It has been working fine for about 1000 miles or so with a separate can on each side and has not thrown any errors regarding the pressure sensor.
Hey everybody,

We have another update on this catch can kit for you. Check it out below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Free to Roam – Catch Can R&D, Part 2: Design

The 2.3L EcoBoost in the 2019+ Ranger was designed to preserve the earth so that you can roam it freely for years to come. It sips fuel while bounding across fields and crawling up dunes, but the 2.3L also sips something that might eventually send it to the landfill: blow-by. That’s why Mishimoto has been working on a catch can to help protect your Ranger. In our last post, we looked at blow-by and how it can affect your 2.3L EcoBoost. In this post, we’ll show what we’re going to do about it.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
It is curious that you caught much more oil in your Ranger than ours using the same can and setup. How many miles were on your Ranger when you installed the catch can?
Thanks everybody!
-Steve
My results are similar to @RCMUSTANG . I've been catching primarily oil in the PVC side. It's not a Mishimoto can, however. I switched from a JLT to a Provent 200 at one point for the PCV side, but there's been a catch can on the PCV side since around 600 miles. The truck now has about 5000 miles. The Provent is a considerably different design, so maybe that could have something to do with it, but the JLT also caught only oil.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
@Mishimoto you missed the second part of the question, what about the ccv side? If I’m catching from the pcv side, what about everything that comes through the ccv?
Hi,
The articles he posted mentioned that they haven't implemented anything yet for the CCV side. For the time being, there is no plug-and-play kit for the CCV side, so you'll need a DIY setup for it. @RCMUSTANG routed the CCV side through the same can as the PCV side, and I routed it through a second can, both methods should work equally well, but the single can is admittedly a little less maintenance.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Like @DavidR said, we do not currently have a catch can on the CCV side due to the fact that the hose needs to be cut to be removed and must then be discarded. Aside from not wanting to ask our customers to permanently modify part of their vehicle, this could be considered modification of the emissions system and may be illegal. Given that @David R and @RCMUSTANG haven't had CELs with catch cans installed, it may be something for we look at in the future.

Hi Steve,

In this article, you mention the pressure sensor in the CCV side, and you mention that accessing that side requires cutting an integrated clamp. Are you referring to the fitting at the valve cover that looks like a QR fitting? I could not figure out how to remove that fitting. I never thought about cutting it, but I assumed it might need a special tool, since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it off even though it looks like a QR fitting.

What I did instead for the CCV side was to access it from the bottom side of the hose, the side that connects to the turbo inlet. That side is quick-release and is easy to remove. From there, I routed additional hose to a second catch can, and then from the can back to the turbo inlet. It has been working fine for about 1000 miles or so with a separate can on each side and has not thrown any errors regarding the pressure sensor.
My results are similar to @RCMUSTANG . I've been catching primarily oil in the PVC side. It's not a Mishimoto can, however. I switched from a JLT to a Provent 200 at one point for the PCV side, but there's been a catch can on the PCV side since around 600 miles. The truck now has about 5000 miles. The Provent is a considerably different design, so maybe that could have something to do with it, but the JLT also caught only oil.
Remember I ended up tying into the breather side with a single can setup. I first installed it at 1700 miles. I routed in the breather side at 5000. The last time I emptied it was at 7356.That was cumulative collection from 1700 miles. So, a total of around 5600 miles.
Thanks @RCMUSTANG and @DavidR ! Its good to know that the pressure sensor isn't as sensitive as it was on the F-150's. That might mean we can add a CCV-side can, but there is still the EPA issue. Our truck has very few miles on it still, so that might be part of the reason that we didn't catch a lot of oil when you guys have been. Climate plays a big role too. This summer was pretty cool for us towards the end, so your warmer climates might be keeping condensation out of the blow-by.

@DavidR The factory service manual shows both connections for that hose as being "permanent" and needing to be cut to be removed, but one of ours is also a QD fitting. I wonder if Ford made a running change to the design and some got QDs, some got the permanent clamps, and some got both. I can't post the actual image from the service manual, but this is their instruction regarding that CCV hose once removed:

upload_2019-11-4_10-32-16.png

Thanks everybody!
-Steve

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Once I tied into the breather side I picked up significant amounts of condensation. I believe that's due to it being at the top of the engine and condensation will go up. I got none through the PCV at all. Nothing but oil and crankcase vapor/blowby.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The factory service manual shows both connections for that hose as being "permanent" and needing to be cut to be removed, but one of ours is also a QD fitting. I wonder if Ford made a running change to the design and some got QDs, some got the permanent clamps, and some got both. I can't post the actual image from the service manual, but this is their instruction regarding that CCV hose once removed:
LOL, funny diagram. I'm surprised they were originally planning to go with both fittings being permanent. There's really no reason for that since the QR fittings are very secure. If they were both permanent, it could get in the way of a number of repairs, making things more inconvenient if you didn't want to throw away and replace a good component.

Regarding emissions system mods, at least here in CA, even the can on the PCV side would be considered an emission system modification and would probably cause the technician to fail a smog check. As a result of that, it's good to have a setup where everything is easily returnable to stock, which is another reason not to cut the CCV hose. Fortunately, the fact that there's a QR fitting on turbo side makes that simple.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
LOL, funny diagram. I'm surprised they were originally planning to go with both fittings being permanent. There's really no reason for that since the QR fittings are very secure. If they were both permanent, it could get in the way of a number of repairs, making things more inconvenient if you didn't want to throw away and replace a good component.

Regarding emissions system mods, at least here in CA, even the can on the PCV side would be considered an emission system modification and would probably cause the technician to fail a smog check. As a result of that, it's good to have a setup where everything is easily returnable to stock, which is another reason not to cut the CCV hose. Fortunately, the fact that there's a QR fitting on turbo side makes that simple.
I would imagine the reasoning for going with permanent clamps would be to either prevent tampering of the CCV system or to comply with some regulation either in the US or another country where the CCV system must be a permanent fixture. It is odd that the CCV side has at least one permanent clamp, but the PCV side doesn't - I'd assume that's to facilitate removal of the intake manifold.

Once I tied into the breather side I picked up significant amounts of condensation. I believe that's due to it being at the top of the engine and condensation will go up. I got none through the PCV at all. Nothing but oil and crankcase vapor/blowby.
Interesting, we usually see the opposite with more oil coming from the CCV side due to higher cylinder pressures under boost. Maybe we'll try to tap into the CCV line like David did and see what comes up.

Thanks!
-Steve

Clownphoenix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
@Mishimoto is it possible to get a the catch can in a different color? You guys sell a stand alone catch can in red that would look great on my hot pepper red ranger.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
@Mishimoto is it possible to get a the catch can in a different color? You guys sell a stand alone catch can in red that would look great on my hot pepper red ranger.
Hey Chris,

Unfortunately we're only offering this kit with the black can. But, if a lot of our customers want it in polished or red, we might be able to offer them in the future.

I do have some good news, however. We got stock in earlier than expected, so these catch cans will start shipping out tomorrow or early next week! We'll be keeping the pre-sale pricing up until next Wednesday afternoon, so you still have a little time if you haven't ordered yet.

Thanks to everybody who's ordered so far!

-Steve

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I would imagine the reasoning for going with permanent clamps would be to either prevent tampering of the CCV system or to comply with some regulation either in the US or another country where the CCV system must be a permanent fixture. It is odd that the CCV side has at least one permanent clamp, but the PCV side doesn't - I'd assume that's to facilitate removal of the intake manifold.
They probably want to avoid permanent fittings as much as possible due to it complicating some repairs, or adding to the repair cost due to forced replacement of a good hose. One thing I thought of is that by making the valve cover connector permanent, the pressure sensor cannot easily be disconnected from the crankcase (without destroying the hose). With the pressure sensor always in place, mis-connection or disconnection of the other hoses or fittings can at least be detected and an error posted. (NOTE: some people have pointed out that instead of removing the valve-cover fitting, you can non-destructively remove the hose from the fitting using a heat gun, but I haven't ever tried that.)

Interesting, we usually see the opposite with more oil coming from the CCV side due to higher cylinder pressures under boost. Maybe we'll try to tap into the CCV line like David did and see what comes up.
For me, it depends on driving conditions. Being fairly light-footed on the pedal, I didn't notice much oil in the CCV side with no load in the truck. Once I loaded up our 1000-lb pop-up camper, however, I started accumulating more oil there, probably due to more time spent in boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.