Transmission Issues

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
@4thfavor; What is the "it" that it did and does? Can't get R?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
@4thfavor; What is the "it" that it did and does? Can't get R?
Slams into gear like a clutch dump either when going from P to R, D to R, or while in D when shifting from 1-X where X is the gear the trans decides is right for the situation.

It's "better" after the TSB, but still slams into gear randomly.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
my morning transmission woes......
cold start, put it into reverse likely sooner than i should have. had the jarring clunk as it engaged. Said oh shit to myself, i should have waited a few seconds more.
hit the gas and the engine just revved.
looked. yep, in R, indicating R, but it's not moving. if anything i'm rolling forward down the slight incline in the driveway.
try it again, still revving and going nowhere.
put it in park. back to R, same thing.
Go to D now, move forward a couple inches and then back to R and it engaged this time and I backed out of the driveway.

odd. Any insight ?
I’d let it warm up until the cold start idle drops back to normal idle then see what it does.
Regards

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’d let it warm up until the cold start idle drops back to normal idle then see what it does.
Regards
This is after 10 minutes or so of remote starter action on my end.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
This is after 10 minutes or so of remote starter action on my end.
I guess that scrubs that idea...That sure is acting weird, you might need a recalibration.
Regards

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
mine have a hard shifting from 3 to 5, doesn't matter if cold, warm or hot. each time it shifts from this point I get an "bump"

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Stuff like this is why the thing aught to have a transmission dipstick.
If it does it again, have the fluid checked. Heat expands cold contracts.

buldogg77

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT sport
I would like to add to this post. I am also having weird shifts but only when the truck is cold. I have my truck in service right now waiting for the blower motor to be looked at and they are looking into the cold shift problem. This happens every time I would get in the truck in the morning or if it has sat for a couple hours I notice it feels jerky for the first 10 or so minutes of driving the truck after its warmed up it seems to shift fine. This jerkiness happens only between the speeds of 10-30 miles a hour and granted we are in west Texas so the temps arent crazy low. The dealership has given me a rental while mine is in the shop same year has only 300 miles on it really the only difference is its a 4x4 mine is not. I can confirm that driving this truck for a week now it does not shift this way. Still waiting for the dealership to get to my truck and let me know what they think this could be. Its driving me nuts knowing its not right.

*edit forgot to mention this truck was purchased in october and has 2900 miles on it also it was built in Aug so i dont think it would be under the TSB they had for earlier trucks

ramong

First Name
ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I miss my 2015 mustang ecoboost, i thought this would be the same but its not I do not like the 10 speed on this truck should have keep the 6 speed. mine too act funny on 4-5-6 gears. Times when i step on the gas hoping the turbo would kick in, it doesn't. I wish they made the radiator fan electric and not belt driven.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
anyone local to ct is welcome to drive mine for comparison. its smooth as silk ,so I know it can be done .I would go to dealer with you to let them explain the difference !!shame all aren't same wtf!!

OP
OP
mikemac58

mikemac58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/2019 Ranger Lariat
I am now just over 5K miles and I feel like the transmission is starting to behave better. Not as good, yet, as the six speed in my Mustang GT. Still stays in higher gears at lower RPM more than I would like, but I can always go to sport mode to address that. I was told the shift strategy is supposed to do this as the engine is “torquey”. My guess is it is for MPG. I have switched to 93 octane fuel and my wallet is telling my brain it runs better. I still have the take off shudder, but from what I have read that seems to be a design “feature” of two piece driveshaft equipped trucks.

I still love the truck for what it is and does as a truck and it is my daily driver, but I will always be IN love with my Mustang GT.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I picked up my 2020 Lariat Crew two days ago and like the truck. I have the shutter problem when taking off from a complete stop and also have some pretty rough shifts sometimes (like the transmission doesn't know what range to be in). The shutter to me feels like clutch chatter. I have no idea what it is. I only have 60 miles on the truck and am hoping it gets a heck of a lot better. I hope I am posting in the correct thread. I mentioned this issue in another thread earlier tonight. Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I picked up my 2020 Lariat Crew two days ago and like the truck. I have the shutter problem when taking off from a complete stop and also have some pretty rough shifts sometimes (like the transmission doesn't know what range to be in). The shutter to me feels like clutch chatter. I have no idea what it is. I only have 60 miles on the truck and am hoping it gets a heck of a lot better. I hope I am posting in the correct thread. I mentioned this issue in another thread earlier tonight. Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.
I dont know about the chatter but mine shifted hard at times and held gears to long for the first say 500 miles !now over 6 k and its one of the best shifting vehicles I have driven .!!ps congrats on the new truck!!

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I am now just over 5K miles and I feel like the transmission is starting to behave better.
So mine seemed to be super smooth from bout 2k to 4k miles. But the last 2k miles been getting a super firm upshift into 8th at say 40-45mph...especially when i'm letting off the gas because i'm getting to the speed limit.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does an occasional weird shift to 4th when it’s cold, other than that it’s pretty darn smooth. I do drive like a old man though.
mine does a weird shift to 4th when cold and light throttle. Almost like engagement is delayed 1second or so.
Sponsored