Looking...

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
This doesn't surprise me when you look at markets overseas but this can end up hurting sales when they release it here.

I am guessing this will change. I can't see them not having a gas-powered V-6 truck sell great in the US.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
This doesn't surprise me when you look at markets overseas but this can end up hurting sales when they release it here.

I am guessing this will change. I can't see them not having a gas-powered V-6 truck sell great in the US.
Technically the 2.3L Ecoboost is capable of putting down more power and torque than the previous generation's 4.0L V6. That V6 only put down 207hp and 238 lb-ft of torque. The number for the 2.3L are expected to be closer to 300hp and 320-350 lb-ft of torque. If you moved into the V6 realm of the current Ford offerings, you would move up to the 2.7L Ecoboost which would put power/torque to weight ratios closer to that of the F-150 Raptor.

A 2.7L in a Ranger Raptor would be fantastic but I don't think it will happen. The main reason for this is that the power to weight ratio at a base level would meet F-150 Raptor specs. The 2.7L is easily modified to output much more power which would make it a better option for size, power to weight and even money. Ford will be careful to keep from undermining its' flagship truck.

Last edited:

Nicolas50

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrack
In France we have the Ford Focus RS with that 2.3l Ecoboost for 350lb-ft and 350 HP and not too heavy, wich can be nice for the raptor!

FelixDaCat

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
In France we have the Ford Focus RS with that 2.3l Ecoboost for 350lb-ft and 350 HP and not too heavy, wich can be nice for the raptor!
That does sound suitable. It seems like trucks in the US are downgraded to be more affordable or something though.

A 2.7L in a Ranger Raptor would be fantastic but I don't think it will happen. The main reason for this is that the power to weight ratio at a base level would meat F-150 Raptor specs. The 2.7L is easily modified to output much more power which would make it a better option for size, power to weight and even money. Ford will be careful to keep from undermining its' flagship truck.
From what I have been reading, they don't want to risk the F-150 taking any kind of hit in sales. If you make the Ranger Raptor on par with that truck, which will likely be cheaper, it would sell a lot more. Most of there earnings in the US comes from the F-150 line so I have to agree with this decision.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
It doesn't need to be an EcoBoost V6. It could be the 3.3l V6, but I would only expect to see that in a non-Raptor version if a V6 was coming.
While the 2.7l EcoBoost would really benefit the Ranger Raptor, I don't see it necessarily cannabilizing the F150 sales. Maybe for the Raptor version, but not overall. Besides, it looks like it will be priced in the same vicinity as F150. Therefore it's possible that the Ranger Raptor may be more profitable.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
A 2.7L in a Ranger Raptor would be fantastic but I don't think it will happen. The main reason for this is that the power to weight ratio at a base level would meet F-150 Raptor specs. The 2.7L is easily modified to output much more power which would make it a better option for size, power to weight and even money. Ford will be careful to keep from undermining its' flagship truck.
Before I answer, the most likely way I will buy a RR will be if it has a V6 EB like its big brother. I would expect the 2.7t as you mention above. So I am watching Ford very carefully with what they release with the US-spec Ranger and the Raptor version more specifically. However, I don't think what you wrote is big concern. The biggest reason is that the version of the 3.5L EB in the fullsize raptor is based on the engine in the Ford GT, which has what, 650hp? Regardless of the specific number, Ford has a lot of room to increase the power in the big truck if they are at all concerned about the RR stealing sales based on power/weight. The bigger concern will be price, IMO. A base fullsize raptor starts at $50k. The ZR2 starts at $43,500. There's no way a RR with, hopefully, a 2.7 EB will undercut a ZR2 by any substantial amount. How many people will feel that an extra $6k to get into the full fat raptor is not that much money given what you get? There are simply too many variables about equipment/drivetrain options about a potential US-spec RR that we don't know to make any decisions.

Personally, if I could get a nicely equipped (not fully loaded) RR with the 2.7 EB for <$46k, I would buy it. The full size version is too big--well really, too wide, for me. I think the RR will be perfectly sized. So I think there are more people out there like me who, while they love the idea of the full size raptor, it's simply too big. From that perspective, there is no competition between the two.

Now, knowing Ford as I do (I ordered a new '12 Mustang GT back in the day), it would not at all surprise me if they cheap out and stick with the 4-cyl EB. I drove a regular F150 with the 2.7t and boy was it smooth and torquey. Beautiful. I've driven plenty of 4-cyl turbo cars over the years and they all feel cheap once you've put a few miles on them. Plus, I haven't driven any of the current crop of 2.0t DI turbo motors that makes torque straight to redline. They all drop off after about 5500 rpms. Would a high strung Focus RS motor be a better option? I don't know. I'm not sure I'd like the driveability of that in a truck.

Looking forward to seeing what the future holds, either way.
Sponsored