2019 Ranger MPG vs Tacoma, Colorado, Jeep pickup

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
What kind of MPG you guys think we’ll see for the Ranger? Will it be class leading?
Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Being Ford is taking their sweet time releasing power, towing, payload, and efficiency specifications, I'd assess all those to get a good idea of where Ranger should or is expected to fall. You could start at looking at the Jeep Unlimited (JLU), w/ 2.0L turbo engine (Mild Hybrid Assist) w/ 8 speed automatic transmission to get an idea. That is rated at 22/24/22 (City/Highway/Combined). That is around where I would expect the Ranger 4x4 to fall when compared. The Jeep is still mostly a brick in the wind for highway rating, so Ranger may be slightly better in that regard, similar to Honda Ridgeline AWD highway rating of 25, as Ranger should have similar aerodynamics to aid some additional highway with those 10-speed overdrive gears. In regards to City rating, when comparing to the Jeep, I'm not sure how much that mild hybrid assists with fuel economy in the City. Even when Ford officially releases the information, your mileage may vary depending on driving technique, terrain, average speed and duration of trips. In addition, it also depends on how the tune is, does it favor real world or EPA test cycle driving. I'm not too familiar with the EPA cycle, but I thought I read somewhere that is being adjusted again (reflect more typical average human driving techniques), but I could have been dreaming or reading rubbish, maybe both, I never fact checked it.

If I were to guess and use an educated guess, Ranger 4x4 will be around 20/26/23 (City/Highway/Combined), but that is merely a guess using reasonable assumptions when comparing to the competition. I could be close, or way off, no warranty implied or expressed.

Last edited:

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Just thought this might help when comparing the vehicles. I am not currently tracking the Jeep JT as little is known about at this time.

*** Edit - I need to include bed capacity for each.

Midsize Truck Comparison.jpg

WI LION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang GT
@rduvall super helpful chart thanks for sharing. Will you be including the Jeep Scrambler also once that's revealed?

If I were to guess and use an educated guess, Ranger 4x4 will be around 20/26/23 (City/Highway/Combined), but that is merely a guess using reasonable assumptions when comparing to the competition. I could be close, or way off, no warranty implied or expressed.
Those would be class leading numbers. Imagine we get a Ranger with class leading power, MPG and lowest pricing (all definitely possible), even without the styling advantage that is already has over the competitors, Ford won't be able to keep up with demand :)

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Those would be class leading numbers. Imagine we get a Ranger with class leading power, MPG and lowest pricing (all definitely possible), even without the styling advantage that is already has over the competitors, Ford won't be able to keep up with demand :)
Those MPG's would be class leading and if it were true, would put them extremely close to GM's I4 2.8L-TD in the Colorado/ Canyon 4x4. Of course, diesel engines are different, especially on range and towing. If Ford actually delivers on their marketing - V6 power, with I4 efficiency - then the guesstimate I posted above is plausible. Ford Ranger could very well be the most fuel efficient, but I'm not yet sold on them providing "Best in Class HP', but I can see Ford providing "Best in Class TQ" out of the gate. The question will be, for how long?

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Almost any mileage beats my 2011 Jeep Wrangler 6MT/3.8L six cylinder...

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
@WI LION I will be updating the chart as the new vehicles are introduced. I have a few more metrics I might add down the road as well.

WI LION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang GT
Those MPG's would be class leading and if it were true, would put them extremely close to GM's I4 2.8L-TD in the Colorado/ Canyon 4x4. Of course, diesel engines are different, especially on range and towing. If Ford actually delivers on their marketing - V6 power, with I4 efficiency - then the guesstimate I posted above is plausible. Ford Ranger could very well be the most fuel efficient, but I'm not yet sold on them providing "Best in Class HP', but I can see Ford providing "Best in Class TQ" out of the gate. The question will be, for how long?
I'd be satisfied with best in class torque and would prefer that it's got class leading torque than class leading HP (though both would be awesome). It's not going to be a light weight pickup so the extra torque will matter more than HP.

@WI LION I will be updating the chart as the new vehicles are introduced. I have a few more metrics I might add down the road as well.
Sweet can't wait to see.

NY35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zamboni
Almost any mileage beats my 2011 Jeep Wrangler 6MT/3.8L six cylinder...
The new JL Wrangler V6 gets an impressive 25mpg now. If the Jeep Scrambler Pickup somehow matches that, it would be class leading. Hoping Ranger Ecoboost beats them all.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
@Saddle Tramp Posted in another thread that the Mexican version of the XLT 4x4 is converting to about 26MPG. While this would be class leading in the US, I would still expect the US spec Ranger to do a bit better. Remember that it has all new DANA solid rear and Dana IFS (Independent Front Suspension) axles. The IFS setup is designed to more efficient which means it won't pull the fuel economy down as much as you would expect on a 4x4 model. 23/28/25 would be some nice numbers that would lead the midsize gas pack and really push the envelope.

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
@Saddle Tramp Posted in another thread that the Mexican version of the XLT 4x4 is converting to about 26MPG. While this would be class leading in the US, I would still expect the US spec Ranger to do a bit better. Remember that it has all new DANA solid rear and Dana IFS (Independent Front Suspension) axles. The IFS setup is designed to more efficient which means it won't pull the fuel economy down as much as you would expect on a 4x4 model. 23/28/25 would be some nice numbers that would lead the midsize gas pack and really push the envelope.
> 26 MPG would make a big impression with potential owners I think. And totally achievable for the US 4x2 if the Mexican market XLT 4x4 is already getting 26 MPG.

BlakeRom

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Any new predictions now that the numbers are out? I would honestly be excited about a 30 or even 28mpg goal which I think ford could reach if they wanted to. With improved 2.3L structuring and aero on the truck. There will be active grille shutters after all.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Any new predictions now that the numbers are out? I would honestly be excited about a 30 or even 28mpg goal which I think ford could reach if they wanted to. With improved 2.3L structuring and aero on the truck. There will be active grille shutters after all.
Active Grille Shutters, that's interesting. Haven't seen that listed before. Is that a standard feature on all models or specific to certain model or package?
Sponsored