Bak Revolver X4 and Factory Bed liner compatibility?

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just got a complementary Revolver X4 from Bak Industries. This was offered as a replacement for the BakFlip X2 which due to wrong clamps shipped (from the factory...) almost flew off my truck. Thing literally lifted up in the air and could have killed somebody.

Problem with the Revolver X4 is I can't install the front and rear brackets to install because the factory bed liner is in the way.

Do these brackets install under the bed liner? Was under the impression once the bed liner is in, you can't remove it without damaging it.

Spoke to Bak Industries tech support. They have seriously no idea. Claim the product is "very new"
dohj.gif
Sponsored

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Just got a complementary Revolver X4 from Bak Industries. This was offered as a replacement for the BakFlip X2 which due to wrong clamps shipped (from the factory...) almost flew off my truck. Thing literally lifted up in the air and could have killed somebody.

Problem with the Revolver X4 is I can't install the front and rear brackets to install because the factory bed liner is in the way.

Do these brackets install under the bed liner? Was under the impression once the bed liner is in, you can't remove it without damaging it.

Spoke to Bak Industries tech support. They have seriously no idea. Claim the product is "very new"
dohj.gif
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...62B07A3B6E0E70A34B3762B07A3B6E0E&&FORM=VRDGAR
I am assuming that you have a factory drop in bed liner. I have posted a BakFlip video for installing with factory bed liner on a F150. Process should be similar for the Ranger. Brackets don't have to be all the way forward or all the way aft, just as close as you can get them.

OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...62B07A3B6E0E70A34B3762B07A3B6E0E&&FORM=VRDGAR
I am assuming that you have a factory drop in bed liner. I have posted a BakFlip video for installing with factory bed liner on a F150. Process should be similar for the Ranger. Brackets don't have to be all the way forward or all the way aft, just as close as you can get them.
Thanks for your reply, but maybe re-read my first post. Not talking about the BakFlip model. The Bak revolver uses four bolt on brackets, separate from the 6 clamps similar to the BakFlip model. These brackets will not install with the factory bed liner.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your reply, but maybe re-read my first post. Not talking about the BakFlip model. The Bak revolver uses four bolt on brackets, separate from the 6 clamps similar to the BakFlip model. These brackets will not install with the factory bed liner.
I looked at a Revolver install and the clamps are VERY similar to the MX4 and F1 (that I have) and install pretty much the same as far as I can see. And if the drop in bed liner sits "proud" on the rails instead of behind them then even though it was installed at the Factory, it could very well be installed wrong. Every drop in bed liner I have see was installed behind the bed rails to ensure they stay put. But then again, I have never seen the drop in liner in a new ranger...

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Revolver on mine with the factory bed liner. Bed liner has been out twice with no issues. They rails just clamp to the inner side of the bed rails. The bed liner sits farther in. There are some points you can not put the clamps because of the liner. You just work around them.

OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Guys - take a look at these... I'm talking about the 4 black bolt-on brackets as opposed to the Aluminum clamps. No way these can mount without with the factory liner in there.

IMG_5141 2.jpg

OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
OK, I guess I answered my own questions. I had no idea it was so easy to remove the factory drop in liner. Did it on my own no problem. Brackets installed which give the tonneau rail clamps something to securely bite against. This will make the thing completely secure.

IMG_5144 2.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
OK, I guess I answered my own questions. I had no idea it was so easy to remove the factory drop in liner. Did it on my own no problem. Brackets installed which give the tonneau rail clamps something to securely bite against. This will make the thing completely secure.

IMG_5144 2.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg
Glad you got it figured out!
Don't forget to show us the finished product... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Here's the result. Ended up pulling the liner out 2 more times to trim it just right around the brackets. Very minor, did it with a utility knife. Wanted the liner to lay completely flat on the walls.

Took a little bit of adjusting to get it completely symmetrical and square. But this thing certainly blows away the BakFlip hard trifold. Its a bit bulky when you roll it up, you can get up in the bed and use both hands to make the roll slightly smaller. I'm sure it will break in over time.

I'll post some better pics in the future. Also installed Curt receiver hitch. $100 with a coupon. Not as pretty as the factory hitch, but for $400 saved, I'm fine with it. Really only need it for my Kuat NV2.0 Rack to haul mountain bikes with.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What the hell are those brackets? I guess this is what happens when you use a checvy

IMG_5144 2.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg
This is super interesting how they did this. I have a Revolver, but it just uses the clamps on the rails. Part of this is because I modified mine to fit, because the Ranger ones didn't exist at the time. Mine is originally designed for a Chevy Colorado.

OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
What the hell are those brackets? I guess this is what happens when you use a checvy

This is super interesting how they did this. I have a Revolver, but it just uses the clamps on the rails. Part of this is because I modified mine to fit, because the Ranger ones didn't exist at the time. Mine is originally designed for a Chevy Colorado.
I would contact them and get those brackets as the rails are flimsy and there’s a 5/16” gap between the steel and the plastic bed rail covers.

According to them this is the only safe way to attach a heavier tonneau. My BakFlip almost flew off the truck and it’s a serious liability.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would contact them and get those brackets as the rails are flimsy and there’s a 5/16” gap between the steel and the plastic bed rail covers.

According to them this is the only safe way to attach a heavier tonneau. My BakFlip almost flew off the truck and it’s a serious liability.
Mine have a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum that run the length of the rail to space it in as a colorado is a little narrower in bed width. This has worked just fine, although I wouldn't stand on it.

In the future I plan to add a angle piece instead that will cover the width of the rails for a bed rack for a tent. These will be bolted in.

CountryDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
Oddly enough, I have the same cover, these brackets did not come with mine.

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just went through this same process. Didn’t have those black brackets, instructions were generic, and the rails had the rubber gaskets installed that didn’t need to be there. I pulled it off 3 times and finally figured it out. The rails would twist and it wouldn’t sit flush until I removed the rubber gasket spacers.
BDC1721C-8120-40E2-B450-EA07B71D607E.jpeg
B1CFD6A0-6E29-4F0A-B3F3-B2F5B64E263E.jpeg

Last edited:

CountryDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
I just went through this same process. Didn’t have those black brackets, instructions were generic, and the rails had the rubber gaskets installed that didn’t need to be there. I pulled it off 3 times and finally figured it out. The rails would twist and it wouldn’t sit flush until I removed the rubber gasket spacers.
BDC1721C-8120-40E2-B450-EA07B71D607E.jpeg
B1CFD6A0-6E29-4F0A-B3F3-B2F5B64E263E.jpeg
This is exactly what I went though. The instructions were not very clear on the installation. However, after a couple of calls and picture exchange withe support, I was able to successfully install the it. Now my question is, what are the brackets for and should I be calling to inquire about getting a set to install. If they are now included for safety issues, then I should probably get them.
Sponsored