TSB: SSM 47789 - 2019 Ranger – Rough Brake Application

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
It seems shameful that Ford machines rotors that they determine to have runout while the vehicle is under warrantee.
By doing this they effectively reduce the life of the rotors by making them thinner.
Honoring the warrantee should mean new rotor replacement.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It seems shameful that Ford machines rotors that they determine to have runout while the vehicle is under warrantee.
By doing this they effectively reduce the life of the rotors by making them thinner.
Honoring the warrantee should mean new rotor replacement.
Yup, and they turned mine twice... they are squeaking again at 20k miles. I’ll be calling the dealer again and getting them changed out sometime soon...

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Fear not. It's only about 0.10" total usually to clean them up. That gives you 2-3 brake jobs to go. And if they're turned on car, that's more true than out of the box.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fear not. It's only about 0.10" total usually to clean them up. That gives you 2-3 brake jobs to go. And if they're turned on car, that's more true than out of the box.
I’m really more concerned that they have done it twice, and it’s still starting to squeak in a few thousand miles or less.

swampchomp07

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Took my Ranger in last Wednesday and told the service writer that there was consistent brake squealing when I apply the brakes. Bought it abiut a month ago, it's has about 2500 miles on the odometer, brake squeak shouldn't happen.

They called me today and said it was ready so I gladly made the trip to the dealership after work to pick it up. The guy at the counter had no interest in telling me what was done (for reasons that soon became obvious) so I looked at the paper work he handed me. In a nutshell, it said they weren't able to recreate to problem after driving it around for 13 miles. I brought it up to the service guy...

Me: "What gives, it's been making this noise since I bought it and it's brand new."

Him: "Have you driven a Ford vehicle before?"

Me: "This is my 3rd Ranger. I've never owned anything without a Ford emblem on it since I was 16."

Him: "Yes, but have you driven a newer Ford truck? In all my years of experience, this is a noise that a lot of our trucks make and there's nothing you can do about it ."

That's the story. I handed my truck off for almost a week, legitimately 5 business days for this service department, for them to simply drive it around town and tell me that's just what Ford trucks do. For the record, it made the same noise every time I pressed the brake pedal on the way home. Guess I'll just have to get in there myself with some Brake Quiet.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my Ranger in last Wednesday and told the service writer that there was consistent brake squealing when I apply the brakes. Bought it abiut a month ago, it's has about 2500 miles on the odometer, brake squeak shouldn't happen.

They called me today and said it was ready so I gladly made the trip to the dealership after work to pick it up. The guy at the counter had no interest in telling me what was done (for reasons that soon became obvious) so I looked at the paper work he handed me. In a nutshell, it said they weren't able to recreate to problem after driving it around for 13 miles. I brought it up to the service guy...

Me: "What gives, it's been making this noise since I bought it and it's brand new."

Me: "This is my 3rd Ranger. I've never owned anything without a Ford emblem on it since I was 16."

Him: "Yes, but have you driven a newer Ford truck? In all my years of experience, this is a noise that a lot of our trucks make and there's nothing you can do about it ."

That's the story. I handed my truck off for almost a week, legitimately 5 business days for this service department, for them to simply drive it around town and tell me that's just what Ford trucks do. For the record, it made the same noise every time I pressed the brake pedal on the way home. Guess I'll just have to get in there myself with some Brake Quiet.

Go out there and check behind each rear wheel to see if there's any grease accumulating. If there is, take lots of pictures, and drop it back off in the morning, take a courtesy F150, or if they don't offer, wait to speak with the dealership owner.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Curt,

You have glazed the pads. Here is a suggestion. Bed in the Brakes. Traveling at 30mph, aggressively brake without locking the brakes. Aggressively accelerate to 30 mph and repeat. Do this for the 3rd time, but at the end of this do not touch the brakes after your release them...hopefully you are parked. Now do this entire process again. let the brakes cool. I am willing to bet the noise will be gone. This assumes you do not have the rear axle leak Chance indicated.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

swampchomp07

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Curt,

You have glazed the pads. Here is a suggestion. Bed in the Brakes. Traveling at 30mph, aggressively brake without locking the brakes. Aggressively accelerate to 30 mph and repeat. Do this for the 3rd time, but at the end of this do not touch the brakes after your release them...hopefully you are parked. Now do this entire process again. let the brakes cool. I am willing to bet the noise will be gone. This assumes you do not have the rear axle leak Chance indicated.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the advice, Phil! Unfortunately, I've given this method a try twice this week and I've been unsuccessful at getting rid of the brake noise. I'm not seeing any signs of a rear axle leak. Thinking maybe I should take sandpaper to the rotors and pads?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice, Phil! Unfortunately, I've given this method a try twice this week and I've been unsuccessful at getting rid of the brake noise. I'm not seeing any signs of a rear axle leak. Thinking maybe I should take sandpaper to the rotors and pads?
Hi Curt,

I would recommend using Brake Clean on the rotors... A green scotchbrite on the rotors would not hurt either. No sand paper is recommended. Hope this helps!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just took my truck in for it's 21K mile brake rotor turning... Told the service writer that I wold not accept another rotor turning as a proper solution. They called Ford directly, Fords reply was this "If it happens again before 36K miles we will replace the rotors". Gee, thanks, what if it happens after that? They claim it's documented so it would be covered, but I'm doubting that will be the case.

500 miles later the brakes have begun squeaking again in the rear... Probably need to be turned again...

So I've had the axle shaft replaced on the drivers side, I've had the rotors turned 3x, and I've had the pads replaced. What about this rear end is special? Why is it warping rotors so fast (about 2-4K miles between occurrences)?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just took my truck in for it's 21K mile brake rotor turning... Told the service writer that I wold not accept another rotor turning as a proper solution. They called Ford directly, Fords reply was this "If it happens again before 36K miles we will replace the rotors". Gee, thanks, what if it happens after that? They claim it's documented so it would be covered, but I'm doubting that will be the case.

500 miles later the brakes have begun squeaking again in the rear... Probably need to be turned again...

So I've had the axle shaft replaced on the drivers side, I've had the rotors turned 3x, and I've had the pads replaced. What about this rear end is special? Why is it warping rotors so fast (about 2-4K miles between occurrences)?
Are both sides squeaking? If the axle was even slightly bent, I could see how it would affect the rotors, but if you had the one replaced it would seem (assuming the replacement axle wasn't bent) would have fixed it - the only one would be the passenger side. It doesn't seem like it should be a difficult problem to diagnose however for a qualified mechanic.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are both sides squeaking? If the axle was even slightly bent, I could see how it would affect the rotors, but if you had the one replaced it would seem (assuming the replacement axle wasn't bent) would have fixed it - the only one would be the passenger side. It doesn't seem like it should be a difficult problem to diagnose however for a qualified mechanic.
Both sides squeal, and eventually develop a terrible shake which causes the brake pedal to be extremely inconsistent.

I could have fixed it myself, but 1. I bought a 40K brand new truck so I wouldn't have to fix anything anymore, and 2. I'm not paying for parts on a brand new vehicle that rolled off the lot this way...

My guess is there is something out of alignment, and I'll be way too far out of warranty once other trucks start running into the same issue. Unfortunately, it's an "old mans truck" so most of them are going to be averaging 5K a year instead of 3K a month...

Only thing I can think without actually diagnosing it myself is that the replacement axle as well as the other side axle is defective, and they have yet to figure out how to fix it without replacing the whole axle assembly.

The axle was replaced because it was leaking gear oil, and allegedly destroying rotors. The part (axle shaft and bearing assembly) took 6 months to arrive, and in 4K more miles the rotors were both warped beyond safely driveable again...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Both sides squeal, and eventually develop a terrible shake which causes the brake pedal to be extremely inconsistent.

I could have fixed it myself, but 1. I bought a 40K brand new truck so I wouldn't have to fix anything anymore, and 2. I'm not paying for parts on a brand new vehicle that rolled off the lot this way...

My guess is there is something out of alignment, and I'll be way too far out of warranty once other trucks start running into the same issue. Unfortunately, it's an "old mans truck" so most of them are going to be averaging 5K a year instead of 3K a month...

Only thing I can think without actually diagnosing it myself is that the replacement axle as well as the other side axle is defective, and they have yet to figure out how to fix it without replacing the whole axle assembly.

The axle was replaced because it was leaking gear oil, and allegedly destroying rotors. The part (axle shaft and bearing assembly) took 6 months to arrive, and in 4K more miles the rotors were both warped beyond safely driveable again...
Hi Chance,

You might consider getting the Field Service Engineer involved in this issue...something is really wrong here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co, Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Chance,

You might consider getting the Field Service Engineer involved in this issue...something is really wrong here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co, Retired

I'm calling Customer Care today as I had my service writer voice my complaints to Ford, which didn't work at all... I'm not sure how I get the field service engineer involved, but I'm going to discuss it with Customer Care, and see where it goes. I love the truck, but I will totally push for a buyback under lemon law if this happens a few more times... Unfortunately, by the time I get to my lemon law quota, I'll be over 36K purely because it's massively inconvenient to be without my truck so I let it squeak until it gets bad...

GW Hayduke

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've a 2019 Lariat and am experiencing a mild studder/mild bucking when braking and slowing below approx 40 mph. Sometimes after taking my foot off of the brakes the truck sometimes still feels like it is slightly bucking. Occurs 75% of the time. Only 2300 miles on truck, and this issue has been persistent since purchased. Anyone still having this issue? Wanted to take the truck in to the dealer but I couldn't find a current copy of the TSB mentioned in the IP anywhere on line.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Sponsored