Transmission skips 2nd gear.

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
I read awhile back that you can watch the truck shift gears if you push the negative button. Did it today and my truck never shift to 2nd gear?
Goes from 1st to 3rd never went to second.
Anyone else experience this. I have less than a 1000 miles on the truck.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I read awhile back that you can watch the truck shift gears if you push the negative button. Did it today and my truck never shift to 2nd gear?
Skip shift,its normal sometimes 3rd or 4th can skip also when not under a load

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Interesting, I just drove home and did as you mentioned. Same results, 2nd skipped. I’m at 11.5k miles. My truck falls under TSB-19-2052-2019, this Friday I have an appointment to hopefully get an update to the computer system. If for whatever reason that changes the skipping I’ll post back here, although it probably won’t mean much if your truck doesn’t follow under the bulletin.

oh and I also noticed it would hit 2 on the downshift, although extremely quickly, almost couldn’t catch it with my eye.

OP
OP

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
Interesting, I just drove home and did as you mentioned. Same results, 2nd skipped. I’m at 11.5k miles. My truck falls under TSB-19-2052-2019, this Friday I have an appointment to hopefully get an update to the computer system. If for whatever reason that changes the skipping I’ll post back here, although it probably won’t mean much if your truck doesn’t follow under the bulletin.

oh and I also noticed it would hit 2 on the downshift, although extremely quickly, almost couldn’t catch it with my eye.
Thanks. How do you find out about the TSB?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Mine hits 2nd a lot more after a few thousand miles, but when it does 2 it usually skips 3. There are a lot of gears, and it doesn't really need to go through them all most of the time.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Working as designed.

Many posts on this subject

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
does anyone know how to do this in forscan,
I'm looking to skip gears 2-9. they're a waste. if i could just remove them and save weight I'd be happy. I believe the trade off on weight will more than compensate fuel economy. but I'm not that mechanically inclined. I only have a metric adjustable wrench, a slotted screwdriver and a hammer. So for now, I'd just like to save the wear and tear on 2-9 so my resale value is higher in a few years.
Brah...I did this 2000mi ago using a 1" cut steak, a cleaver, two ibuprofen, a Walmart multitool, and my neighbor's deaf dog; best mod I've done to date! The MPG has gone through the roof! No doubt you and I are going to rake in the money when we go to sell!

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Put your foot on the floor from a stop. You'll hit 2nd :sunglasses:

Also: tow/haul and sport mode

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
does anyone know how to do this in forscan,
I'm looking to skip gears 2-9. they're a waste. if i could just remove them and save weight I'd be happy. I believe the trade off on weight will more than compensate fuel economy. but I'm not that mechanically inclined. I only have a metric adjustable wrench, a slotted screwdriver and a hammer. So for now, I'd just like to save the wear and tear on 2-9 so my resale value is higher in a few years.
Best laugh I had all week. Thank you.

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks. How do you find out about the TSB?
FYI, didn't happen last friday because of schedule conflicts between technicians and myself. Happening at the moment of this post. I did notice that when its cold out, my truck seems to use 2nd gear until it warms up some more. As others mentioned must be normal. Hopefully the TSB fix will allow my truck to shift smoother in lower gears/cold engine.

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
FYI, didn't happen last friday because of schedule conflicts between technicians and myself. Happening at the moment of this post. I did notice that when its cold out, my truck seems to use 2nd gear until it warms up some more. As others mentioned must be normal. Hopefully the TSB fix will allow my truck to shift smoother in lower gears/cold engine.
With PCM reprogram, still skips 2nd. truck shifts a hell of a lot better though

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With PCM reprogram, still skips 2nd. truck shifts a hell of a lot better though
Skipping gears is not an issue with this transmission - it does it all that time and it is to be expected. The only time I hit second is if I'm accelerating very slowly and then it will usually skip 4th gear.

One thing I like about this transmission is that I think it does a really good job of figuring out what gear to be in - it isn't ALWAYS correct, but it does a really good job of it. When you have 10 gears to pick from, that can't be an easy thing to program. I think Ford did a great job with it.

TexasDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2019 Ranger XLT
My last car was a 6MT and I would skip from 2nd to 4th regularly, on purpose :handsinair:
Sponsored