Auto Folding Mirror Mod Install Instructions - Pictures/Video

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
It’s not the window motor, I’m thinking it has to do with the power being sent to the mirror upon the remote start. It works everytime I start with the key, only have the issue with the remote start. ‍♂
Agree it’s not the mirror. On a cold morning when I don’t use remote start the auto unfold works fine. On some cold mornings or afternoons when I do remote start it doesn’t open. I can’t figure out why temperature would be altering the timing of signals in the module to save my life but it sure seems like that’s it.

A time or two I’ve remote started it standing there watching the mirror and it starts to unfold and then immediately stops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agree it’s not the mirror. On a cold morning when I don’t use remote start the auto unfold works fine. On some cold mornings or afternoons when I do remote start it doesn’t open. I can’t figure out why temperature would be altering the timing of signals in the module to save my life but it sure seems like that’s it.

A time or two I’ve remote started it standing there watching the mirror and it starts to unfold and then immediately stops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Could it be that the door did not open and close so the truck thinks no one is in the cab?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Could it be that the door did not open and close so the truck thinks no one is in the cab?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
that doesn't explain why the drivers side opens and the passenger side does not.

MHRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Since it started getting cold here, I have the same problem except its my driver's side that doesn't open. This happens when I remote start.
I still really like the feature.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
My passenger mirror has started to do the same thing also using remote start. I believe it has been when using the App, and only happens when temperature gets colder. Maybe around 20 degrees.

bruizer

First Name
Bruizer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My passenger mirror has started to do the same thing also using remote start. I believe it has been when using the App, and only happens when temperature gets colder. Maybe around 20 degrees.
I guess I’m glad the weather turned cold here in MN and I put off installing it till spring. Hopefully a solution to these issues will be found but until then I’m happy to let mine stay on the shelf for now as I use remote start almost 100% of the time when it’s cold out (so from now until April).

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Good to know others are seeing the same thing. This has only happened with remote start, doesn't matter if you use the app or key fob, and it only happens to me when it's cold (early morning). This past couple of weeks I went into work later and it didn't do it at all.

It's seems like the signal to open is sent too early, before the mirror powers up maybe. Perhaps a 1 or 2 second delay in the module would resolve this issue.

I love this feature and the truck should have come with this feature in the first place. Even if there is no fix, I love it and will keep it installed.

jiffy29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I messaged that seller a while ago, and they said it was not compatible with a Ford Ranger, and that it is actually for a 2016 Toyota Fortuner (Asia model).

But looking at the pictures, the connector is the same as the Ranger.

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I messaged that seller a while ago, and they said it was not compatible with a Ford Ranger, and that it is actually for a 2016 Toyota Fortuner (Asia model).

But looking at the pictures, the connector is the same as the Ranger.
interesting, i wonder what is different between it and the Ford version.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I need everyone who has the unfolding issue to post a reply with your unfold option (ignition or unlock), when it happens (remote start with either fob or app, approximate temp, how often), and everything opens and closes properly with factory switch. I'm going back and forth with thr vendor and they with the factory to try and get this solved. So, far I'm counting 6 or 7 people.

Last edited:

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Maybe due to the cold, the gears are getting bound up and there might be a sensor that prevents the mirror from opening; if that sensor is sending a signal thinking that the mirror is hitting something and to prevent damage to itself. Kinda like your garage door not closing if there is something blocking it from going all the way down.

eggic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
@RCMUSTANG I've had the unfolding issue. I don't think I've seen the issue when the temperature is above 35˚ and below 35˚ it is inconsistent. I've had both the driver's side or the passenger side not unfold and as you mentioned, it is resolved by using the factory button to unfold it.

@RCMUSTANG Sorry for the delay. New 3 month old is keeping me busy away from the computer.

So the day after I posted this the truck made a lier out of me. Drivers side mirror didn’t unfold and it was ~55F.

I have the module set to fold on lock and unfold on engine start (always use the ignition button). I’ve only had the issue parking outdoors and with inconsistent weather conditions except only in the winter. The mirrors always unfold in the garage when I accidentally lock the truck in the garage. Most of the time I just press and immediately release the factory button and it fixes the issue.

Over all the issues has been very sporadic ~1-2x per month out of ~50 or so unfold events. Not really annoying but thought I would post if it would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
@RCMUSTANG I've had the unfolding issue. I don't think I've seen the issue when the temperature is above 35˚ and below 35˚ it is inconsistent. I've had both the driver's side or the passenger side not unfold and as you mentioned, it is resolved by using the factory button to unfold it.
Can you edit your post as to whether you used the fob, app, etc? Also, is there snow, ice, indoor, outdoor parking? I want as much info as possible to give them. Thanks.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Manual button works every time.
Ignition triggers mirrors to unfold
Happens in the morning, around 40 F, with only one exception where it failed in the afternoon, but still a cold day.
Only the passenger mirror fails to unfold when this happens. Drivers mirror has never failed to unfold on my truck.
Very inconsistent, about 1 failure out of 15+ remote starts
I always use the key fob to remote start

When this happens, I just use the button and it always works - mirror unfolds.

I agree it could be related to outside temp, as I remote start everyday when I leave work and it has only failed to unfold once.

Could be the gears/sensor as already mentioned.

My theory is this is a Timing issue, where the signal to unfold is sent to the mirrors too soon. When I start my truck from inside and watch the mirrors unfold, I see they initialize, indicated by the blind spot light in the mirror flashes and then the mirror unfolds. If this is correct, then the fix would be to program a slight delay for the module to send the unfold signal. Just a guess, but given how the entire truck as to boot up or initialize, it is possible this is the issue IMHO.

The Fold command when I lock my truck has never failed. The issue for me is "unfold" when I start the truck.

Thanks RCMustang for looking into this.
Sponsored

Last edited: