Soft tonneau covers

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I installed my OEM Ford / Truxport tonneau yesterday with pretty much the same experience as yours. It is much more sturdy than the one I had on my old Ranger and that one has held up well for many years and didn't leak.

I have Line-X on my bed so I decided to use the bulkhead rail that you avoided rather than a lot of extra foam. You probably made a good move there. That step is a real pain since a washer has to be slipped over the Rube Goldberg rubber tube nut retainers supplied. The problem is it is almost impossible to do because of the narrow working space between the bed and cab. I didn't think I was a klutz and have always been a DIYer. No way was I going to unbolt the bed to install a tonneau. Lost one washer and had to fish out another one with a magnet wand. Finally decided to tie fishing line to the washers to get them on without loosing more hardware into no-mans land. It would have been easier to use 1/4-20 bolts and nuts. I have doubts about the longevity of the rubber tube retainers if I ever have to remove the cover. Will wait a while before I cut out the fishing line just in case.

I may also need to get some foam to fill gaps if it leaks too much. There are some large openings at both ends of the bulkhead. Truxedo definitely needs to improve their sealing design. Anyway, it looks great and has the Ford Parts warranty.
My rubber tube retainers pulled right through the holes before I gave up on trying to install it with the drop in liner. It's just not possible... I used composite deck board to fill in the gap, and I think I will remove it and use some high quality silicone to "stick" it to the bedliner and seal the gaps to the sides.

I was also informed that my warranty would be void (I have the Gator SR1) if I didn't install the bulkhead seal.
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
My rubber tube retainers pulled right through the holes before I gave up on trying to install it with the drop in liner. It's just not possible... I used composite deck board to fill in the gap, and I think I will remove it and use some high quality silicone to "stick" it to the bedliner and seal the gaps to the sides.

I was also informed that my warranty would be void (I have the Gator SR1) if I didn't install the bulkhead seal.
I guess the drop-in liner causes some additional problems but the assembly ends up being about the same. Try using some bolts about a 1/4" longer than the provided screws. You may have to experiment with some different lengths to find the right combination that works to allow you the get a washer, lock washer, and nut or locking nut on without dropping them and also not extend too far towards the cab when tightened. The gap between the cab and bed is small to work in. Forget it if you have big hands. You will also need nuts and matching large washers to hold the bulkhead rail in place. Tie strings to anything you might drop between the cab and bed.

Another, maybe better possibility, is to find an expanding plastic screw anchor and screw similar to other automotive inserts used in the truck. It would need to lock into the bulkhead slotted hole.

I think the bulkhead seal isn't tall enough to seal properly. I will be adding an extra foam weather stripping piece stuck to the bulkhead seal top to fill the small gap I have. The instructions talk about extra weather stripping possibly being needed. This is a bad design for the bulkhead seal in general. Truxedo should have seen the problems if they actually tried installing one on a Ranger and so should Ford for their Ford logo tonneau. This is a nightmare installation if the bed is installed on the truck.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
ythin
I guess the drop-in liner causes some additional problems but the assembly ends up being about the same. Try using some bolts about a 1/4" longer than the provided screws. You may have to experiment with some different lengths to find the right combination that works to allow you the get a washer, lock washer, and nut or locking nut on without dropping them and also not extend too far towards the cab when tightened. The gap between the cab and bed is small to work in. Forget it if you have big hands. You will also need nuts and matching large washers to hold the bulkhead rail in place. Tie strings to anything you might drop between the cab and bed.

Another, maybe better possibility, is to find an expanding plastic screw anchor and screw similar to other automotive inserts used in the truck. It would need to lock into the bulkhead slotted hole.

I think the bulkhead seal isn't tall enough to seal properly. I will be adding an extra foam weather stripping piece stuck to the bulkhead seal top to fill the small gap I have. The instructions talk about extra weather stripping possibly being needed. This is a bad design for the bulkhead seal in general. Truxedo should have seen the problems if they actually tried installing one on a Ranger and so should Ford for their Ford logo tonneau. This is a nightmare installation if the bed is installed on the truck.

I had to drive in heavy rain yesterday for about 1/2 hour. Only had a small toolbox in the bed. Water entered the bed in all four corners. It wasn't a flood but anything in the front of the bed against the bulkhead would have been wet. Water also entered around the rubber flap on the tailgate end of the cover in both corners and ran down to the bed.

Deleted member 1634

Installed the Truxedo Deuce on my SuperCrew last night. Took a bit longer than a usual tonneau install, with the additional bulkhead seal and functionality of the cover. About an hour total, still not bad though. Wasn't too bad once I got into it and started to understand how it was going together.

A good combination of roll-up and soft-folding!

Will need some practice on my part to get the front fold to open and close properly. The latch to open the front fold is still a little stiff, so hopefully that breaks in a bit more otherwise I'll just lube it up a bit. Allows great access to the accompanying Truxedo Expedition bag I also installed near the front bulkhead!

IMG_20190625_193729_180.jpg
IMG_20190625_193729_182.jpg
IMG_20190625_193729_181.jpg

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Truxedo Deuce on my SuperCrew last night. Took a bit longer than a usual tonneau install, with the additional bulkhead seal and functionality of the cover. About an hour total, still not bad though. Wasn't too bad once I got into it and started to understand how it was going together.

Will need some practice on my part to get the front fold to open and close properly. The latch to open the front fold is still a little stiff, so hopefully that breaks in a bit more otherwise I'll just lube it up a bit. Allows great access to the accompanying Truxedo Expedition bag I also installed near the front bulkhead!

Very nice cover, I've never seen one fold back like that, wish I did more research before I purchased mine. I just went with Ford’s OEM roll up.

The Truxedo expedition bag- Can it be mounted towards the rear of the truck also or just the front. I might like that option more than the swing out cases and looks like you can store a heck of a lot more. But it would have to mounted towards the rear for it to be practical for me. Thanks

Deleted member 1634

Very nice cover, I've never seen one fold back like that, wish I did more research before I purchased mine. I just went with Ford’s OEM roll up.

The Truxedo expedition bag- Can it be mounted towards the rear of the truck also or just the front. I might like that option more than the swing out cases and looks like you can store a heck of a lot more. But it would have to mounted towards the rear for it to be practical for me. Thanks
The bag can be mounted anywhere in the bed. It just clamps to the bedrails like the cover does, so it can be slid further FWD or all the way back or wherever. It definitely has more room than the swing out cases. But that means it takes up more room. I wanted it up against the FWD bulkhead to keep most of the rest of the bed still usable. Though the bag just slides into slots on the rail mounts, so it can be removed quite easily if you need that extra bed space.

The write-up for it says it's only for full size trucks and only fits beds of certain widths, but reading the reviews there were plenty of people using it in their Tacoma's and other mid-sizes, and it fits perfectly in the Ranger. The cross bars are adjustable so not sure why the manufacturer is so adamant it won't fit. Definitely a good way to carry all my small and loose junk.

https://truxedo.com/expedition-by-truck-luggage

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
The bag can be mounted anywhere in the bed. It just clamps to the bedrails like the cover does, so it can be slid further FWD or all the way back or wherever. It definitely has more room than the swing out cases. But that means it takes up more room. I wanted it up against the FWD bulkhead to keep most of the rest of the bed still usable. Though the bag just slides into slots on the rail mounts, so it can be removed quite easily if you need that extra bed space.

The write-up for it says it's only for full size trucks and only fits beds of certain widths, but reading the reviews there were plenty of people using it in their Tacoma's and other mid-sizes, and it fits perfectly in the Ranger. The cross bars are adjustable so not sure why the manufacturer is so adamant it won't fit. Definitely a good way to carry all my small and loose junk.

https://truxedo.com/expedition-by-truck-luggage
Super slick! I saw it in the Ford Accessories but didn’t know it could be mounted in the front or back. Although it does look like it would be quite a reach to put something in it from the back with the tailgate down, but closed it looks like it might be doable. Very nice setup you have.

EDIT: Just watched a Video, I’m really liking this option. Install may vary on the Ranger but I now get the idea.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Super slick! I saw it in the Ford Accessories but didn’t know it could be mounted in the front or back. Although it does look like it would be quite a reach to put something in it from the back with the tailgate down, but closed it looks like it might be doable. Very nice setup you have.

EDIT: Just watched a Video, I’m really liking this option. Install may vary on the Ranger but I now get the idea.
Yeah, it might be a bit of a reach with the tailgate down, but with it up you shouldn't have much of a problem at all. One of the pluses of getting a mid size for me was I'm able to reach over the bedrail and grab something from inside the bed without needing a step ladder or anything. Granted, I'm 6' 1" with pretty long arms, so I don't have much of a problem.

The install in that video pretty much matches for what I did in the Ranger. Not too complicated of a setup.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I installed the Gator SFX Tri-Fold a couple nights ago. I have the Ford factory drop-in bedliner, so had to get a little creative with the bulkhead bar. I ended up having to notch the corners (see picture) so it would sit flush with the front and top of the liner. I used Gorilla brand mounting tape (strong double sided tape) to mount the bar. I figured I'd see how that works before I get crazy drilling holes in my new truck lol so far so good!

The cover seems well made and was otherwise very easy to install. I drove home through a hard down pour the second day I had it, and the bed was dry when I got home aside from a few drops from the front corners (not the cover's fault). I'd recommend this as an inexpensive alternative to some of the name brand covers out there.

IMG_20190629_2021276.jpg
IMG_20190629_1037027.jpg
IMG_20190629_1037255.jpg

da808moto

First Name
Wi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT
I installed the Gator SFX Tri-Fold a couple nights ago. I have the Ford factory drop-in bedliner, so had to get a little creative with the bulkhead bar. I ended up having to notch the corners (see picture) so it would sit flush with the front and top of the liner. I used Gorilla brand mounting tape (strong double sided tape) to mount the bar. I figured I'd see how that works before I get crazy drilling holes in my new truck lol so far so good!

The cover seems well made and was otherwise very easy to install. I drove home through a hard down pour the second day I had it, and the bed was dry when I got home aside from a few drops from the front corners (not the cover's fault). I'd recommend this as an inexpensive alternative to some of the name brand covers out there.

IMG_20190629_2021276.jpg
IMG_20190629_1037027.jpg
IMG_20190629_1037255.jpg
NICE, I also have ford factory drop-in bedliner, I was planning to install the Gator Soft roll up, but it requires to drill some hole for mounting the bulkhead bar and also side brackets for the roll up rails, I end up returned. Probably gonna get the tri-fold one you got, I will use your idea of double stick tape and notch the bulkhead bar

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Roll up gives you the most space in your bed without removing it. For maximum space get the over side rail version. For lowest profile get the between bed rail version. I’ve had the low profile roll ups on 4 trucks now and never regretted it. Truxedo LoPro is my pick every time! https://truxedo.com/lopro/2019/ford/ranger
I'm liking your roll up. I like the tension adjustment idea and the warranty. Priced a little over 500 for a 6 footer. Sound about right?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I'm liking your roll up. I like the tension adjustment idea and the warranty. Priced a little over 500 for a 6 footer. Sound about right?
Yup! Amazon has them for $499 for the 6ft bed.

rwmuttmutt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger 4X4, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
USAF
I bought and installed the Gator SRX cover. I have the OEM bed liner installed on mine and only had to do minimal trimming in the front corners to clear the provided brackets to mount the cover too. No drilling at all, and no issues with the seal on the front bulk head. Super easy install just took a little time since I had to remove the bed liner to add the brackets.

aTxRanger

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Black w/BLK Appear PKG
Occupation
Software Sales

This looks great! I’m planning on installing one of these, but I am looking to install my bed lights before then. Could you maybe take a few shots on the inside of the bed where the rails are, so I can install the lights without having to redo them? Or should I just wait until the Deuce is on before installing the lights?

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I put on a leer SR250 they have a special it was 250 shipped seems pretty nice Bulk head seal should have been longer but that will be easy fix when I hit the home depot:like:
Sponsored