Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
So I picked up my XL Supercrew on Friday, am generally super pleased with it, except for the vinyl floors. My hope was that it was a tight fitting liner that would be adhesived across the surface to a firm backer. Basically the same as carpet but with vinyl.

Unfortunately, what we get is a rather loose fitting insert, that bubbles up, and moves enough to make noise. To the dealer's knowledge, that's just how it is. This was the first XL they had seen.

So I have a few theories, one is that the liner is simply slightly oversized, causing the bubbling. In theory, I could pop off a few pieces of trim, and take an exacto knife to more carefully trim the liner, then spray an upholstery adhesive underneath, and cover the thing in pie weights/ball bearings.

An easier, more expensive solution may be floor mats. In particular the HuskyLiner X-acto liners, because they are made of a soft, flexible rubber that won't slide around. However, I wonder if they weigh enough to keep the bubbles down.

Anyone have any thoughts? I dig the utility of the vinyl floor, just wish the fit/finish was a bit better.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I picked up my XL Supercrew on Friday, am generally super pleased with it, except for the vinyl floors. My hope was that it was a tight fitting liner that would be adhesived across the surface to a firm backer. Basically the same as carpet but with vinyl.

Unfortunately, what we get is a rather loose fitting insert, that bubbles up, and moves enough to make noise. To the dealer's knowledge, that's just how it is. This was the first XL they had seen.

So I have a few theories, one is that the liner is simply slightly oversized, causing the bubbling. In theory, I could pop off a few pieces of trim, and take an exacto knife to more carefully trim the liner, then spray an upholstery adhesive underneath, and cover the thing in pie weights/ball bearings.

An easier, more expensive solution may be floor mats. In particular the HuskyLiner X-acto liners, because they are made of a soft, flexible rubber that won't slide around. However, I wonder if they weigh enough to keep the bubbles down.

Anyone have any thoughts? I dig the utility of the vinyl floor, just wish the fit/finish was a bit better.
Hi Joe,

Something does not sound right! The rubber mat in the cab should be secure, not loose. As for fit, hopefully other XL owners will comment. I am not familiar with the XL trim level, but something sounds like it was misinstalled

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

I have an XL. No issues with the floor liner.
No bubbles, no noise, no movement.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The bubbling sounds pretty normal for various XL Rangers and Super Duties Iā€™ve been in over the years. I wouldnā€™t expect to get very far trying to have it fixed at the dealer.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I haven't noticed any extensive bubbling on our XL SuperCab... some is to be expected, it's the nature of the beast.

We did buy WeatherTech Floor Liners though. Just makes it so much easier to pop them out for cleaning.

Floor Liners.JPG

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't noticed any extensive bubbling on our XL SuperCab... some is to be expected, it's the nature of the beast.

We did buy WeatherTech Floor Liners though. Just makes it so much easier to pop them out for cleaning.

Floor Liners.JPG
Thanks for the info! It looks like your center console has the same sort of loose-ness as I'm experiencing, so I guess that's just how they install it.

I'm probably going to pop it up and at least get something like 3M Super 90 in there. I'll post a build log if I do.

One question though, it looks like the weathertech have mounting points that usually come with the carpeted versions. Did you install those studs, let them just sit in there or use velcro? I haven't dove into the parts diagrams to find the stud numbers, I would assume it would be as simple as poke a hole, thread the studs in, but maybe not.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Plus 1 to what Hounddog 409 said.
This is my 3rd new Ranger with a rubber floor covering. all have fit at least as well as the optional carpet.
One point which you may already know... the flooring has a thick backing of a material which serves as insulation and sound proofing. It would not do well with adhesive but it tends to lay firm over time.
Sorry for you that you didn't know that carpet was only $35, and it might have looked better to you... if not offering a better fit.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I wanted the vinyl, I also didn't order it, and I don't think the dealer would want to rip out the interior to put in carpet for $35.

I don't believe there is a firm liner under there. I have the Supercrew and on the center console in the back you can easily push in to void areas underneath. Usually one of the first things to get cut in a base trim model other than all the shiney bits is sound proofing. I can definitely tell more wind noise/injector/road noise than in the higher end trims I test drove, but that's okay.

I'm a pretty decent maker so, hopefully I can get it to a suitable point for my standards. If not, those huskyliners will work nicely.

Random Chance: Does anyone have a part number for the studs to hold down the floor mats? Just in case anyone has been down this road already.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
..... One question though, it looks like the weathertech have mounting points that usually come with the carpeted versions. Did you install those studs, let them just sit in there or use velcro? I haven't dove into the parts diagrams to find the stud numbers, I would assume it would be as simple as poke a hole, thread the studs in, but maybe not.
WeatherTech has adhesive discs to secure the floor liners to the vinyl floor mat. I didn't use them, they stay in place just fine without them.

More here: https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...e-4/supercab/ranger-floor-type-4/vinyl-floor/

"If your vehicle is equipped with vinyl flooring, please perform several test runs by inserting and removing the FloorLiner, making sure the product is in the exact placement in your vehicle before marking a spot to apply the 3M adhesive chemical stick. The adhesive grommet that you stick on the vinyl floor will be PERMANENT. If you try and remove the grommet, the vinyl flooring can potentially tear or rip out of your vehicle.

When applying the 3M adhesive chemical stick, please use sparingly in cases that you have more than two retention hooks per FloorLiner set. The 3M adhesive can take up to 24 hours to fully bond to the vinyl.

In all cases, if you are unsure how to install, please give our customer service team a call."

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I wanted the vinyl, I also didn't order it, and I don't think the dealer would want to rip out the interior to put in carpet for $35.

I don't believe there is a firm liner under there. I have the Supercrew and on the center console in the back you can easily push in to void areas underneath. Usually one of the first things to get cut in a base trim model other than all the shiney bits is sound proofing. I can definitely tell more wind noise/injector/road noise than in the higher end trims I test drove, but that's okay.

I'm a pretty decent maker so, hopefully I can get it to a suitable point for my standards. If not, those huskyliners will work nicely.

Random Chance: Does anyone have a part number for the studs to hold down the floor mats? Just in case anyone has been down this road already.
Floyd is right. The vinyl has a backing material. It's brown and "poofy" and it reminds me of horse hair. This material is the reason you're seeing the bubbles...the vinyl has nothing to solidly adhere to. Unless you get really stupid with the adhesive, I don't expect much success here.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Floyd is right. The vinyl has a backing material. It's brown and "poofy" and it reminds me of horse hair. This material is the reason you're seeing the bubbles...the vinyl has nothing to solidly adhere to. Unless you get really stupid with the adhesive, I don't expect much success here.
Ah, good to know what I'm up against. If I can just get the larger bubbles to stick, I think the Husky floor mats will do the rest to make it look nice.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I am on my 2nd XL. My '09 Ranger, I did have carpeted mat in there, and at first, it slide all over and over time as the "spikes" wore down, then it didn't slid as much

With my new Ranger, I didn't bother with the mat as I didn't want to deal with the sliding around of it. But seeing photos of the weather tech, I might get it?

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Iā€™d love to have vinyl flooring in my ranger.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I had a rubber floor in my previous Ranger XL. Certain solvents and oil based cleaners will ruin the Mat. Underneath I had a felt sheet for soundproofing. That made it ā€˜floatā€™ around as the truck got older.

The ā€˜fixā€™ I ended up with that worked pretty nicely was carpet tape. Double sided and sticky as hell. So frame metal to felt and then later felt to Mat. Lasted life of truck of 23 years.

New one Iā€™m using fitted Husky mats and they are a home run
Sponsored