Anyone heard of this?

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
One of my friends owns a Mercedes Benz that is a few years old. When he purchased the vehicle he had a shop in the area apply a thin plastic film to the front of the vehicle and hood and the front of the outside mirrors. This prevents stones from chipping the paint. It's hardly noticeable and seems like a neat feature.

I started thinking about having this done to my Ranger. But I'd like to hear from others that may have done this.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Sponsored

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
3M makes some good film. It's known as a "Clear Bra", some people also paint it with clear plastic (peelable) paint with varying degrees of success. I already have some decent stone chips on the hood and roof, so it's not a bad idea to have it done.

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Sounds like a good accessory. My 2010 Tacoma front end took a pretty good beating over 6 years which is why I'm considering it on the Ranger.

I'm thinking bumper and any paint on the front of the vehicle plus front of hood. And maybe front of roof after hearing from t4thfavor.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Do any of you actually have this on their vehicle? I'd like to know how well it works in preventing chips. There was a video on how to install it yourself. Once applied it blends right in.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Do any of you actually have this on their vehicle? I'd like to know how well it works in preventing chips. There was a video on how to install it yourself. Once applied it blends right in.
I had it installed on my Mazda in 2010 and it help up great even after the car met up with a deer in 2012. The hood folded under itself and the film never peeled off. I had it reapplied after the car was fixed and it still looks great other than where one rock struck beside the front emblem. It damaged the film but not the paint underneath. I’m very happy I put it on.

I also had it put on my Ranger about 3 days after buying it two months ago. I did the front of the hood and the area above the bumper and below the grille from fender to fender.

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Fullscale, exactly what I wanted to hear. The person I know that has it swears by it but doesn't have many miles on his vehicle. Sounds like it is a good investment if it stops the chips from stones.

Living in a rural area like I do with gravel roads the paint would probably take a beating over a few years.

Last edited:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I have the front of my Ranger covered in Xpel Ultimate PPF. Really like it so far, and pretty much no one can even see that its installed without my pointing it out to them. Already saved me from a few rock chips.

Edit: Had mine professionally installed.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just a note - I bought a laser cut kit for the front end of my truck and installed it myself. I watched a lot of videos on how to install and thought it would be relatively easy. Well, I guess I'm not as talented as I thought - it came out OK, but apparently I didn't get a few of the edges sealed down (or they popped up after I finished). I now have a few small edge areas that have collected dirt. It is still good protection. My reason for writing this is that if you do decide to do this, I would highly recommend getting it installed by a professional. I don't really think this is a do it yourself job - unless you want to potentially do it over.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a note - I bought a laser cut kit for the front end of my truck and installed it myself. I watched a lot of videos on how to install and thought it would be relatively easy. Well, I guess I'm not as talented as I thought - it came out OK, but apparently I didn't get a few of the edges sealed down (or they popped up after I finished). I now have a few small edge areas that have collected dirt. It is still good protection. My reason for writing this is that if you do decide to do this, I would highly recommend getting it installed by a professional. I don't really think this is a do it yourself job - unless you want to potentially do it over.
Good note, I should have specified I had mine professionally installed. Probably significantly higher cost than doing it yourself, but with the advantage that if I ever have any problems with it (peeling edges, yellowing, ect) in the 10 year warranty they will fix it for free.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Good note, I should have specified I had mine professionally installed. Probably significantly higher cost than doing it yourself, but with the advantage that if I ever have any problems with it (peeling edges, yellowing, ect) in the 10 year warranty they will fix it for free.
Someone told me I should have it done by a professional, but all the youtube videos make it look really easy. But then again, a good pro makes it look easy.

It is all the curves that are the killer. For flat sections I think it could be a DIY thing, but all the curves on the front end are murder. Even with a laser cut kit.

I'm probably just going to leave mine as is and deal with the black edges. I had like 3 rock chips in the front end in about 3 months and I hadn't driven too many gravel roads at that point. I'm sure it has protected my front end from many rock chips since then.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone told me I should have it done by a professional, but all the youtube videos make it look really easy. But then again, a good pro makes it look easy.

It is all the curves that are the killer. For flat sections I think it could be a DIY thing, but all the curves on the front end are murder. Even with a laser cut kit.

I'm probably just going to leave mine as is and deal with the black edges. I had like 3 rock chips in the front end in about 3 months and I hadn't driven too many gravel roads at that point. I'm sure it has protected my front end from many rock chips since then.
Nothing wrong with giving it a shot yourself! You get pretty much the same protection, and if you end up wanting to redo it you can and it still might have been cheaper. Did you do your headlights as well? One thing I noticed was that especially on compound curves, they cut reliefs in to make sure the film didnt bunch up. And one of the easiest spots to see it is on like the top edge of the headlights where is starts to wrap around.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Bought my 2011 Ranger with clear bra already applied and absolutely loved the product. Had it professionally put on my 2019 Ranger as soon as they could get me in. 4K miles later everything still looks brand new and like others mentioned people don't notice it unless the truck is really dirty and you can barely see the seam. Worth every penny in my opinion!

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One of my friends owns a Mercedes Benz that is a few years old. When he purchased the vehicle he had a shop in the area apply a thin plastic film to the front of the vehicle and hood and the front of the outside mirrors. This prevents stones from chipping the paint. It's hardly noticeable and seems like a neat feature.

I started thinking about having this done to my Ranger. But I'd like to hear from others that may have done this.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Yep..The Toyota dealer here covered the whole hood and front end with that stuff. Where ever there is a seam it fills with dirt Terrible on a white truck.

I removed the Xpel when I got home. I already had a dirt line where the plastic ended. I was shopping a Vette and saw a late model Corvette with an X Pel package it looked awful in the front. The plastic was pockmarked with small stone hits many of which tore the Expel leaving a pimple. That will be hard to remove and replace because you cannot fix a chip in Xpel. Larger stones laugh at XPel

I just think it's easier for me to fix chips and getting pretty good at it using Dr ColorChip products. Lord knows I've done it quite a few times The cheap plastic is not permanent and usually has to be replaced every few years. I would never do it on a white truck. If the chips get too bad, dealers have a guy who comes around fixing up trades, He can also deal with chips as he does it all day long. Much less expensive than an ExPel kit

HOWEVER....I don't drive the truck every day and when I do its usually around town. and having the chrome package there is far less paint on the front of the truck. Most of it is Chrome
Sponsored

Last edited: