tonneau covers American or Gator?

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Would like to know who has purchased America and/or Gator trifold covers for 5 foot beds. I see Gator has a strip to add inner tailgate area. I am leaning towards American as it does not have a spring load rear clamp. Like to hear your pros and cons on this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I was going to take some detail pictures and write up a review on my American tonneau this weekend. Overall I am happy with it.
Likes - Good price, Relatively quick and easy to install (despite the lousy instructions)
Dislikes - Lousy instructions, wish it had a better weather seal across the top of the tail gate.

Happy to answer any questions.

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
So does water get inside by tailgate when it rains? I noted Gator has some sort of weather stripping for sides of tailgate, yet not the top. Did you mention this to manufacturer or where you purchased it from? This first I have read a review with upper tailgate weather problems, thank you. Is yours for a 2019 short bed?

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I was going to take some detail pictures and write up a review on my American tonneau this weekend. Overall I am happy with it.
Likes - Good price, Relatively quick and easy to install (despite the lousy instructions)
Dislikes - Lousy instructions, wish it had a better weather seal across the top of the tail gate.

Happy to answer any questions.
SO with normal installation do you get water inside the bed? I saw where Gator also has a rubber seal for around the tailed gate. With more owners who installed these 2 brands of tonneau to report about them in here. Thanks for your info. I want a tonneau for security as well as goods in bed to stay dry when traveling.

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
SO with normal installation do you get water inside the bed? I saw where Gator also has a rubber seal for around the tailed gate. With more owners who installed these 2 brands of tonneau to report about them in here. Thanks for your info. I want a tonneau for security as well as goods in bed to stay dry when traveling.
Sorry I did not get to making my review yet - I had an issue to deal with my father this past week end.

First let me state - security and soft tonneau do not go hand in hand... Sad but that is just how it is.

I have not done any extensive water egress testing, but I think a little water could get it along the top of the gate. Its not a perfect seal but it is adequate. American Tonneau gives you extra weather stripping to seal the sides and bottom of the tailgate. I did not opt to seal the bottom of the gate, it just didn't seem to be an issue to me. But U dud di the sides of the gate and that work out fine. Anyhow, I tried to use this extra weather stripping to get a better seal along the top of the gate. Unfortunately, this did not work out. Its not the right kind for that purpose.

I think what I will do is just get some thin foam 1/8" weather strip and run it along the top of the gate and then it will be perfect.

Hard to describe all this - let me take some pictures and I will post.

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Sorry I did not get to making my review yet - I had an issue to deal with my father this past week end.

First let me state - security and soft tonneau do not go hand in hand... Sad but that is just how it is.

I have not done any extensive water egress testing, but I think a little water could get it along the top of the gate. Its not a perfect seal but it is adequate. American Tonneau gives you extra weather stripping to seal the sides and bottom of the tailgate. I did not opt to seal the bottom of the gate, it just didn't seem to be an issue to me. But U dud di the sides of the gate and that work out fine. Anyhow, I tried to use this extra weather stripping to get a better seal along the top of the gate. Unfortunately, this did not work out. Its not the right kind for that purpose.

I think what I will do is just get some thin foam 1/8" weather strip and run it along the top of the gate and then it will be perfect.

Hard to describe all this - let me take some pictures and I will post.
Thank you, I appreciate your information.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Would like to know who has purchased America and/or Gator trifold covers for 5 foot beds. I see Gator has a strip to add inner tailgate area. I am leaning towards American as it does not have a spring load rear clamp. Like to hear your pros and cons on this? Thanks in advance.
I was a very early adopter of the Gator cover. It's cheap like dirt, but actually built pretty well. Metal catches on the tailgate are nice, and seem like they will hold up. The only real issue I had was the bulkhead spacer will not fit on my truck because I have the drop in Ford liner. They did offer their Gator Guarantee which would have covered me shipping it back for a full refund, but instead I just built my own bulkhead seal. Even still my bed is always dry aside from whatever spray comes up between the grand canyon (lower tailgate gap) and the bottom of the tail gate.

7/10 would buy again.

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I was a very early adopter of the Gator cover. It's cheap like dirt, but actually built pretty well. Metal catches on the tailgate are nice, and seem like they will hold up. The only real issue I had was the bulkhead spacer will not fit on my truck because I have the drop in Ford liner. They did offer their Gator Guarantee which would have covered me shipping it back for a full refund, but instead I just built my own bulkhead seal. Even still my bed is always dry aside from whatever spray comes up between the grand canyon (lower tailgate gap) and the bottom of the tail gate.

7/10 would buy again.
Thank you, I noted they do now send rubber strips for fitting into the gaps at tailgate. This was my concern with any brand that no water gets into the bed, especially when traveling with luggage and other non commercial building items in the bed under the tonneau cover. I understand this style tonneau is not 100% security, yet as long as out of sight out of mind is in play hopefully. I welcome and thank all who comment on which brand seems to work best for the,. Also which bed rug you prefer. We reside in desert area and am uncertain if rubber type might not do well with extreme heat even under a covered tonneau. The rug style seems popular any suggestions?

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I posted in the thread linked below a while ago. I have the Gator SFX Tri-Fold cover that I installed back in June. Overall it's been a pretty good cover, especially considering the price. I was able to install it with the Ford factory drop-in bed liner with a little bit of creativity to seal the header at the front of the bed. Like mentioned above, it did come with a tailgate seal that is okay, but there's still always the risk of some water drops sneaking in (as is the case with virtually every single tonneau on the market).

We are getting some good rain today in Michigan, I can take some pics later to show the kind of water that does get it (it's relatively small, definitely doesn't pour in, and not anything I'm concerned about).

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/soft-tonneau-covers.2716/page-3#post-49172

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I posted in the thread linked below a while ago. I have the Gator SFX Tri-Fold cover that I installed back in June. Overall it's been a pretty good cover, especially considering the price. I was able to install it with the Ford factory drop-in bed liner with a little bit of creativity to seal the header at the front of the bed. Like mentioned above, it did come with a tailgate seal that is okay, but there's still always the risk of some water drops sneaking in (as is the case with virtually every single tonneau on the market).

We are getting some good rain today in Michigan, I can take some pics later to show the kind of water that does get it (it's relatively small, definitely doesn't pour in, and not anything I'm concerned about).

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/soft-tonneau-covers.2716/page-3#post-49172
Thank you for this info, I greatly appreciate it. I realize some moisture will always seep in, just hoping not too much when traveling with personal items and luggage in the bed.

Dallas09m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Super Crew
I installed the Gator trifold in the dark last night. It was about to rain and I wanted to get it on to see if it would keep the bed dry. I got it put on in about 30 minutes in the dark. No special tools or bed modification required. I didn’t realize I had it set about a half inch forward and it didn’t seal well on the top of the tailgate. I had a few little puddles of water after the overnight storm. Today I adjusted the placement and I no longer see a gap on the tailgate end. I’m really happy with this cover. It barely moved at 85mph on the highway and it is easy to open, fold, and remove. This is my first bed cover, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it is as good as I hoped. I especially like the price, the appearance, and that it is lightweight while being pretty sturdy.

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I installed the Gator trifold in the dark last night. It was about to rain and I wanted to get it on to see if it would keep the bed dry. I got it put on in about 30 minutes in the dark. No special tools or bed modification required. I didn’t realize I had it set about a half inch forward and it didn’t seal well on the top of the tailgate. I had a few little puddles of water after the overnight storm. Today I adjusted the placement and I no longer see a gap on the tailgate end. I’m really happy with this cover. It barely moved at 85mph on the highway and it is easy to open, fold, and remove. This is my first bed cover, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it is as good as I hoped. I especially like the price, the appearance, and that it is lightweight while being pretty sturdy.
Thank you for posting this.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Gator as well. Install was very easy, did take a small amount of brain-power to get it to a good spot. This is my first truck and, obviously, my first cover. While I like the look, the fit seems a bit off. I have it as far back as possible and the seal on the tailgate seems a bit short. Time will tell. Holds up well on the highway at speed, have not tested in heavy rain yet. The tailgate seal strip that it came with is good for the bottom, but did not seal the sides well enough so I picked up a Truxedo seal for the sides. Overall, I am happy with it.

7B22DE12-4AA4-4AE0-B0AB-DAB5BBDC7BEE.jpeg

OP
OP

Sky Valley

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I have the Gator as well. Install was very easy, did take a small amount of brain-power to get it to a good spot. This is my first truck and, obviously, my first cover. While I like the look, the fit seems a bit off. I have it as far back as possible and the seal on the tailgate seems a bit short. Time will tell. Holds up well on the highway at speed, have not tested in heavy rain yet. The tailgate seal strip that it came with is good for the bottom, but did not seal the sides well enough so I picked up a Truxedo seal for the sides. Overall, I am happy with it.

Thanks for posting, great looking ranger.

TKDMasterV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT - Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting, great looking ranger.
I can vouche for this. fitment seems a little off. I the tailgate has a gap unless you

Yep, tailgate seal is short. Took upu the gap with the weather stripping.
Sponsored