First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’ll be honest... I paid for the sticker. I’m very likely to never go further off-road than a 2WD will get me.
This is the first truck I've really done some off roading with,I use to be one of those mall crawlers lol. All my F150's had the Fx4 package and I never went off road once. I needed them for mostly work and hauling our snowmobiles up to Northern Maine and Canada. The Ranger is a lot smaller so it's easier to maneuver and a lot more fun. :)
Sponsored

Walkeraviator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Crew
Vehicle Showcase
This is the first truck I've really done some off roading with,I use to be one of those mall crawlers lol. All my F150's had the Fx4 package and I never went off road once. I needed them for mostly work and hauling our snowmobiles up to Northern Maine and Canada. The Ranger is a lot smaller so it's easier to maneuver and a lot more fun. :)
I had Jeeps in the past that I wheeled and they always had trail damage. I don’t want a single scratch on my Ranger. So mall crawling it is

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’ll be honest... I paid for the sticker. I’m very likely to never go further off-road than a 2WD will get me.
Mine won’t likely see much off-road either, I bought the FX4 package mainly because I wanted the skid plates and electronic locking axle for the ice and snow here in the winter!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Where in Canada did you go? Quebec?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Where in Canada did you go? Quebec?
Yes in Quebec in St Donat. Was some great riding up there but man,if you're not careful they'll rip you off while you're inside having lunch up there! We went to a bar one night and they had an area just for sleds which was in a guarded area. Some of the coldest riding I've ever done though. It's nice they have warming huts along the trails and boy we sure used them lol.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2WD, because I probably would never go off-roading in mine. But I want someone to take me off-roading in theirs in AZ. I’m down in San Tan Valley.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have a 2WD, because I probably would never go off-roading in mine. But I want someone to take me off-roading in theirs in AZ. I’m down in San Tan Valley.
There's really not to many good places to go around here except for some sandy washes but one of friends has a Jeep and we're trying to get together one day and head out to Wickenburg as he knows a few good spots out there. He just had a new born and started a new job so it might be a while but I can let you know if you want to meet out this way and ride out with me. I'm out in the west valley in Goodyear.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's really not to many good places to go around here except for some sandy washes but one of friends has a Jeep and we're trying to get together one day and head out to Wickenburg as he knows a few good spots out there. He just had a new born and started a new job so it might be a while but I can let you know if you want to meet out this way and ride out with me. I'm out in the west valley in Goodyear.
Hi Dave,

There a bunch of places here in Green Valley that are challenging. Our local Off Road Club had weekly events.. One of the fellows bought a Jeep and thought he was the "cat's Meow". The group approached a rather difficult transition and this guy tried to show the way but flipped the new Jeep on its side. They dragged it out of the transition on its side....Brand new and some $13,000 later (not paid by insurance) this jerk learned the hard way.. The other jeeps and Rangers made it through just fine. Take away is approach. get out, study, plan and then carefully navigate...Go through boldly and maybe you will just be embarrassed enough to have a catastrophic vehicle event. He was banished from the club.. A two star General in the Air Force that "knew everything" better than anyone else. When I taught the advanced off road school...this two star violated all of our teachings... He has no clue of my "skill set" because my father was just a lowly Major... We have no current relationship due to his embarrassment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We went back to Sedona yesterday to hit a few different trails. The first one was Schnebly Hill Rd. It's about 7 miles long and nothing but rocks. Nothing real large, a few tricky areas but it's just a rock landmine everywhere. The ones that throw you all over even going 3-4 mph. It took over 2 hours and now I could use a dual kidney transplant. lol

Second was Diamondback Gulch. We did this several years ago when we rented a side x side and it was a good trail. The first 1/3 is pretty easy then you hit the gulch and there's a few good drop offs and a nice steep incline with a few good rocks at the top to maneuver. The trail control works really good in these areas as you want to drop down slow and just set it at 3-4 mph and letting it do it's thing. The trail is moderate with a couple tricky spots but nothing to aggressive. The Ranger handled it with ease! :rockon:

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
We went back to Sedona yesterday to hit a few different trails. The first one was Schnebly Hill Rd. It's about 7 miles long and nothing but rocks. Nothing real large, a few tricky areas but it's just a rock landmine everywhere. The ones that throw you all over even going 3-4 mph. It took over 2 hours and now I could use a dual kidney transplant. lol
Aired down ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Aired down ?
Yes I was down to 22 lbs and had the terrain management set to normal. I tried gravel but didn't notice and really difference so I just set it back to normal. The trial control worked great when going over the larger rocks.

All the pictures above are from the second trail. The first one (Schnebly Hill Rd) was so bad I just wanted to get out of there and only took a couple when we were at the top which was the easiest part. It was one of those where every corner you were praying it was the last and then there was another stretch.

You can come in from either the highway or the center of Sedona. Most people come in from the center of Sedona then you go up about 7 miles and stop and come back down. We came in from the highway which is 13 miles long but the first 5-6 miles is mostly a smooth fire road. There are some great views and I've heard that the sunsets are great from there but I wasn't going back up to find out. lol

IMG_2603.jpg

Snoopy Rock.
IMG_2604.jpg

Cathedral Rock
IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's a couple good recent Youtube videos showing the trail and the scenery. We did all these trails a few years ago on a side x side and it's so much smoother and faster but I wanted to see how the Ranger did on these same trails.

This one is mostly a scenic video.

This was the last comment from this video posted 3 weeks ago:

I was just there last week. I have 10" clearance and ~26 degree approach angle, and the jeep tours passing by told me not to go. I have AWD with a differential lock, but coming from the Sedona side, the first drop was high enough that I turned back. Wasn't worth it. Many people said the trail has changed in the last three years quite a bit. Even the part we were able to drive on was so rocky, it's more of a pain then fun off roading. So make sure you have lifts if you go out there.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Here's a couple good recent Youtube videos showing the trail and the scenery. We did all these trails a few years ago on a side x side and it's so much smoother and faster but I wanted to see how the Ranger did on these same trails.

This one is mostly a scenic video.

This was the last comment from this video posted 3 weeks ago:
Beautiful country Dave!!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Beautiful country Dave!!

It is really nice up here in the high country! AZ has such different topography all over the state. It's so nice going from the heat here in the valley and only a 2 hour drive you can be at 7000' in Flagstaff where it's 30+ degrees cooler.