Towing RV with 2019 Ranger

JPAG1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2019
Good day. I'm a new owner of a Ford Ranger XLT. I am looking for buying a RV and the one I'm looking at right now has a dry weight of 4500 lbs. Given that I want to do a lot of traveling with it (not just carrying on the RV from my home to a nearby camping site), I suspect it's too heavy. I heard somebody telling me I should not go beyond 4000 lbs. Does anybody can help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My camper is 4500# loaded, it has a frontal area of 8'6"X10'2" and tows like a dream. If you keep your load sensible, you should be completely fine with something that heavy granted you aren't towing a 7% grade for 11 miles. That said, would you be better off with a half ton? Probably.

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm towing a Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB travel trailer. Around 17ft long box (20ft bumper to hitch), only 7ft wide, and about 3800lbs ready to tow. I have a Husky Centerline weight dist. hitch with sway control. When semi trucks go by I feel the back end swaying a lot. Sometimes its scary. I've been towing RV's for years and my last truck was a Titan towing same RV without weight dist. hitch. It towed much better. I'm not sure what's going on as others seem to tow ok with wider and longer trailers.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm towing a Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB travel trailer. Around 17ft long box (20ft bumper to hitch), only 7ft wide, and about 3800lbs ready to tow. I have a Husky Centerline weight dist. hitch with sway control. When semi trucks go by I feel the back end swaying a lot. Sometimes its scary. I've been towing RV's for years and my last truck was a Titan towing same RV without weight dist. hitch. It towed much better. I'm not sure what's going on as others seem to tow ok with wider and longer trailers.
Mine tows fine, my guess is it's your past experience betraying you.

For example, I towed the same trailer with a Jeep Liberty Diesel, and it swayed crazily. So I'm used to that, and when I got to the Ranger it's exceptionally less crazy. So my experience is good.Yours is a slightly less extreme version of the reverse of mine.

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Are you using a weight dist. hitch and/or sway control?

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
My camper is almost identical to size and weight of yours. I use a WD hutch and a sway control bar. I found having more tongue weight made a significant improvement(towing with water in the tanks). I’ve got different tires than stock, and I air up to 45-48psi. In windy conditions, I still notice sway. A change in suspension And the addition of a rear sway bar may be in order to further improve things

9E170E80-1CD6-4F80-8A2E-9D04F43D644A.jpeg

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I think my problem might be my tongue seems high. My trailer is not level after connecting to the truck. The front of the trailer sits high. The RV place that put the weight dist hitch on for me says they do it that way so you can put more weight in your truck bed. I typically don't carry much weight in my bed when towing. Maybe I'll try adding more weight to get the trailer level and see if that helps. Your trailer does look about same size as mine except mine is tandem axle.

blue-minnie.jpg

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I’d certainly adjust the nose of the trailer down. With a tandem axle, you should be much more stable than my single axle

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
I think my problem might be my tongue seems high. My trailer is not level after connecting to the truck. The front of the trailer sits high. The RV place that put the weight dist hitch on for me says they do it that way so you can put more weight in your truck bed. I typically don't carry much weight in my bed when towing. Maybe I'll try adding more weight to get the trailer level and see if that helps. Your trailer does look about same size as mine except mine is tandem axle.

blue-minnie.jpg
Can you get a hitch for the receiver with more vertical drop?

Booner13

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 crew cab sport
Occupation
Receiving
Ive been looking for an Rv to pull with my new Ranger, and have been looking at the Winnebago micro Minnie for not only build quality but also it being 7ft wide and the biggest model being only 4100lbs dry weight.
What ive learned thou is, they have to sit level when being towed seeing they are equipped with the torsion axles. With your hitch being high, you're probably putting to much weight on one axle which will cause more sway as well as going over the max weight that axle can handle.
im no expert, just been doing alot of research before making my rv purchase. Big reason I'm on this site..which has been very informative.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you get a hitch for the receiver with more vertical drop?
I would read the manual for the hitch height of the rv, then load your truck to the typical weight and then reset the head height (either yourself or make the rv dealer do it).

they probably weren’t expecting the tiny bit of squat that the ranger has.

Doctorfong

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX/FX4 (Wife's Car 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth)
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
We're looking into getting a RV as well. The specs on the one we want is
Gross Dry Weight 4450 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 440 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4010 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1750 Lbs.
GVWR 6200 Lbs.

Making sure this won't be a problem.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We're looking into getting a RV as well. The specs on the one we want is
Gross Dry Weight 4450 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 440 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4010 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1750 Lbs.
GVWR 6200 Lbs.

Making sure this won't be a problem.
some will say yes, I say no, not a problem at all.
Sponsored