XL/XLT halogen to LED/HID upgrades

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I figured we could maybe get a thread going to compile everyone's LED/HID upgrades from halogen.

I found a website, bulbfacts.com that reviews all kinds of lighting upgrades from Amazon. From his information, I bought the Hikari Ultra LED kit.

Here are the results:
IMG_20190922_225236703.jpg

Stock halogens:
IMG_20190922_225941161.jpg

I didn't want something that would create too much glare but I did want some more foreground light with a little more light at the edge.

The only downfall is that the covers will not fully seat because the fan motor is so big. They can be partially installed to keep dust and water out for the most part.

I would recommend the Hikari Ultra kit.
Sponsored

Dgm3306

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Registered Respiratory Therapist
I purchased:

H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized 80W 16,000LM Per Pair High Bright, AUXITO H11/H8/H9 Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit with Cooling Fan, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD6G42D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eR.MDbJPCXX1X

And

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair Extremely Bright, AUXITO 9005(HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCSJQYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FR.MDbFX3WS87

They both have the resistors built in and can easily be tucked into the headlight compartment and the dust covers fit on both the low and high beam bulbs without any issues.

I didn't really have to do any adjusting of the bulbs aside from lowering the low beams a little but the beam pattern is pretty good and it's a nice bright light.

20191007_220054.jpg

20191007_220146.jpg

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to go with the Diode Dynamics lamps, but they have a lot of fitment problems in the new Ranger and they have taken them off their Ranger page for now. They are working on an updated version for cars that have fitment problems. Instead I went with the Hikari Ultras and am happy with them so far. I've also had them on our old Ranger for about a year with no problems.

EDIT: I also ordered a set of these to replace the hard dust covers that don't fit back on, but haven't had time to try them out yet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q9D52Z/

I figured we could maybe get a thread going to compile everyone's LED/HID upgrades from halogen.

I found a website, bulbfacts.com that reviews all kinds of lighting upgrades from Amazon. From his information, I bought the Hikari Ultra LED kit.

Here are the results:
IMG_20190922_225236703.jpg

Stock halogens:
IMG_20190922_225941161.jpg

I didn't want something that would create too much glare but I did want some more foreground light with a little more light at the edge.

The only downfall is that the covers will not fully seat because the fan motor is so big. They can be partially installed to keep dust and water out for the most part.

I would recommend the Hikari Ultra kit.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I used Morimoto 2 Strokes 2.0's in my 2016 Fusion, I had owned before my ranger. I liked them a lot. Tried Diode Dynamics before the Morimotos and had very bad fitment issues and 2 bulb failures in 2 months. I wouldn't recommend running HIDs unless you're going to do a projector retrofit. I good quality LED bulb set should work well without too much glare.

SuperM

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I went with the Headlight Revolution recommended GTR Led. A liite difficulty during the install on the passenger side. Inhad to lower the beams. But does anyone know how to adjust horizontal alignment? My passenger light pattern is a little too far out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I purchased:

H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized 80W 16,000LM Per Pair High Bright, AUXITO H11/H8/H9 Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit with Cooling Fan, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD6G42D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eR.MDbJPCXX1X

And

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair Extremely Bright, AUXITO 9005(HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCSJQYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FR.MDbFX3WS87

They both have the resistors built in and can easily be tucked into the headlight compartment and the dust covers fit on both the low and high beam bulbs without any issues.

I didn't really have to do any adjusting of the bulbs aside from lowering the low beams a little but the beam pattern is pretty good and it's a nice bright light.

20191007_220054.jpg

20191007_220146.jpg
So as much as you are trying your comparison is invalid. Open field vs a garage door show no difference beside light color

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I went with the Headlight Revolution recommended GTR Led. A liite difficulty during the install on the passenger side. Inhad to lower the beams. But does anyone know how to adjust horizontal alignment? My passenger light pattern is a little too far out.
No horizontal adjustment only vertical. Are the bulbs adjustable for clocking? Clocking them so the LEDs are at 3:00 and 9:00 may help

SuperM

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
No horizontal adjustment only vertical. Are the bulbs adjustable for clocking? Clocking them so the LEDs are at 3:00 and 9:00 may help
I will double check. But Im pretty sire the base only fits 1 way.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I will double check. But Im pretty sire the base only fits 1 way.
Yes the base only fits the housing one way. The bulbs themselves may need to be adjusted. Not sure about the ones you have but so.e are adjustable so the LEDs face the right way when installed. It is called clocking.

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT sport 4x4
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
So as much as you are trying your comparison is invalid. Open field vs a garage door show no difference beside light color
I just got a 21 ranger XLT. was wondering if any of you see a difference in distance and if glare is minimal? i am hoping to get some feedback like you folks to make right decision.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just got a 21 ranger XLT. was wondering if any of you see a difference in distance and if glare is minimal? i am hoping to get some feedback like you folks to make right decision.
If you want to go with LED lights that is totally okay as long as you have a projector housing. You don't really get extra distance with LED lights in the halogen housings as they don't reject that well. Also they cause against the other drivers regardless what others might want to think. I currently have projector headlights in my XLT and I can tell you right now I have much further beam than the reflector and I don't cause the glare to other drivers

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT sport 4x4
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly the response i need. hoping to find someone here who has the experience on road conditions

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I would just go with a full head light replacement. These are the ones I am eyeing:

Ford Ranger AlphaRex LUXX Series Alpha Black LED Headlights
Sponsored