Towing Questions

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Did you happen to figure anything else out here? My truck is coming without tow package and I’m planning on adding it. Bolting on the hitch should be easy, but I can’t tell if I will need to add a 7pin connector or do any orther wiring work.
That part looks correct for the bracket, but says Class I in the description. It can't be class I as the bumper alone tows more than that, and it has a 2" receiver.

I did confirm it does not have the wire harness or the 7 pin connector. I know the bumper mount connector is on back order. I have not yet found the right harness.

My dealer said they would call as soon as the complete package shows up as in stock.

Looking at bottom of truck, this looks like a fairly easy upgrade. You do need to pull the entire bumper, but its 4 screws and one wire harness connector. Swap out the light duty plate and 4 pin harness for the heavy duty plate and harness, 6 screws remounts.

I think figuring out what to order is proving to be the difficult part, but should clear up as soon as Ford puts the entire package online.
Sponsored

First Ford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Adding to this thread. I have a question around towing and the math. After reviewing the Ford document for towing below:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

The advertised GCWR is listed for a 4x4 with the towing package is 12,500lbs with a max of 7,500lbs. The GVW of the ranger is 6,050lbs. I would interpret this to mean that while I might max out at 7,500lbs, I wouldn't be able to pull more than 6,450lbs (with no load in the truck), subtracting the truck GVW from the GCWR.

Is this a true conclusion?

First Ford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Next Question: The Curb weight for the 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Supercrew is 4,354lbs and the GCWR is 12,500lbs. If you max the 7,500lbs of towing weight out, does that only leave 646lbs for passengers and cargo?

First Ford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

First Ford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Next Question: Can changing my tires from the Hankook Dynapro ATM 18 in to the General Grabbers ATX, with in increased load rating change any of these figures? from the math, it looks like with the Hankook and load rating of 120 (3,086lbs) and the ATX have a load rating of 123 (3,417lbs). This appears to be a 1,324lbs difference with the ATX tires, would this mean that you could increase the GCWR?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Adding to this thread. I have a question around towing and the math. After reviewing the Ford document for towing below:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

The advertised GCWR is listed for a 4x4 with the towing package is 12,500lbs with a max of 7,500lbs. The GVW of the ranger is 6,050lbs. I would interpret this to mean that while I might max out at 7,500lbs, I wouldn't be able to pull more than 6,450lbs (with no load in the truck), subtracting the truck GVW from the GCWR.

Is this a true conclusion?
No, you're mixing the GVWR with the GVW. The truck weighs 4400something pounds. You subtract that from the 12500 to get to the 7500 plus some in-truck payload.

Next Question: The Curb weight for the 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Supercrew is 4,354lbs and the GCWR is 12,500lbs. If you max the 7,500lbs of towing weight out, does that only leave 646lbs for passengers and cargo?
Yes (this is also part of the answer to the first question)

Next Question: Wouldn't curb weight (4,354lbs) plus the payload (1,650lbs) adding the max towing (7,500lbs) give you the GCWR? Specs taking from the document below:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2019/ranger/19RAN_Tech_Specs.pdf

These numbers add to 13,504lbs which exceeds the GCWR of 12,500lbs....can someone provide some insight?
Max payload is independent of the max tow. You can have one or the other, not both at the same time. Note that the trailer tongue weight is part of your payload!

Next Question: Can changing my tires from the Hankook Dynapro ATM 18 in to the General Grabbers ATX, with in increased load rating change any of these figures? from the math, it looks like with the Hankook and load rating of 120 (3,086lbs) and the ATX have a load rating of 123 (3,417lbs). This appears to be a 1,324lbs difference with the ATX tires, would this mean that you could increase the GCWR?
No, the GCWR takes a lot more than just the tires into account. That said, if you use tires with a lower weight rating you may lower your overall capacity.

GrayGen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received Ranger September 19th. Hot Pepper Red Lariat 4x2. Locking rear axle 501 package Spray bedliner Bed extender & more
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Suddenly I don't enjoy math anymore. 2 Advil and a good night sleep I'll be fine. Glad my trailer only weighs 3850 +/- lbs.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
No, you're mixing the GVWR with the GVW. The truck weighs 4400something pounds. You subtract that from the 12500 to get to the 7500 plus some in-truck payload.
I could be wrong here but I think payload refers to all the cargo weight that the Ranger can carry. This would include passenger's, cargo inside the truck and cargo in the bed. For 2019 Ranger's the payload capacity varies from 1,609 to 2,128 lbs. Subtracting the ~4400 pounds of curb weight from the GCWR gives you the maximum amount of cargo weight plus trailer weight that the Ranger can handle.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Suddenly I don't enjoy math anymore. 2 Advil and a good night sleep I'll be fine. Glad my trailer only weighs 3850 +/- lbs.
Think of it this way. There are three requirements you have to worry about:
  1. Your trailer weight cannot exceed 7500 pounds according to Ford's specifications.

2. If you go to a scale with your truck loaded with all passengers and all cargo and your trailer hooked up, then drive your Ranger onto the scale (excluding the trailer axles). That weight cannot exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of your Ranger (see sticker on driver's door jamb).

3. If you go to a scale with your Ranger loaded with all passengers and all cargo and your trailer hooked up, then drive your Ranger and trailer onto the scale. That combined total weight cannot exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Ranger which is 12,500 pounds.
You cannot exceed the weight limit for any of those three requirements.

Last edited:

First Ford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Think of it this way. There are three requirements you have to worry about:
  1. Your trailer weight cannot exceed 7500 pounds according to Ford's specifications.

2. If you go to a scale with your truck loaded with all passengers and all cargo and your trailer hooked up, then drive your Ranger onto the scale (excluding the trailer axles). That weight cannot exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of your Ranger (see sticker on driver's door jamb).

3. If you go to a scale with your Ranger loaded with all passengers and all cargo and your trailer hooked up, then drive your Ranger and trailer onto the scale. That combined total weight cannot exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Ranger which is 12,500 pounds.
You cannot exceed the weight limit for any of those three requirements.
Thank you, I haven't ever really given much thought since I have come from heavy duty trucks, but I wanted to make sure I fully understand. Before exploring recreational activities to ensure I know what my trailer, towing and the different weight ratings differentiation meanings.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong here but I think payload refers to all the cargo weight that the Ranger can carry. This would include passenger's, cargo inside the truck and cargo in the bed. For 2019 Ranger's the payload capacity varies from 1,609 to 2,128 lbs. Subtracting the ~4400 pounds of curb weight from the GCWR gives you the maximum amount of cargo weight plus trailer weight that the Ranger can handle.
Yes, by "in-truck payload" I meant "payload that isn't in the trailer"; it can be in the bed, in the cab, the passengers, etc. Note that this measurement does not treat the trailer tongue weight specially (it's already accounted in the trailer weight), but the tongue weight does matter when checking against the rear axle rating and GVWR.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The easy way is to go to a truck stop with scales. You will get three weights, the total, the truck loaded, and the trailer loaded. With those weights you can determine tire capacity and air pressure on truck and trailer. The truck capacity as in springs ,engine, trans, safety can be overloaded on short trips but not always. When you overload either the truck or the trailer or both you are on your own and have to pay the consequences. Just saying. I would be interested to know how much room for error Ford has when determining these Max. weights.

Last edited:

tombdmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2x4
I've also got a 2x4 XLT and waiting for a tow package to arrive for the dealer to install. My understanding is that the hitch has no ETA, but the wiring harness is in. I got the 301A tech package that includes BLIS, so all that is missing is the 7-pin connection and 2" hitch to perform just like a factory installed 7,500 lb towing machine. I need the 7-pin for my travel trailer, so the factory installed 4-pin won't work. I think an additional wire has to be run to the battery for the 7-pin to work and not as simple as swapping out the harness. What I don't know is if the new factory harness will be installed in the cutout on the bumper or attached to an aftermarket bracket under the bumper. No-one at the dealer seems to know.

I have the P3 brake controller and plan to install once everyone thing is in. I found the four wires under the dash near the driver side door and plan to attached to a magnetic phone mount next to the shifter (no 4X4 controller in the way). This way I can remove it when not in use and does not get in the way of my knees.

If no hitch arrives in the next month or so, I will probably order everything from etrailer and do the install myself. Only difference might be is that the factory hitch comes with bumper modifications that recess the hitch up into the bumper slightly.
If I can't tow anything then all I have is a sports car for dirt roads.

BTW, two reasons I got the 2X is for better fuel milage and the curb weight is less, therefor allowable hitch and cargo weight greater. Plus it was $4K less.

Anyone heard anything on hitch ETA?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For 7 pin all you need is a different connector--all the wires are there. Look around in threads about adding the towing package and you'll find the part number and pictures.
Sponsored