Ok Ford...you're next (trailer brake controller)

robsquatch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I was at the Ford owner's Event at their HQ over the weekend and their engineering team confirmed that there will NOT be an OEM trailer brake controller available on this generation Ranger. They will be adding an integrated controller to the next gen model, slated for 2023.

On a side note, it was hinted that there will be a Bronco equivalent to the Gladiator.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I was at the Ford owner's Event at their HQ over the weekend and their engineering team confirmed that there will NOT be an OEM trailer brake controller available on this generation Ranger. They will be adding an integrated controller to the next gen model, slated for 2023.

On a side note, it was hinted that there will be a Bronco equivalent to the Gladiator.
This is NOT GOOD NEWS!!! How can they not offer an integrated brake controller.

Thanks for the heads up and letting us know.

I am NOT happy and I know others won't be happy either.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Most people assumed they'd just sell the redarc as an accessory, an integrated controller was always unlikely given the lack of a spot in the dash for it.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Most people assumed they'd just sell the redarc as an accessory, an integrated controller was always unlikely given the lack of a spot in the dash for it.
My concern is that it works with all the installed tech.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
with enough hopes and dreams you might be able to get ford to be more specific about the concerns. most people seem to have just installed a brake controller and moved on.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
with enough hopes and dreams you might be able to get ford to be more specific about the concerns. most people seem to have just installed a brake controller and moved on.
Sarcasm doesn't fit these posts well. I was holding out for the Ford controller.

I will certainly move on.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarcasm doesn't fit these posts well.
Unfortunately, there's not much else to say. It isn't clear what the issue is (so you could ask a brake controller manufacturer whether they've addressed the issue) or even whether the note in the manual is even relevant--it wouldn't be the first thing that got copy & pasted from the Australian version or the F150 manual which was flat out wrong with regard to the US ranger. It seems to be impossible to get correct and knowledgeable answers to questions like this out of Ford. (People who ask their dealer questions get back all kinds of BS responses, and if you're lucky a Ford corporate person will point you to the manual.) I'd love it if better information were available, but it isn't.

I was holding out for the Ford controller.
I still wouldn't be surprised if Ford releases a trailer brake controller--it just won't be "integrated".

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I just got off the phone with my dealership. They tell me there will be a Ford controller, they have it on order and it should be available mid-December. We'll see.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Since I don't have a need for one now I'll wait to see what Ford brings out. I still have an old school mechanical based proportional Kelsey Hayes unit I could install if I need to.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
First hand that it works. It won't activate trailer brakes automagically if your automatic emergency braking kicks in, but in that event any competent person would be on the brakes nearly instantly upon sounding of the AEB alarm, so I still see it as a non-issue.

I have a Teknosha Prodigy P3, and it works perfectly. It works in AU, it's essentially the exact same Ranger, safety included, so it should work here.
Sponsored