OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Fie.jpg
The original tires that I tried actually had more sidewall give than I liked. I did not like the handling (comfort was outstanding). The new tire has a thicker sidewall yet actually weighs less. it is prefect for this application, 1.5" sidewall increase for comfort that provides enhanced ride height as an unexpected bonus that is well under control (w/ this tire at least.) with no mods. lifts or levels. Just a odometer calibration.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
"One over" was started in road racing because it actually improved handling.
Like any good thing there can always be "too much".

Profile change is used when increasing rim size to maintain overall tire/wheel diameter. But it is also used along with Compound, tread pattern, and sidewall construction to reach the sweet spot for traction, handling, ride, and economy .
Unfortunately, improving in one area often means sacrificing someplace else, like trading some ride comfort to improve handling, or trading tread life for better traction.
Yep exactly, I had a little Ford Fiesta I lowered and put some nice wheels and tires on. Drove on rails but definitely sacrificed comfort. But when talking about a pickup truck... more tire lol

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Hi Folks,

Wife and I had a heart to heart talk tonight about where we are in retirement, our declining health due to age and what we are about. In the end, she said that she thought I should continue to support these forums as part of my being a Ford Ambassador.

So pondering it for a day or two...it means to me that I have to redevelop the thick skin and ignore the Know It Alls.

The beauty of retirement is that I can choose what to do with my time, and our association with people that we like.

So, I will be using the Ignore function and support the Forums as best I can. I am up to a good challenge but I am not going to put up with Trolls...

What I will not be doing is any assessments of many of the structural mods, of which many I cringe. That causes way to many complaints from people that spent their hard earned money on these mods. So my posts will be, I hope specific to providing the help I can.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Glad you are able to stay.. I really do appreciate your story and other facts and history of the Ranger as I've had loved the Ranger as a young teenager!

Thanks again for everything you've done and shared with us here!!

Jay

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Lariat with 18's and the ride is superior to my wife's Jeep Patriot Latitude. We took it from Cleveland to Lakeland FL (2250) and my wife was comfortable all the way down. Just my 2 cents worth. Ride is great , handling great.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
20191019_171620.jpg
20191019_171636.jpg
Dearborn is there a problem?

The oem16" wheel put on today to gain some sidewall to compensate for the rough ride. Went to put on the center caps bought from a fellow Ranger 5G er that arrived today and what do I see. 17" on the passenger and 18" on the driver.
Why would you assume that has anything to do with inches or wheel size?

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
I am convinced that it should not take after market shocks and added compensation via sidewall height increase in order to get an acceptable ride quality from a 2019 vehicle. Based on my experience as a truck owner specifically a Ranger owner for several decades, and using a small variety truck models for my work vehicle for the past decade and having owned a 2015 Colorado, as well as currently having a 2017 Canyon in the family, I suspected there may be a malfunction with my truck. The first wheel i looked said 17 which correlates with the wheels that came with the truck, the opposite side said 18 which is also a wheel size that comes with this vehicle. When you are biased about something sometimes it can affect your train of thought.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I am convinced that it should not take after market shocks and added compensation via sidewall height increase in order to get an acceptable ride quality from a 2019 vehicle. Based on my experience as a truck owner specifically a Ranger owner for several decades, and using a small variety truck models for my work vehicle for the past decade and having owned a 2015 Colorado, as well as currently having a 2017 Canyon in the family, I suspected there may be a malfunction with my truck. The first wheel i looked said 17 which correlates with the wheels that came with the truck, the opposite side said 18 which is also a wheel size that comes with this vehicle. When you are biased about something sometimes it can affect your train of thought.
This is the first of many Rangers which I have owned which did not need shocks and/or suspension work in order to perform and ride to my satisfaction.
My Ranger leaves me rested and comfortable after 600 miles in a day of driving, with or without a trailer.
Within the range offered on this truck, sidewall height is irrelevant, although tire choice is important, when all factors are considered.
My truck is a 2WD with 17" wheels.

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Sidewall height has been proven to be be relevant in my actual experience. After upgrading my front and rear shocks I put the original wheels and tires back on the truck and drove it for several weeks specifically to test them with the new shocks. After that testing I increased the sidewall height and the difference was immediate and material in comparison.

My testing disproves with your theory on the subject of sidewall height on this vehicle.

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
I set up a qualitative test: Does ride comfort improve with a taller sidewall specifically 265 75 16; all other things being equal? The answer is yes. Therefore it is not a theory or opinion; it is a fact.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I set up a qualitative test: Does ride comfort improve with a taller sidewall specifically 265 75 16; all other things being equal? The answer is yes. Therefore it is not a theory or opinion; it is a fact.
Every tire is engineered differently to meet a purpose.
Sidewall stiffness and flex varies from tire to tire.
So you could easily have shorter sidewall with more flex than a taller sidewall on another tire.
We once put a set of Yokies on a Fiesta, the sidewalls were so stiff that they supported the car with no air in them.
If your truck is 4WD the tires provided will be different from those provided on the 2WD, both in tread and sidewall construction.
If you want the best ride in a tire that will still meet the most of the load rating needs for how you use your truck....
There is even a passenger tire specially engineered for SUVs which is called "extra load".
My TC has them and still has a1580 pound payload rating.

The world of tires has not stood still since Grampa's Nylon biased plys of the 1960s.
Even back then the same sized Rayon tire gave a much smoother ride.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I trully hope that Phil does not quit posting because this site needs more science and less opinions based on 1 off subjective tests. I have learned to take subjective opinions with a grain of salt and sometimes poke a little fun or stir the soup. This post has gone off the rails but many posts do that. Casting marks/numbers are just that casting marks/numbers. Without knowing exactly what they mean you cant assume anything. :)

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
"I have great confidence in the 4x4 capabilities of my Ranger, and can tell already that it will be considerably better than my trade in was in that regard. I will get her out there and have a little fun, but 16" wheels and significantly taller sidewalls are on tap first. Tires are here oem 16's are on the way." -Me

"HI CDV,

Yep....Tires do make a big difference with sidewall flex....Big thing for OEM is that some of the aftermarked treads cause a ton of tire noise on road. In my old 70 year old body, I try to walk 3 miles each day in the desert on back roads that are sort of paved...I can here the modified 4x4s coming my way way before they see me as they are so noisy...These owners trade off the tire noise for better performance. OEM cannot really do this, so we leave it to the aftermarket."

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Drop mic depart the sidewall topic in this thread.

-CDV
Sponsored