Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wish you weren't going, Phil. You have been a valuable asset to this forum and you will be missed.
Hi Al,

Thanks!

Will be lurking on the site from time to time...and will occasionally post. Lets just say that things change and getting old is not for sissies... Who knows....I may be unable to stay away too...Time will tell...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi,

I think this is a coincidence. It is likely a tooling cavity indicator that can be used to radar in on a problem with the tooling if it occurs. Or as indicated it could be a date code, but I doubt that. Never heard of axles keyed to wheel diameter. I highly doubt the axle knows what wheel it will see at the assembly plant:)

By the way....Folks will be seeing little of me anymore...I am stepping away from the Forums as it becomes more about mods on the Ranger and I have other fish to fry now... I will check in from time to time and one of the moderators will text me if he thinks I can provide useful info... Good luck to All forum members!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I’m going to miss the valuable knowledge as well!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to miss the valuable knowledge as well!
Hi Folks,

Wife and I had a heart to heart talk tonight about where we are in retirement, our declining health due to age and what we are about. In the end, she said that she thought I should continue to support these forums as part of my being a Ford Ambassador.

So pondering it for a day or two...it means to me that I have to redevelop the thick skin and ignore the Know It Alls.

The beauty of retirement is that I can choose what to do with my time, and our association with people that we like.

So, I will be using the Ignore function and support the Forums as best I can. I am up to a good challenge but I am not going to put up with Trolls...

What I will not be doing is any assessments of many of the structural mods, of which many I cringe. That causes way to many complaints from people that spent their hard earned money on these mods. So my posts will be, I hope specific to providing the help I can.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi Folks,

Wife and I had a heart to heart talk tonight about where we are in retirement, our declining health due to age and what we are about. In the end, she said that she thought I should continue to support these forums as part of my being a Ford Ambassador.

So pondering it for a day or two...it means to me that I have to redevelop the thick skin and ignore the Know It Alls.

The beauty of retirement is that I can choose what to do with my time, and our association with people that we like.

So, I will be using the Ignore function and support the Forums as best I can. I am up to a good challenge but I am not going to put up with Trolls...

What I will not be doing is any assessments of many of the structural mods, of which many I cringe. That causes way to many complaints from people that spent their hard earned money on these mods. So my posts will be, I hope specific to providing the help I can.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That sounds like a good plan, glad to hear you’re sticking around!

Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I really enjoy the history and background in applied theory and design that you have provide based on your actual experience. I recall seeing a comment that I chalked up to the other person not knowing your background. Some of your general comments just describing the things that were going on at the time that you were developing this or tinkering with that provide color that I personally enjoy.

You have been a help to me, It is nice to be able to reach out to someone you trust for technical issues.

All together it is kinda like having access to an uncle.

So glad you are going to stick around!

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
On the 2WD the 17" tire has about 5-1/2" of sidewall
The 16" tire has exactly 1/2" more.
Negligible difference in ride , especially since tire pressure is adjustable.
17” isn’t so bad but it only gets worse the more metal and less rubber you have.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Add me to the list of people who appreciate your experience and insight.

Reading your comments, I've often wondered what the engineers who have poured hours, weeks, months, or years of their time, into designing a vehicle and having some jabroney come along and hack off safety features to give it a different look, think about the modifications. It must be frustrating as all hell.

Glad to see you're sticking around

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around. I always read your responses and pick up valuable info and insight.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Welcome back Phil. No reason to stress over a forum. I retired a couple of months ago and left my stress with the car company I left.

Forgot to mention, I appreciate your comments also.

Last edited:

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I don’t comment often enough but I certainly enjoy seeing your comments. I am a mechanical engineer so I love your insight, opinions and technical discussions.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for staying Phil !! I enjoy your back stories and the history of the Ranger. Pay no mind to the trolls,opinions are great but their sarcasm isnt welcome. Good luck with your health.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Folks,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I can volunteer some time to teach you how to ignore trolls :) The class is 8 weeks, and it consists of me trolling all of your posts. Passing grade is 90% trolling posts ignored :).

The two different sides are different part numbers too. My truck just had the drivers side replaced, so my guess is it will have two different numbers as well.

HINT: There's a certain lot of bad drivers side axles produced by Dana/Spicer. Check to see if there is gear lube running out of the end of the tube and down onto the stone guard and the brakes.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
17” isn’t so bad but it only gets worse the more metal and less rubber you have.
"One over" was started in road racing because it actually improved handling.
Like any good thing there can always be "too much".

Profile change is used when increasing rim size to maintain overall tire/wheel diameter. But it is also used along with Compound, tread pattern, and sidewall construction to reach the sweet spot for traction, handling, ride, and economy .
Unfortunately, improving in one area often means sacrificing someplace else, like trading some ride comfort to improve handling, or trading tread life for better traction.

Last edited:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Phil, I am so glad that you are going to be sticking around on this Forum. Your many years of knowledge and experience is a huge plus and I enjoy reading your posts. Being retired my self I now get to pick and choose where and when I wish to contribute so I think I understand where you are coming from. I look forward to your insight.
Sponsored