Tractor Supply Horse Mat

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
Someone earlier mentioned using one of these mats in their truck. These mats, which sell for roughly $45 are 6’x4’x.75”. Clearly since the bed is only 5’ long, a trim job is required. Also, the distance between the wheel wells is less than 4’, so some more trimming is required.

I mentioned previously I had purchased one and someone begged me to post the dimensions of my cuts. Before I list these, check out you tube for how to cut thick rubber mats. I had every power tool I had at the ready but all you need is a box cutter (with extra blades), a straight edge and a 2x4 roughly as wide as the mat. I didn’t have a 2x4 but used a brick, which worked but I continually had to move it.

I have pics posted but here are my measurements, ALL from the the cab side of the mat. Don’t get confused here.

The first cut is 4” from the back of the cab and was 2.5”. Clearly, you’ll need another 2.5” cut and that is 31” from the back of the cab. Then, you cut off 12” of the width to make the mat 5’. I hope this all makes since.

Some additional comments:

These mats are very, very heavy and I can’t imagine a hurricane could blow it out.

When using the box cutter, don’t try to cut all the way thru on one cut. Let the knife do the work and keep cutting till you are thru the mat.

Before beginning, get a piece of chaulk or a grease pencil and mark your dimensions as shown in my pix. I measured about 5 times before cutting because you don’t get a second chance.

You’ll see I have the sprayed in liner. I wanted the mat to keep things from sliding around. Also, I play golf and didn’t want the bed to beat up my clubs. Overkill, probably, but it cost me $45 plus a bit of sweat.

1170100E-5FAB-4657-86A9-4543E53AE19D.jpeg

24309D58-4223-4C63-A630-2722D250F278.jpeg

A5414D88-B9EA-4D1C-A60B-3621F9CBEE08.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
I’ll add an additional comment. The small strips that you cut out for the wheel wells fit nicely in the gaps behind the wheel wells. These are small enough that if you drove thru a car wash, you might want to pull them out,otherwise they can add a bit of security.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
You can also buy these at gym supply stores. I used one in my super duty to space my truck camper a 3/4". Super durable, but heavy!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Something to keep in mind... these rubber mats smell horrible.... pretty much forever. Something to keep in mind if you park in your nice garage-mahal.

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
Something to keep in mind... these rubber mats smell horrible.... pretty much forever. Something to keep in mind if you park in your nice garage-mahal.
Depends on which ones you use. I have Tractor Supply Stall Mats in half of my garage as the floor for my gym… no smell at all.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Depends on which ones you use. I have Tractor Supply Stall Mats in half of my garage as the floor for my gym… no smell at all.
Good to know, They store them outside right by the front door at our TSC.... I can smell the stank every time I go there.

In any event... it's a thing.... not just the smell but also the toxic chemicals that off-gas... https://gymcrafter.com/get-smell-out-rubber-gym-floor/

"If you haven’t picked up on it yet, I’m against the number one flooring recommendation in the home gym industry…. Rubber horse stall mats. That’s right, don’t buy those. Please. I know every home gym YouTube channel and blog recommends these. I know this is what a lot of CrossFit boxes use. I know you see them everywhere. But they are a bad idea.

Horse stall mats are the lowest quality TDR you can buy. They are made specifically for well ventilated, mostly outdoor type areas!!! They are vulcanized and bound with sulfur laden agents. They therefore have the highest potential for health problems of any flooring choice. They also smell the worst. One 24 sqft mat will stink up your house for years. The whole time letting off who knows how many potentially harmful fumes and chemicals."

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
"If you haven’t picked up on it yet, I’m against the number one flooring recommendation in the home gym industry…. Rubber horse stall mats. That’s right, don’t buy those. Please. I know every home gym YouTube channel and blog recommends these. I know this is what a lot of CrossFit boxes use. I know you see them everywhere. But they are a bad idea.

Horse stall mats are the lowest quality TDR you can buy. They are made specifically for well ventilated, mostly outdoor type areas!!! They are vulcanized and bound with sulfur laden agents. They therefore have the highest potential for health problems of any flooring choice. They also smell the worst. One 24 sqft mat will stink up your house for years. The whole time letting off who knows how many potentially harmful fumes and chemicals."
You're quoting some dude on the internet to tell me that my lived experience is incorrect. I have four stall mats in my garage and have had them there for 6+ months. No smell whatsoever.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have one in my shell covered truck no smell. Usually the one complaining about the smell should check his own shorts first.:curse:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You're quoting some dude on the internet to tell me that my lived experience is incorrect. I have four stall mats in my garage and have had them there for 6+ months. No smell whatsoever.
Not at all. I'm trying to help the guy that buys horse stall mats that do smell because I know from first hand experience that some do.
Sponsored