Check Brake System

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Took my first extended highway trip with my New Ranger (1600mi) and got a message to "Check Brake System." The brakes worked fine. Pulled off at the next exit, restarted the truck and all was well. 30 miles later same thing. It was the weekend so there wasn't much I could do so I continued on to camp. Before I headed into the back roads I stopped for Ice... no more message after restart.. Drove back roads, did some moderate off-roading, no issues. Drove the same stretch home with no errors. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm at the dealer right now getting a parking sensor replaced under warranty, and they said they'll take a look but I would not be surprised if they come back with "we can't reproduce the error.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Update: Dealer says the computer recorded two fluctuations in an ABS valve. They say it tests fine now and they reprogrammed the braking system. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Update: Dealer says the computer recorded two fluctuations in an ABS valve. They say it tests fine now and they reprogrammed the braking system. Fingers crossed.
Thought I'd give an update.. Drove the truck back to camp today and got the message again.. actually in the same stretch of highway which is kinda weird. Has no one else seen this message? Back it goes.

BlueTonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt lightning blue
Thought I'd give an update.. Drove the truck back to camp today and got the message again.. actually in the same stretch of highway which is kinda weird. Has no one else seen this message? Back it goes.

Just got mine back from the dealer for the same issue, they replaced a vaccum hose and sensor. So far so good! previous to that it was in for a loose connection at the pcm. Whole truck shut down on me, had to flatbed it to the dealer. All this in the first six weeks of ownership!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Took my first extended highway trip with my New Ranger (1600mi) and got a message to "Check Brake System." The brakes worked fine. Pulled off at the next exit, restarted the truck and all was well. 30 miles later same thing. It was the weekend so there wasn't much I could do so I continued on to camp. Before I headed into the back roads I stopped for Ice... no more message after restart.. Drove back roads, did some moderate off-roading, no issues. Drove the same stretch home with no errors. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm at the dealer right now getting a parking sensor replaced under warranty, and they said they'll take a look but I would not be surprised if they come back with "we can't reproduce the error.
Hi B,

Check the electrical connector behind the Left Headlight, mounted on the horse collar. It might not be properly seated. I have no clue why Ford changed their connectors but it seems improperly seated connectors plague the Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just got mine back from the dealer for the same issue, they replaced a vaccum hose and sensor. So far so good! previous to that it was in for a loose connection at the pcm. Whole truck shut down on me, had to flatbed it to the dealer. All this in the first six weeks of ownership!
Sounds like we have the same problem. I looked at the paperwork from the last visit and it said there was a stored code P050F which translates to Brake Assist Vacuum Too Low. I'm betting this is going to be the same result.

Going to the dealer on Friday afternoon.

Bernie

Last edited:
OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, Ford kept my truck. They say they need the light on to change any parts under warranty. They're going to have a technician drive it on the same track I did and see if they can get the message. Gave me an F150 to drive... After driving it for 1/2 hour I know I made the right choice. Can't wait to get my Ranger back!

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
OK, hopefully the last post on this subject... fingers crossed. After having my truck a couple of days, Ford directed them to start doing pinpoint tests at every step in the braking system. When they did this the brake booster vacuum sensor failed. This makes sense to me since the brakes never stopped working or felt strange. The sensor was replaced and I have my Ranger back. Thank goodness... I really didn't enjoy driving a full sized truck anymore after having the maneuverability of my Ranger.

Funny story about the service. I had dropped my truck off on Monday morning. Throughout the day on Tuesday I was watching my FordPass app to see when they would take it on the 100+ mile round trip it usually took to make it error out. By 3:30 on Tuesday my truck hadn't moved an inch. I called and asked for an update and my "Service Liaison" told me they were working on it but hadn't made any progress. He was a bit dismayed when I asked him why the truck hadn't been turned on for 28 hours :wink::wink:. 10 Minutes later the truck was moving, wheels were coming off and on, and the very next morning they had found the problem! Of course they didn't have the part in stock and had to overnight it. Gotta love technology!

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, it's not fixed. Took a trip over the weekend to Maryland and about an hour in I got the error. "Check Braking System". Brakes still worked fine. Stopped and bought gas about half way through the trip and then no errors the rest of the way (about a 6 1/2 hour trip) after restart. On the way home it was great until the first stop and then it was back. Guess we're going back to the dealer. I spoke with my son who is an engineer at Ford and he told me they usually replace the entire booster assembly. Back again...

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know what they found please

Last edited:
OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Let us know what they found please
Finally got it back in. They're blaming a loose connector right now. They're going to take it for a long ride to confirm

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Additional Update: After replacing the connector they took the truck out and finally got the error. With the warning lights still on they were able to trace the problem (hopefully) to a valve in the vacuum bundle. They're driving it some more today to verify. If this fixes it I will post the final solution

OP
OP
bking

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well apparently the final solution to the problem was replacing the aspirator valve assembly. There is apparently a check valve in the vacuum assembly that allows air to flow in both directions. Mine was stuck closed thanks for stopping the flow of pressure into the brake booster sensor. Fingers crossed this is finally resolved. From the paperwork it appears that the part is backordered and they took one off a new Ranger

pveenhof

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 2019
Well apparently the final solution to the problem was replacing the aspirator valve assembly. There is apparently a check valve in the vacuum assembly that allows air to flow in both directions. Mine was stuck closed thanks for stopping the flow of pressure into the brake booster sensor. Fingers crossed this is finally resolved. From the paperwork it appears that the part is backordered and they took one off a new Ranger
Hey Bernie, can you confirm that the final solution (replacing aspirator valve assembly) actually fixed the issue for good? I am dealing with the same problem but so far have not had any luck with Ford dealer solving the problem. Frustrating because it is so inconsistent - can go weeks without the brake warning light coming on but also have times when it comes on multiple times a day. Hope you can let me/us know. Thanks, Paul

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No way I would let a technician drive my truck, unless I was in it. I'd just drive it myself until the light stayed on... then take it to the dealer.

There's another thread here on Ranger5g where a technician took a customers truck home and stopped at a store... and the truck was sideswiped in the parking lot.
Sponsored