Oil Change 2019 Ranger Lariat

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Had the oil changed and tires rotated today at 5k miles at the Ford dealer. The oil life in Ford Pass still shows the old data. Is there a way to reset this?

Never mind, after 4 hours Ford Pass got updated and it shows 100% life. I was hoping that would happen.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Had the oil changed and tires rotated today at 5k miles at the Ford dealer. The oil life in Ford Pass still shows the old data. Is there a way to reset this?

Never mind, after 4 hours Ford Pass got updated and it shows 100% life. I was hoping that would happen.
Ditto. Get first 2 free, so got first one today at 5k. Oil and rotate.

What dealer where you at?

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Seemed weird that it took 4 hrs for Ford Pass to realize the oil had been changed.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
3800 miles & just did my 1st LOF & Rotate, mostly b/c its 10/19 in northern IL and 68 degrees today, not too many of those left! Since I have to work with garage door open figure its best to do it a bit early, NOT keen on having a teenager touch it at the stealership. Anyways watched a few YouTube videos etc. Wix Filter [one of my fave brands] Citgo Synthetic 3Q 0w20 & 3Q 5w20 [farm & fleet private label].

Not too bad, a bit of a pain in the A$$ tho.. Took down 2pc skid/cover plate [4x4] 15mm bolts, I did not have the proper size filter cup so I had to use my large channels this time. Nice surprise filter was NOT on Mongo-the-Ape tight; my wife's OEM filter on her '16 Escape was on so tight I almost thought I wasn't gonna get it off! All in all not bad, tedious..I just dont see a shop offering $29 LOF's taking the time needed to do it right and wipe stuff as they go to make sure it doesn't drip for days. I actually bought a can of engine degreaser b/c the videos made it seem like a huge mess, etc. Just need a can of brake clean to spray off around after you put new filter on before the well liner/flap reinstall. This will get me thru winter, I'm only putting about 1k miles on a month so Feb/March 2020 should be warm enough to do with garage door open. I'm figuring about a 4-5,000 interval right now.

Cheers!

BTW Ford pass said oil was 65% before I changed it. I reset at the dash/info center. within about 15 min FP said it was at 100%...

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
3800 miles & just did my 1st LOF & Rotate, mostly b/c its 10/19 in northern IL and 68 degrees today, not too many of those left! Since I have to work with garage door open figure its best to do it a bit early, NOT keen on having a teenager touch it at the stealership. Anyways watched a few YouTube videos etc. Wix Filter [one of my fave brands] Citgo Synthetic 3Q 0w30 & 3Q 5w30 [farm & fleet private label].

Not too bad, a bit of a pain in the A$$ tho.. Took down 2pc skid/cover plate [4x4] 15mm bolts, I did not have the proper size filter cup so I had to use my large channels this time. Nice surprise filter was NOT on Mongo-the-Ape tight; my wife's OEM filter on her '16 Escape was on so tight I almost thought I wasn't gonna get it off! All in all not bad, tedious..I just dont see a shop offering $29 LOF's taking the time needed to do it right and wipe stuff as they go to make sure it doesn't drip for days. I actually bought a can of engine degreaser b/c the videos made it seem like a huge mess, etc. Just need a can of brake clean to spray off around after you put new filter on before the well liner/flap reinstall. This will get me thru winter, I'm only putting about 1k miles on a month so Feb/March 2020 should be warm enough to do with garage door open. I'm figuring about a 4-5,000 interval right now.

Cheers!

BTW Ford pass said oil was 65% before I changed it. I reset at the dash/info center. within about 15 min FP said it was at 100%...
Any reason for the two kinds of oil or just using up some leftovers?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Any reason for the two kinds of oil or just using up some leftovers?
My personal OCD choice. Felt 0w was a bit too low for Oct oil change, but 5W was too high for winter I expect...If you look at the spec sheet really a marginal difference. So basically I 'blended' my own - what amounts to a 2.5w-20. I learned long ago when my OCD kicks in and I overthink something to just 'go with it' rather than fight it...I'm a much happier person when I do that and I make everyone around me less crazy.

Attachments

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My personal OCD choice. Felt 0w was a bit too low for Oct oil change, but 5W was too high for winter I expect...If you look at the spec sheet really a marginal difference. So basically I 'blended' my own - what amounts to a 2.5w-20. I learned long ago when my OCD kicks in and I overthink something to just 'go with it' rather than fight it...I'm a much happier person when I do that and I make everyone around me less crazy.
I did over 100K hard miles on a 2.0L focus ST tuned and all kinds of bolt on's in Michigan during a few -25F winters using 5W30. I know it's your own personal OCD, but the 20 weight oil is not heavy enough for extremely hot turbo's like seen in the Ecoboost platforms. (they have to oil and water cool them). They warm up so fast, you're basically only seeing the benefit for the first 3 miles, and after that it's just getting thinner and thinner via fuel dilution.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did over 100K hard miles on a 2.0L focus ST tuned and all kinds of bolt on's in Michigan during a few -25F winters using 5W30. I know it's your own personal OCD, but the 20 weight oil is not heavy enough for extremely hot turbo's like seen in the Ecoboost platforms. (they have to oil and water cool them). They warm up so fast, you're basically only seeing the benefit for the first 3 miles, and after that it's just getting thinner and thinner via fuel dilution.
On the EcoBoost Turbo engines they recommend both xx-W20 & xx-W30 in 1.5L, 2.0L & 2.3L engines individuals can consult their respective FoMoCo manuals for year, model & engine specifics. From that starting point we can all make a personal decision.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Agreed, but the decision for lighter oil is only made for meeting CAFE standards and making it through minimum warranty periods.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agreed, but the decision for lighter oil is only made for meeting CAFE standards and making it through minimum warranty periods.
point taken. God Bless.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Looks like I'm running exactly on the 10,000 oil change schedule. 2,800 miles of it has been highway at 72 mph.

IMG_20191021_132132468.jpg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Totally understand, I’m just always interesting in hearing why most of the time!

mbergthold

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x (formerly)
Occupation
Retired
I’m cancelling the $1,715+tax 100k mile maint pkg on 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 tonight - had 1st dealer service today, never again. Rotated tires, I have @ 42/45 for towing, didn't chk just rotated - now I have 45/42, wtf. Smelled fresh oil getting on the freeway, almost afraid to look under the hood (1st Ranger oil change for the young mechanic). The 7500 mi interval on a MC filter & blend oil on a 4 cyl turbo doesn't give me warm fuzzies on this lasting 20+ yrs, regardless of what Ford says. After seeing diff plugs @ 1k, yikes! Will be changing that fluid ASAP. Might as well get some use out of my Atlas 2 post lift. Will change oil @ 10k, Mobil1 WixXP filter, Amsoil in diffs & xfr.
Sponsored