2019 Ranger MPGs

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Just a thought, I filled up today and I was a little lower than before when comparing actual mpg to the truck’s stated mpg. I used remote start more this tank since the weather has been colder. Could it be that the truck isn’t taking the idling before “start” is pushed into account when calculating the fuel mileage?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just a thought, I filled up today and I was a little lower than before when comparing actual mpg to the truck’s stated mpg. I used remote start more this tank since the weather has been colder. Could it be that the truck isn’t taking the idling before “start” is pushed into account when calculating the fuel mileage?
I don't think that's the problem but this might be. :LOL::p

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-long-for-the-ranger-smile-to-fade.2430/page-12#post-73272

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yep, that could have something to do with it... only slightly though! I had been about 1mpg different between truck and actual but this last tank with all the extra remote start idling was about 2mpg different between the two.
Now that it's cooled off here and I'm not running the AC much I've seen an uptick in my milage. After my trucks sat outside all day baking in the sun I would remote start it at least 10 minutes before leaving work. Now I can remote start it as I walking out the door and basically get in it and go. It's worth the trade off to have a cool/warmed up truck though.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
My 2016 Mustang with the 2.3 ecoboost averaged over 34 mpg for the 60k that I drove it, til it was traded. That was way over advertised mpg...Looking for a new Ranger to replace my 2004 XLT 4.0, and hope the 2019 mileage is better than the sticker says! Yeah, I realize it's heavier than a Mustang, and 4x4, but still that was an awesome engine in the Mustang, about 310 HP. And I guess it's been detuned for the truck...oh well...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My 2016 Mustang with the 2.3 ecoboost averaged over 34 mpg for the 60k that I drove it, til it was traded. That was way over advertised mpg...Looking for a new Ranger to replace my 2004 XLT 4.0, and hope the 2019 mileage is better than the sticker says! Yeah, I realize it's heavier than a Mustang, and 4x4, but still that was an awesome engine in the Mustang, about 310 HP. And I guess it's been detuned for the truck...oh well...
If you drive it with a "light" foot you should get around 24-26 mpg city as some members here are getting those numbers. I've never been able to achieve that but I like to WOT every once in a while. :D You can add some good hp/torque with a tune and there's a lot of info here.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/2-3l-ecoboost-engine-exhaust-tuning-bolt-ons.5/

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s definitely possible to get better than advertised but you’ll have to pay close attention to your driving style to do it!

ed1946

First Name
elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 taurus
Occupation
retired
23+ all around, did get close to 30 on a trip I took.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Did some highway miles last weekend and it climbed up over 25, hit the hills and it went down fast. Staying right at 22 for the long term average over 5k miles--highway miles pull it up, short trips and hills pull it down, so the average just depends on the mix. (Worth pointing out that a NA v6 would probably do better MPG wise on long hill climbs, but would also be revving in the right lane and not accelerating in the left. Hard to do a real apples-to-apples comparison because who wants to drive their ranger like that? :cool:)

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Dear Friends: So far--one week in--I am getting 19+ on regular gasoline and mostly city driving, with no towing or hauling. (I have not deliberately used the AUTO STOP START, but several times I forgot to turn the damn thing off when starting....) I expect that next week, when school starts, I will be putting in many more miles on the freeway, which should bring my average over 20, provided that I can keep my lead foot under control. After getting 17.8 MPG over five years and 70,000 miles with a 2014 Explorer Limited, I had said to myself that I would be happy if the Ranger could run into the twenties, and we are almost there!
Update: I am now two months and 3,000 miles in, still pumping regular gasoline and no towing or hauling. I put more air in the tires--the door says that the maximum should be 30 PSI, but I have been keeping them at c. 33 for the last month--and have been using AUTO STOP START for some of my city driving. When I travel on the freeway, which I do as my daily drive to work, I have been using the Sport mode and enjoying the greater responsiveness. I seem to have topped out at 20.6 MPG, as I plan to have the Ford Performance Two-inch Leveling Kit installed in a few weeks. Even though I will keep the stock 18-inch wheels and Hankook tires for the time being, the lift to the front will probably cost me some mileage--I just hope it does not put me back in "Explorer" territory!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Update: I am now two months and 3,000 miles in, still pumping regular gasoline and no towing or hauling. I put more air in the tires--the door says that the maximum should be 30 PSI, but I have been keeping them at c. 33 for the last month--and have been using AUTO STOP START for some of my city driving. When I travel on the freeway, which I do as my daily drive to work, I have been using the Sport mode and enjoying the greater responsiveness. I seem to have topped out at 20.6 MPG, as I plan to have the Ford Performance Two-inch Leveling Kit installed in a few weeks. Even though I will keep the stock 18-inch wheels and Hankook tires for the time being, the lift to the front will probably cost me some mileage--I just hope it does not put me back in "Explorer" territory!
It won't take that big of a hit. I have the 2.5" level kit along with 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and didn't notice any hit around town,maybe .5 mpg. Highway is where you will notice some as you're higher and have changed the rake but with the stock tires I'd bet maybe 1-2 mpg depending on how fast you're going.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won't take that big of a hit. I have the 2.5" level kit along with 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and didn't notice any hit around town,maybe .5 mpg. Highway is where you will notice some as you're higher and have changed the rake but with the stock tires I'd bet maybe 1-2 mpg depending on how fast you're going.
I’m surprised by that, I figured it would be the other way around. When I put 33’s on my old Ranger my highway mileage actually improved!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Dave, thanks! I do go pretty fast on the freeway, but I can live with the kind of minor losses of MPG that you are talking about.

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've worked my all-time up to 23.2. I've been typically getting around 24 daily commuting which is approximately 50h/50c. Little over 4k miles. Taking my first road trip today (240 miles or so) since driving it home from the dealer in TX.
Sponsored