LED Puddle Light

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Is there a trick to getting them out? I got one side unlatched but I can't get the light to come out. I didn't want to pull on it very hard.
Yeah, you just barely get one end loose then take a small thin screwdriver and just wedge the other clip a little and it will come out...getting one clip all the way out seems like the correct way but it doesnt free up the other end that way.
Sponsored

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
Got 'em, thank you. Much better light from these.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Its funny we all bought mid-$30k and up trucks and sit here bitching about stuff...dont get me wrong I have too! Sure there are things I think an XLT Sport w/technology pkg should have been equipped with...bottom line I [we] bought them, a purchase is basically VOTING with our dollars. If we feel after living with it for a while we are that unhappy we can trade it in at a loss. Being truck guys nearly all of us have accessorized the hell out of it so loss there too, unless you want to tare it all off and try selling on eBay or CL.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Its funny we all bought mid-$30k and up trucks and sit here bitching about stuff...dont get me wrong I have too! Sure there are things I think an XLT Sport w/technology pkg should have been equipped with...bottom line I [we] bought them, a purchase is basically VOTING with our dollars. If we feel after living with it for a while we are that unhappy we can trade it in at a loss. Being truck guys nearly all of us have accessorized the hell out of it so loss there too, unless you want to tare it all off and try selling on eBay or CL.
Yeah, for me this was the best option available, and I've been extremely happy with my decision. I've just made a few small tweaks to correct some of the things I thought should have been standard (like the LED puddle lights). I don't think there is such a thing as a PERFECT vehicle, unless you get a completely custom built one. Mass produced vehicles will always come with some level of compromise.

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed mine nice easy upgrade $17 on Amazon.

image.jpg
How are yours holding up? I tried installing mine last night and they worked fine. Then this morning I folded my mirrors in and now the lights don't work. They briefly flickered on and shut off immediately and that was it. I cant even seem to get them out either to check for loose connections

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
How are yours holding up? I tried installing mine last night and they worked fine. Then this morning I folded my mirrors in and now the lights don't work. They briefly flickered on and shut off immediately and that was it. I cant even seem to get them out either to check for loose connections
Did you tape or cover the connections?

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Did you tape or cover the connections?
I figured it out. I taped the passengers side metal pins for each wire as one bundle instead of separately. It was causing my puddle lights to ground out. Stupid error on my end lol.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I figured it out. I taped the passengers side metal pins for each wire as one bundle instead of separately. It was causing my puddle lights to ground out. Stupid error on my end lol.
That would definitely do it!

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Well, the Amazon Carrover LED puddle lights ended up being junk. Mine have died. It looks like the issue is they aren't sealed, so water and dirt/crud gets inside and ruins the circuit boards. Recently I noticed my driver's side wasn't on, then it was, then it was flickering, so I popped it out to look and this is what I see. If I squeeze the LED board, more of the LEDs light up. Both sides are ruined. I'm going to try a new pair, and seal them up with silicone before installing.

Attachments

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Well, the Amazon Carrover LED puddle lights ended up being junk. Mine have died. It looks like the issue is they aren't sealed, so water and dirt/crud gets inside and ruins the circuit boards. Recently I noticed my driver's side wasn't on, then it was, then it was flickering, so I popped it out to look and this is what I see. If I squeeze the LED board, more of the LEDs light up. Both sides are ruined. I'm going to try a new pair, and seal them up with silicone before installing.
Looks like cold solder joints. Could probably be repaired very easy.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Looks like cold solder joints. Could probably be repaired very easy.
If they were cold solder joints, they would have done this from the beginning, which they did not. The whole inside was wet and dirty before I took them out.

ChrisCARanger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
You can and should bitch after spending that amount of money, sounds like you think you can't bitch about it?

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
You can and should bitch after spending that amount of money, sounds like you think you can't bitch about it?
I'm going to bitch about you bitching! Rabble rabble rabble!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If they were cold solder joints, they would have done this from the beginning, which they did not. The whole inside was wet and dirty before I took them out.
True. If it were extremely fautlty.

But from my experience a cold joint can attract corrosion. Which could mimic your fault.

I'd reflow the joints, then seal it up, before buying a new set and seal them up.

Cold joints are to blame for a lot of faults in modern electronics. Machines can only do so much.
Sponsored