First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Filters that flow more let in more dirt, it's physics. I suppose of the AFE filter has the same size holes as the factory paper filter (which I doubt), but is physically bigger, you may be correct. All I'm saying is it's cool for some extra noise, but can definitely shorten the life of some components, mostly the turbo blades, and oil. I'd probably use one of their ProGuard filters, but I'd shorten the oil change interval (personal preference).

I'll never again use an oil style filter though due to me finding fine dust in my intake using a Green Filter.

Everyone is free to use whatever filter they want, but don't expect noticeable horsepower from this product alone.
100% agree with the above.

I had the same expearience, with a 2014 Fiesta ST I purchased new. Installed a Cobb Stage 1 kit on it (included a cobb rebrand Green Filter). After about 50,000 miles of using that green filter and cleaning it every oil change, the intake tube was dusted with an oily grit.

If you do you research and look into reputable/experienced tuners findings, they will tell to the factory air intake it more than sufficient in most cases for cars these days. Thats what I've noticed with the past few platforms I've owned (Ecoboost 1.6 and EcoBoost 2.0). Our Rangers pull air in directly front the top passenger side of the grill, away from any hot components, and fed fresh air as you're moving down the road. I think you'll be splitting hairs trying to come up with a better intake. I try not to fall victim to market hype.
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Over cleaning filters is also not recommended for these types of filters. K&N, at least, says that it works better when it picks up some dirt.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Over cleaning filters is also not recommended for these types of filters. K&N, at least, says that it works better when it picks up some dirt.

So, your engine is getting dusted while you're waiting for your filter to foul up. Would rather save my turbo, valve guides, piston rings, and cylinder walls.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
No dust in mine.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Also used these since 91 and not had a single engine wear out prematurely from them. Put 329,000 on my 95 4.0 Ranger with a blower and it still ran till I retired it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So, your engine is getting dusted while you're waiting for your filter to foul up. Would rather save my turbo, valve guides, piston rings, and cylinder walls.
I cleaned mine once in 60K, and it still had dust in the intake. I do drive on dirt roads which could be described as a talc consistency, so it might account for some of the fine dust.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I cleaned mine once in 60K, and it still had dust in the intake. I do drive on dirt roads which could be described as a talc consistency, so it might account for some of the fine dust.
K&N does recommend pre-filter wraps for high dust conditions. Although, those are for cone filters.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
K&N does recommend pre-filter wraps for high dust conditions. Although, those are for cone filters.
The "Green" filter brand is just a different color than K&N, and a little cheaper. It has the same holes in it, the same wire (but green), and the same oil (but green). They also make some of the performance filters for places like COBB. I maybe drive 20 miles a week on a dirt road when I had the Focus, and only a few of those a year were during conditions where the road was dusty. Nothing like driving the Baja 1000 ever :)

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
100% agree with the above.

I had the same expearience, with a 2014 Fiesta ST I purchased new. Installed a Cobb Stage 1 kit on it (included a cobb rebrand Green Filter). After about 50,000 miles of using that green filter and cleaning it every oil change, the intake tube was dusted with an oily grit.

If you do you research and look into reputable/experienced tuners findings, they will tell to the factory air intake it more than sufficient in most cases for cars these days. Thats what I've noticed with the past few platforms I've owned (Ecoboost 1.6 and EcoBoost 2.0). Our Rangers pull air in directly front the top passenger side of the grill, away from any hot components, and fed fresh air as you're moving down the road. I think you'll be splitting hairs trying to come up with a better intake. I try not to fall victim to market hype.
This is one of the best responses to this thread/issue. It is just amazing that tuners like Roush and Steeda for example use CAI on their eco-boost Mustangs on all their "stages" unless you assume that they are just gouging I really wonder why.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the best responses to this thread/issue. It is just amazing that tuners like Roush and Steeda for example use CAI on their eco-boost Mustangs on all their "stages" unless you assume that they are just gouging I really wonder why.
Because the CAI help you hear the turbo, and sound equals performance for most cash payers.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Of course AFE says cold air intakes are the answer to power salvation... All you will do is allow more dirt in your turbo (sanding the turbo vanes decreases their efficiency), improve the near instant spool of the OE turbo by .25 seconds, and spend a bunch of money letting the potential next owner of your car know that you were a power junky.

Look at what the mustang and RS come with factory, and look at their power levels... Ours is fine until you need auxiliary fuel, and have a GTX3067R under the hood.

If I mod a vehicle,the very first change is always the exhaust system. That alone will show you a bigger improvement then leaving it,(exhaust), stock and throwing on a cai. The stock intake will flow crazy better with the exhaust freed up.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I've installed CAI's on 3 of my past vehicles. Can't say there was any noticeable difference in performance that was more than just mentally thinking it was performing better. After the first one I still bought the next ones but it wasn't about the slight or fake performance I was expecting. It was all about that sweet sweet roar when I give it the gas.

I'm not sure about how it will sound on a 4cyl though so I'll probably just pass on this for my Ranger.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I've installed CAI's on 3 of my past vehicles. Can't say there was any noticeable difference in performance that was more than just mentally thinking it was performing better. After the first one I still bought the next ones but it wasn't about the slight or fake performance I was expecting. It was all about that sweet sweet roar when I give it the gas.

I'm not sure about how it will sound on a 4cyl though so I'll probably just pass on this for my Ranger.
It's for the sweet, sweet spool of the Turbski

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
I usually go with an AEM dry filter drop in for all my vehicles... Love'em and have had no issues.

/agree on the CAI... Unless you throw in a bigger turbo and an extremely aggressive tune, they're a waste of money.
Sponsored