Buying a Courtesy Vehicle

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
I've been waiting for the end of the year to try and get the best deal on a new ranger and I found one that's 10k off MSRP and I looked a little closer at it and it's listed as a new vehicle but the status is a courtesy vehicle. Has anyone ever bought one before and is there anything specific I should be looking at for? Or is it just like buying a used car?
Sponsored

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I've been waiting for the end of the year to try and get the best deal on a new ranger and I found one that's 10k off MSRP and I looked a little closer at it and it's listed as a new vehicle but the status is a courtesy vehicle. Has anyone ever bought one before and is there anything specific I should be looking at for? Or is it just like buying a used car?
I was considering making the same purchase although the dealership was in another state. You’re buying a new vehicle because it’s never been titled, at least the one I was looking at wasn’t. But, the odometer already started adding miles towards the warranty so you lose on that... I tried to have the dealer extend the warranty to cover the lost mileage but they wouldn’t budge. I think buying a demo vehicle is a budget friendly option, but I’ve also had my share of rental cars and know how they get treated.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a new ranger last friday. The original owner returned the ranger because he wanted a bigger truck then the dealer used it as a service loaner. I bought it with 3800 miles. I've put another 400 miles on it and it seems perfect. I only had to update the sync system when I got it. The discounts for buying the service loaner were well worth it

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I've found one local also and it already racked up 15K miles. Black Lariat. Screw. Level kit, aftermarket big wheels and tires. They were offering 8200 off msrp. Carfax showed it had been through 2 auctions to get to the final dealer. Build date 12/18
Looked good, but no way. Passed on that one.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Both dealers near me had the loaner vehicles for sale and they are considered "new" as far as purchase. The one I purchased had around 2300 miles. You want to check for damage inside and out, smell of smoke, etc. I had them touch up some rock chips in the paint and a few cosmetic things..awaiting a broken door check repair when the part comes in. Still smells like new.

One advantage may be that any issues the vehicle had may have been found and repaired by the time they sell it.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
For the most part Courtesy Vehicles are treated very well by customers as opposed to Rental Vehicles ( Hertz etc.). I bought a 2015 Explorer Sport that was a Courtesy Vehicle but because they let it rack up 5000 they had to sell it Certified Pre-Owned. It was in Excellent condition and if not for the mileage and a couple paint chips (that the dealer fixed) it could have passed for new.
If you like it buy it...

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I don’t think I’d be too concerned. I would never want to buy an ex-rental... if people pay out of pocket to use a vehicle I find that they feel like they’re entitled to drive it how they want. When they’re courtesy cars it’s more like just borrowing someone’s car. Just what I’ve observed from working different places over the years and have been involved in a bit of each.

OP
OP
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Thanks for all the replies, I'll probably call the dealer and try to get some more info on it. They're about 3 hours away so I'd want to make sure I'm going to buy it before I head up there.
Sponsored