First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
When John uttered that line about Toyota declining to participate and the Frontier basically being archaic, I literally laughed out loud. I was wondering from the beginning of the segment why the Tacoma wasn't there but basically had no reservations about why the Frontier wasn't included. I'm guessing Toyota knows they would've been smoked or at least assumed they would. Good on Motorweek to include that they themselves opted out. :giggle:

As far the Ridgeline being first, I'm convinced that people that buy Ridgelines are honestly car people that want a bigger trunk. It rides like a car and drives like a FWD sedan. There's nothing wrong with that, per say. But it's not a body-on-frame truck like the other three in the comparison are. It also can't tow anywhere near what the Ranger can which, oddly enough, they didn't talk about that at all. Not one mention of towing capacity...only the differences in acceleration with 1,000 pounds of cargo in the bed. o_O
I sort of fit into the category of 'car people that want a bigger trunk', and readily admit that the Ridgeline was one that I initially considered. I really liked the bed options that it offered. But to get the same options as my Lariat, MSRP was several thousand more, so I never even test drove one. I have zero regrets about my decision and love my Ranger.
Sponsored

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s another. He had the NA motor option wrong right off the bat though.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I have not watched but posting for all. New today.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Spoiler Alert: He absolutely HATES it.

Sucks too, because he is one of my favorite reviewers. I actually offered up my truck to him when I first got it at the beginning of the year for review.

I've never seen him review something this badly. Get ready for some ouchies.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have not watched but posting for all. New today.

Wow - that was brutal. I disagree with almost all of their complaints.

I don't know how he complains bout the pricing - it is competitive with other options in the class. And his complaints about the transmission I completely disagree with.

I've not seen him before, but he seems like a pretty negative guy. But I guess that is what opinions are - opinions.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
His last re
Spoiler Alert: He absolutely HATES it.

Sucks too, because he is one of my favorite reviewers. I actually offered up my truck to him when I first got it at the beginning of the year for review.

I've never seen him review something this badly. Get ready for some ouchies.
His last review of the GTI also sucks. His sarcasm is at times dull.
He will review a cheap Mazda and say nothing bad. Time to unsubscribe.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Wow - that was brutal. I disagree with almost all of their complaints.

I don't know how he complains bout the pricing - it is competitive with other options in the class. And his complaints about the transmission I completely disagree with.

I've not seen him before, but he seems like a pretty negative guy. But I guess that is what opinions are - opinions.
Good video quality normally but he is growing old to hear.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Good video normally but he is growing old to hear.
The weirdest thing I think I saw in the video was when he punched it - they zoomed in on the speedo climbing (pretty quickly) - it kept pulling hard up to about 80 - and all he could do was complain about how many gears it went thru.

That made NO sense to me whatsoever. The shifts were really smooth. Most of his/their complaints seemed very weird to me.

In ALL of the review videos I watched when it first came out, it was almost universally agreed upon that the powertrain in this truck was great. In this video they panned it apparently due to it having too many gears. I wonder what they would say driving a Taco? It only has 6 gears but it seems to not be able to figure out which one it wants to be in.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That reviewer is always biased toward manual transmission sports cars. It's not a site that's a go-to for trucks. And the usual "why wouldn't you get a bigger truck".

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I only made it 2 mins in and quit watching... dude seems like a douche nozzle and obviously a Toyota or Cheby guy, It pains those guys to say anything nice about a Ford.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
He seems to be grasping for things to complain about when half the video is spent on HVAC controls and a 10-speed transmission that shifts.......wait for it.......more than a 6-speed!

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
The best part about this was a link to a jay Leno garage video when it ended. I have watched many reviews and none were as negative as this, almost like he has an axe to grind, F150 will barely fit in my garage, fuel mileage is not as good on the F150, my wife liked the Ranger and did not like any of the 150's I brought home, that's why I bought a Ranger.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
He seems to be grasping for things to complain about when half the video is spent on HVAC controls and a 10-speed transmission that shifts.......wait for it.......more than a 6-speed!
Wonder if he noticed it also skips gears. Likely not paying attention.