Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some changes seem harder for the market to accept than others. I don't know much about commercial vehicles or engines, but I don't remember everyone being quite as up in arms over the change from, say, carburetion to fuel injection as we're seeing with the shift to turbocharging. Probably that was because it didn't come with a big change in engine configuration (# of cylinders, displacement, etc.). In vehicles larger than sub-compacts, the 4-cylinder engine still suffers from the stigma of being the base engine that isn't very good and that no one wants, because for decades, that's kind of what it was, and it looks like it might take a while to change that :/ .
Hi,

I had a Merkur XR4TI with a 2.3L Turbo...Water cooled at this and it only lasted 30, 000 miles...terrible results for a Turbo, gave Turbos a bad rep as they did not last. Newer turbos have addressed the problem, but the stigma still persists, just like the Olds 350 Cid Diesel that killed the USA for diesels for a long time.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Some changes seem harder for the market to accept than others. I don't know much about commercial vehicles or engines, but I don't remember everyone being quite as up in arms over the change from, say, carburetion to fuel injection as we're seeing with the shift to turbocharging. Probably that was because it didn't come with a big change in engine configuration (# of cylinders, displacement, etc.). In vehicles larger than sub-compacts, the 4-cylinder engine still suffers from the stigma of being the base engine that isn't very good and that no one wants, because for decades, that's kind of what it was, and it looks like it might take a while to change that :/ .
A 2300 pound 2.3L Pinto was a great car and indestructible,
In the mid 70s it would out run and out handle many V8s
I used to salivate at the sight of a Supra at a stop light!
In 1978 It made 88HP, while the V6 made 90HP

Last edited:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Phil,
True about the turbo. Ford is fighting against two stigmas. I've gotta hand it to them for that -- part of it is regulations, no doubt, but with gasoline pushing towards $4+ (it's already there here in CA), the public wants both larger vehicles and better fuel economy and they're trying to provide that.

Hi,

I had a Merkur XR4TI with a 2.3L Turbo...Water cooled at this and it only lasted 30, 000 miles...terrible results for a Turbo, gave Turbos a bad rep as they did not last. Newer turbos have addressed the problem, but the stigma still persists, just like the Olds 350 Cid Diesel that killed the USA for diesels for a long time.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
my mrs had a 2003 1.8 turbo jetta besides a slight lag and a stumble in reverse it was a GREAT car and would go 130 mph bought a house in the hills and had to sell it for a awd. I didn't hesitate on the ranger because that vw was that good!!(no catch can on it lol) but driven hard.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I remember when the first Fox body Mustangs (and Mercury Capris) were introduced in 1979 that a 2.3 turbo option was offered, however sales of cars with this engine was delayed.
If I remember correctly Ford needed to do more testing on this motor option, apparently it was shedding essential engine components (like connecting rods) at alarming rates.
At the time I was a young mechanic at a Lincoln-Mercury agency and had special ordered a '79 Capri with a 5.0 V-8, no wimpy four cylinder turbos for me. This Capri was my very first new vehicle purchase, I sold it after 2 years and started my ownership of Ford pickups starting with a '81 F-150 XLT 351M 4x4 Flareside to my present '00 Ranger SuperCab 4.0 OHV 4x2. I did deviate in 2005 with a new Silverado 1500 4x2 but that will never happen again.
My, how times have changed, my next new vehicle (also on order) WILL be powered by a four cylinder turbo!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I bought a bright red XR4Ti at the end of its US run, When I went to take delivery they reneged on the deal.
I put the same engine from SVO in my 1980 Pinto, It was the fastest car I have ever owned.
Oil cooled(sorta not cooled) turbos at the time had small oil journals and had to be cooled down with a light throttle to prevent coking the shaft.
Same issue with the rotary engine in the RX7 in which I installed a Turbo and 4bbl.
It would red line in overdrive, but you had better idle down for the last couple of miles of each drive.
Doing so would insure a long life for the turbo. no hot shutdowns.

I feel the need to do the same with the Ranger, but its turbo is water cooled and not so prone to heat damage.
In fact I tend to forget its turbo-charged.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember when the first Fox body Mustangs (and Mercury Capris) were introduced in 1979 that a 2.3 turbo option was offered, however sales of cars with this engine was delayed.
If I remember correctly Ford needed to do more testing on this motor option, apparently it was shedding essential engine components (like connecting rods) at alarming rates.
At the time I was a young mechanic at a Lincoln-Mercury agency and had special ordered a '79 Capri with a 5.0 V-8, no wimpy four cylinder turbos for me. This Capri was my very first new vehicle purchase, I sold it after 2 years and started my ownership of Ford pickups starting with a '81 F-150 XLT 351M 4x4 Flareside to my present '00 Ranger SuperCab 4.0 OHV 4x2. I did deviate in 2005 with a new Silverado 1500 4x2 but that will never happen again.
My, how times have changed, my next new vehicle (also on order) WILL be powered by a four cylinder turbo!
In 1979 the 2.3L turbo was a barely modified stock engine with only139 HP.
The SVO Mustang, Turbo Thunderbird, MerKur engine was a much better effort, EEC-IV, MPFI, and strong internals. Over 200HP and easily tweeked to 225, Imagine that in a 2300 pound Pinto.

Boynoyce

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
IF the 2023 Tacoma gets its own 4 banger turbo, it will be fun reading the gnashing of teeth at TacomaWorld

Your Tacomaworld thread called back to give it's regrets..

2019 Ford Ranger recalled over HVAC fire risk
The midsize pickup truck's HVAC system could overheat and potentially cause a fire.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ford-ranger-recall-hvac-fire/

Ford said on Monday that it will recall 17,965 Ranger pickup trucks for a possible fire risk related to the HVAC system

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

The midsize pickup truck's HVAC system could overheat and potentially cause a fire.

Ford said on Monday that it will recall 17,965 Ranger pickup trucks for a possible fire risk related to the HVAC system
No big deal, no stop sales, if you read the text it's a quick fix needing to ensure an electrical component has proper spacing.....Third Gen Tacoma still junk,,,,,,and will always be the worst of the generations

Boynoyce

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
No big deal, no stop sales, if you read the text it's a quick fix needing to ensure an electrical component has proper spacing.....Third Gen Tacoma still junk,,,,,,and will always be the worst of the generations

Yeah man, just busting chops.

Good luck with the recall.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah man, just busting chops.

Good luck with the recall.
That's ok. I have a thick skin. That recall is for Sept/Oct builds Bought mine in May.

I have said here and at TW, I am not a fan of any single brand. I buy the best product for me at the time. At this time Its the Ranger..Hands down...Maybe in 2023 Tacoma will check all the boxes. I have no animosity toward the brand....But the dyed in the wool members are cultish LOL

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Stink for a recall so soon.

At least they take care of the issue where Gm would deny deny deny..

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Stink for a recall so soon.

At least they take care of the issue where Gm would deny deny deny..
There have been a few others, regarding seat belts or shift linkages I think. There are bound to be a few of these. While this is basically the same body style that has been sold in Australia for several years, most of the mechanics have been redone for the US market. And yeah, it's good that they're catching them early. According to the article, this most recent one was caught in several trucks that hadn't been delivered to dealers yet, with only one suspicious warranty claim in the field.
Sponsored