DIY Rear Sliding Window Screen/Mesh Project for the 2019 Ford Ranger.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
silly looking screen window
What do you expect for $15?

Engineered proudly by the Ranger Hillbilly Engineer of Ohio. Wait until you see my DIY $200 Hillbilly Tonneau Cover Project - it would put the $900-$1500 Tonneau covers to shame.;)
BTW … Yesterday, I went to school to become an Engineer and today I are one.:crackup:
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A bit of humor … What does my Hillibilly engineered $15 screen have in common with ugly women in a bar?
Ans. They all look good after a few beers.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

uralbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XRT Super Cab
I know this started out as a screen project. By the way if you don,t like it don't copy it.

I went through the hi jinks of what bed cover, my requirements were to keep the junk out of the bed that falls from my neighbors tree and not cost an arm and a leg. I saw older roll up units where the Velcro stopped holding so I opted for a tri fold unit, that was less than $250.00. it came with a "Life Time Warranty" . I did not expect water proof just resistant , so far I have not been dissipointed.
Now we will see how a Chicago winter effects my opinion. .

My 1999 Ranger had a hard fiberglass cover and it restricted the use of my bed. My current cover give me quick access to 2/3 of the bed and in another 5 minuets 100% access

Ural Bob

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry - my project ended on the first page.:wink:

I built two aluminum profile rails and secured them with Tonneau clamps. Then I cut up 3 ~2' pieces of plywood and coated them with asphalt paint. It's a very simple design and it does keeps the snow from accumulating in the truck bed and also prevents thief of tools from the Ranger bed. The plywood panels are shoved in from the back with the tailgate down for security. It is not sleek looking but it does the job it was designed for and the cost is about $200. I am really afraid to post this project because the "OCD" trolls would barbeque me.:frown:

Last edited:

Rich Elliott

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Shadow Black 4X4
Occupation
Retired US Navy
Vehicle Showcase
What do you expect for $15?

Engineered proudly by the Ranger Hillbilly Engineer of Ohio. Wait until you see my DIY $200 Hillbilly Tonneau Cover Project - it would put the $900-$1500 Tonneau covers to shame.;)
BTW … Yesterday, I went to school to become an Engineer and today I are one.:crackup:
When you finish the home made tonneau, you make sure you post it here. I know it can do it for much less, I just don’t have the skills, but I’m still interested.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW ... For the very frugal building rear sliding window screen my next door neighbor did this -
For a 50% cost reduction ~ $8, just make only "one frame" that contains the screen/mesh and layer 3M double sided tape around the perimeter of the frame.;)
This reduces the build time by a least 50%, with no epoxy, hardware screws and silicone sealant.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Home made tonneau.
What? No blow off protection? The vehicle owners behind you might not be pleased if debris from your tin roof Tonneau hits them. I can only imagine that these owners, like me, will be reaching in their glove compartment "for something" that will cause holes in things.;)

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
Home made tonneau. You're welcome.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8mbSX84V1vThHhNkTHVnU6lngoXqrYdcmjse4PgZCvPWWkg4.jpg

DIYAndy, you're like the Macgyver of the Ranger5G forumn. What can you make with 3 match heads, a rubber band, two eagle feathers and a lead pencil??? :like:[/QUO
Home made tonneau. You're welcome.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8mbSX84V1vThHhNkTHVnU6lngoXqrYdcmjse4PgZCvPWWkg4.jpg

DIYAndy, you're like the Macgyver of the Ranger5G forumn. What can you make with 3 match heads, a rubber band, two eagle feathers and a lead pencil??? :like:
I might add, could u do just a little more engineering to the sides of that cover? I think if u get the correct air flow it may lighten the load & even increase fuel mileage. Hahahaha!
Sponsored