Key fob cover to protect panic button

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Does anyone else accidentally hit the panic button often? I’ve done it more times with the Ranger fob in my pocket than any vehicle I’ve owned before this combined!

I have the Lariat remote start fob if that changes anything. Would a cover help?
Sponsored

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've done that with several fobs over the years. It gets intertwined with keys and they end up hitting the button. Got fired of dealing with it, so wear my keys on my pant loop.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
Does anyone else accidentally hit the panic button often? I’ve done it more times with the Ranger fob in my pocket than any vehicle I’ve owned before this combined!

I have the Lariat remote start fob if that changes anything. Would a cover help?
forscan has a fix. changes it so you have to hit it twice to go off.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Timely post. We've had our Ranger for less than a month. I got back from the grocery last week and was in the house. The wife says, is that the truck horn blowing?

Yep, sure enough, had the key fob in my pocket and bumped against a counter top.

It's a bad key fob design. We had our Toyota 17 years and that never happened. The panic button was recessed enough that there was no way it could be pushed inadvertently.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Timely post. We've had our Ranger for less than a month. I got back from the grocery last week and was in the house. The wife says, is that the truck horn blowing?

Yep, sure enough, had the key fob in my pocket and bumped against a counter top.

It's a bad key fob design. We had our Toyota 17 years and that never happened. The panic button was recessed enough that there was no way it could be pushed inadvertently.
Mine does it all the time also

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
forscan has a fix. changes it so you have to hit it twice to go off.
I did that an I still sometimes set it off. I've never used it and am thinking of just disabling it altogether.

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll finally try out Forscan and do this along with a few others that I’ve been thinking about. If I still manage to unintentionally push it then I may just pop the fob apart and see if there’s anything I can remove so the panic button doesn’t work at all. I never use it either!

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll finally try out Forscan and do this along with a few others that I’ve been thinking about. If I still manage to unintentionally push it then I may just pop the fob apart and see if there’s anything I can remove so the panic button doesn’t work at all. I never use it either!

That's what I did with my 2014 Sentra remote. The open trunk button kept getting hit while in my pocket. I'd walk out to the car from a store to an open trunk. I pulled the remote apart, removed the button piece from inside the case. Then I reassembled the remote. I then took a tiny section of vinyl tubing and slipped around the circuit board mounted switch that was now open and showing. Then I put some tape around the remote covering up the opening and holding the tubing in place. The tubing acts as a sort of sleeve to further keep the button from getting pushed in my pocket.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have found my truck unlocked and the panic alarm has gone off also, so I made a glove out of a old leather glove thumb. It works but is ugly.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I have found my truck unlocked and the panic alarm has gone off also, so I made a glove out of a old leather glove thumb. It works but is ugly.

I like that idea. Not too shabby.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, that panic alarm and the two horn hits when you leave the truck with the key fob in pocket while it's running.
Sponsored