Adding Electronic Locker after getting the Truck

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Got the 2019 Ranger 2 weeks ago, went with 4x2 because im not really planning on going off-road. I was wondering tho, if its possible to get the Electronic Locker installed at the dealership after getting the truck home.

I called the dealer parts department and they were of no help, I even went to the dealer back to pick my plates and asked the sales people and they were not able to answer, found that weird, since that is an option you can add.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got the 2019 Ranger 2 weeks ago, went with 4x2 because im not really planning on going off-road. I was wondering tho, if its possible to get the Electronic Locker installed at the dealership after getting the truck home.

I called the dealer parts department and they were of no help, I even went to the dealer back to pick my plates and asked the sales people and they were not able to answer, found that weird, since that is an option you can add.
Hi Edgardo

Since the Locker is PIA the Axle, it may be that the part is not serviced and the whole axle would need to be ordered. Don't know if this is the case but if the banjo area is unique to the locker I can understand why that would be the case. Otherwise, I am baffled by the lack of a parts listing for the locker. Goof luck with your research on this item. It might be a great option for Ford Performance to offer up a Locker Kit for the 5G Ranger for retrofit...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Thanks for the reply Phil. That could be why it’s been hard to get the info. I’m happy with the truck, just wanted to have that option. I’ll continue digging.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The axle with the locker is sold as an assembly only from what I understand. It's got different half shafts, and some other nonsense drilled into it for wires. Good luck getting it, the half shafts are back ordered for 4 months now due to an "engineering defect".

You would be better off going to an offroad shop and letting them take a look at it. Similar axles to the Jeep JL Wranglers, and the Gladiator, so someone has to be making a locking carrier for it.

Worst case, you can get a lunchbox locker if you can deal with the noises they tend to make while turning sharp.

Ford will not under any circumstances alter a vehicle from it's "As Built" state, so even if you could get them to install the axle, they wouldn't program the computer to accept the lock button.

Besides, aftermarket would allow you to keep it locked under many different conditions in which the OEM locker disengages for "safety".

You might try taking your truck and attempting to get a rear wheel off the ground, I've found that even with one wheel completely blocked on a log, the brakes keep both turning about equal even in 2WD without the locker enabled. You might find that it's not really worth the added expense.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The axle with the locker is sold as an assembly only from what I understand. It's got different half shafts, and some other nonsense drilled into it for wires. Good luck getting it, the half shafts are back ordered for 4 months now due to an "engineering defect".

You would be better off going to an offroad shop and letting them take a look at it. Similar axles to the Jeep JL Wranglers, and the Gladiator, so someone has to be making a locking carrier for it.

Worst case, you can get a lunchbox locker if you can deal with the noises they tend to make while turning sharp.

Ford will not under any circumstances alter a vehicle from it's "As Built" state, so even if you could get them to install the axle, they wouldn't program the computer to accept the lock button.

Besides, aftermarket would allow you to keep it locked under many different conditions in which the OEM locker disengages for "safety".

You might try taking your truck and attempting to get a rear wheel off the ground, I've found that even with one wheel completely blocked on a log, the brakes keep both turning about equal even in 2WD without the locker enabled. You might find that it's not really worth the added expense.
And just to add, the locker disengages over 25mph, I believe.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Disengages at 25mph, re-engages under 15Mph. Cannot be turned off while moving over 25mph has been my experience.

Going to have to get forscan info on how to remove the speed limiter from an F150 Raptor, or a Raptor Ranger (they can usually run the locker to 100Mph or some nonsense).

OP
OP

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Thanks t4thfavor and DHMag for the the info. I'll will certainly be looking for those options.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
In my opinion, it would be quite expensive and involved to add the factory locker after the fact. if the dash is pre-wired for the activation button it might not be too bad to set up with FORScan, but you would most likely need to install the whole axle unit.
As an alternate, and if I was to be thinking about doing this, I would look into have a Torsen Differential Unit installed instead.
The Torsen would activate automatically whenever it was needed.
Here is a youtube link to a description as to how it works:
Sponsored

Last edited: