looking to buy out of state, confused on the rebates....

nana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I am looking to buy the ranger in WA for the bigger discount. I was told differently on how to rebates should applied by 2 dealers. One said i can only use the rebates from my zip code, one said i can use the their rebates. Does anyone know how this should work? And i receive the fees as: doc fee 150, title fee 9, admin fee 2.5 and license fee 600....not sure what is license fee, does it look right?
Sponsored

1medic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
I am looking to buy the ranger in WA for the bigger discount. I was told differently on how to rebates should applied by 2 dealers. One said i can only use the rebates from my zip code, one said i can use the their rebates. Does anyone know how this should work? And i receive the fees as: doc fee 150, title fee 9, admin fee 2.5 and license fee 600....not sure what is license fee, does it look right?
I’ve bought out of state before in OR and the rebates applied to the location purchased. I don’t see anything that says otherwise in the current rebate disclaimers. Do some digging with your correct zip codes on Fords and the dealership websites and look at the disclaimers.
As for fees. Doc and administration fees are typically preset by the state. Your license and taxes are set on your zip code.
As for the dealership who says you don’t get the desired rebate... is that just a sales person telling you?

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I’ve bought out of state before in OR and the rebates applied to the location purchased. I don’t see anything that says otherwise in the current rebate disclaimers. Do some digging with your correct zip codes on Fords and the dealership websites and look at the disclaimers.
As for fees. Doc and administration fees are typically preset by the state. Your license and taxes are set on your zip code.
As for the dealership who says you don’t get the desired rebate... is that just a sales person telling you?
I'll disagree about doc and admin fees. Some dealers don't charge either. I believe they are simply set by the dealer to increase their profit.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Doc and administration fees are typically preset by the state.
I'll disagree about doc and admin fees. Some dealers don't charge either. I believe they are simply set by the dealer to increase their profit.
The doc fee is not directly set by the state, but many states do have rules that affect the application of doc fees, most often in the form of caps. A state-by-state summary of caps can be found here.

And i receive the fees as: doc fee 150, title fee 9, admin fee 2.5 and license fee 600....not sure what is license fee, does it look right?
Been a while since I lived in Washington, but I recall that $150 is the limit for doc fees there. $600 sounds pretty steep for a licensing fee. It's probably due to where you're licensing it, but I'd say you should push a little on that one to make them justify it.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
If you can wait 60 days, then I suggest you take advantage of Ford's X Plan pricing program, I joined the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of this program. The Mustang Club is recognized by Ford as a partner in this program, but you must of been a member for 60 days before reaping it's benefits.
The X Plan policy caps dealer documentation fees at $100.00, but that is just one of the benefits offered in this program. You will need to verify with the selling dealer participation in this program.
I've a 2020 Lariat SuperCab on order, so the 60 day waiting period is moot for me.
Check it out here:
https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/home.do?partnerCode=mc405

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you can wait 60 days, then I suggest you take advantage of Ford's X Plan pricing program, I joined the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of this program. The Mustang Club is recognized by Ford as a partner in this program, but you must of been a member for 60 days before reaping it's benefits.
The X Plan policy caps dealer documentation fees at $100.00, but that is just one of the benefits offered in this program. You will need to verify with the selling dealer participation in this program.
I've a 2020 Lariat SuperCab on order, so the 60 day waiting period is moot for me.
Check it out here:
https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/home.do?partnerCode=mc405
I don't believe you have to be a member for 60 days, I believe you have to have at least 60 days left in your membership. Several forum members have gotten their XPlan PIN almost immediately after joining. You might also look into if your employer offers XPlan pricing. I was able to get XPlan from my work. Costco also has a pretty competitive pricing structure, but dealer participation is limited.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
The doc fee is not directly set by the state, but many states do have rules that affect the application of doc fees, most often in the form of caps. A state-by-state summary of caps can be found here.

Been a while since I lived in Washington, but I recall that $150 is the limit for doc fees there. $600 sounds pretty steep for a licensing fee. It's probably due to where you're licensing it, but I'd say you should push a little on that one to make them justify it.
A "cap" means the dealer can charge zero, so it is at the discretion of the dealer whether they charge one or not. If the licensing fee is what the state charges for licensing the new car and/or sales tax and the dealer has to collect it, then the dealer would have no choice on the amount. In Missouri where I live, you go a state license office and pay sales tax and a transfer fee. The dealer plays no part in it. Varies from state to state obviously.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't believe you have to be a member for 60 days, I believe you have to have at least 60 days left in your membership. Several forum members have gotten their XPlan PIN almost immediately after joining. You might also look into if your employer offers XPlan pricing. I was able to get XPlan from my work. Costco also has a pretty competitive pricing structure, but dealer participation is limited.
Quoted directly from the X-Plan website sir,

"3. PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY

• For employees of eligible partner companies, you must provide a recent pay stub, company I.D., W-2 or company healthcare card. All are acceptable items to verify employment. (Note: business cards will not be accepted as proof of employment). The dealership must list the company or organization's name on the AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement.
  • For residents in the same household as the eligible employee/retiree, driver’s licenses’ will be required for proof of residence.
  • For membership-based partner companies, you must provide a membership card that indicates a 60-day minimum membership "
Notice that in my original response that I had joined the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of the X-Plan benefits, I've no idea what other agreements there may be, nor the terms of those agreements.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Quoted directly from the X-Plan website sir,

"3. PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY

• For employees of eligible partner companies, you must provide a recent pay stub, company I.D., W-2 or company healthcare card. All are acceptable items to verify employment. (Note: business cards will not be accepted as proof of employment). The dealership must list the company or organization's name on the AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement.
  • For residents in the same household as the eligible employee/retiree, driver’s licenses’ will be required for proof of residence.
  • For membership-based partner companies, you must provide a membership card that indicates a 60-day minimum membership "
Notice that in my original response that I had joined the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of the X-Plan benefits, I've no idea what other agreements there may be, nor the terms of those agreements.
They accepted mine and I wasnt a member for 60 days,they did say you must have 60 days left on your membership

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They accepted mine and I wasnt a member for 60 days,they did say you must have 60 days left on your membership
Then, all I can say is that you are fortunate, I presented the X-Plan pricing to Nana as a viable alternative in his new vehicle search.
In doing so, I wanted to present the facts as truthfully as possible and not wanting to be accused of being full of "shibai".

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Then, all I can say is that you are fortunate, I presented the X-Plan pricing to Nana as a viable alternative in his new vehicle search.
In doing so, I wanted to present the facts as truthfully as possible and not wanting to be accused of being full of "shibai".
It probably makes a difference in the dealer - some may be more particular than others. I didn't have to worry about the 60 day thing because I got it thru work.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It probably makes a difference in the dealer - some may be more particular than others. I didn't have to worry about the 60 day thing because I got it thru work.
Could very well be that it depends on the dealer, but the info I got is straight from Ford's X-Plan site. Strange as it seems I was able to obtain a PIN immediately after joining the Mustang Club and not have to wait the 60 days. Perhaps Nana will be as fortunate as you, should he decide to go the X Plan route.
In my situation though, the 60 day membership period (I am now on my 40th.day) is moot, the vehicle probably won't be scheduled for production till late December, possibly early next year. My order was placed on August 28.
I've patiently waited 2.5 years for Ford to revive the truck for the domestic market, another 4-5 months wait time is inconsequential, especially at my age!

OP
OP

nana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
So i Talked to several dealers in the Seattle area and got different answers. One even said they can't apply any rebates on the purchase and i will need to wait for the rebates in the mail after i register the truck....besides the rebates, some dealers can't even do their dealer discount to out of state buyer. The point to go so far to buy is because your big dealer discount before any rebates. idiot!!!

So what is license fee? Is this the same as registration fee?
Sponsored