DIY Power Sliding Rear Window

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
After my successful puddle light install on my XLT, I decided my next project will be figuring out a power sliding rear window. I haven’t completed this yet but I purchased a linear actuator with a wireless remote off of amazon and plan to do a quick write up for anyone interested. I included what I ordered in the links below. If anyone has any input on this, I’d appreciate any knowledge.

I haven’t figured out exactly how to attach it to the window itself. I am considering a small wooden peg that I plan to shave down and likely glue to the lower part of the window. Times like this I really wish I had a 3d printer!

As far as power goes, it looks to be pretty simple. I already have a power wire for the small amp and subs I put behind the rear seat so I’m planning to piggy back off of that.

As far as the manual locking mechanism on the window, I’m planning to obviously remove that. I’m not concerned for security on that window so personally, that’s not an issue. I’m thinking the motor itself will provide enough resistance to make it difficult to slide back anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN341M5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVLXB1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with as well. I wish the truck came with one... I still find it hard to believe that Ford skipped it.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Ive been toying with using a linear actuator for this as well, have sen some examples on line where people have done it with Tacos, frontiers etc. Will be interested to see your progress.

Without any experimentation yet, I was thinking of 3M tape to attach to window

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested to see the outcome. Wondering if you. Went to a junkyard and looked at a late model F150 with that set up. And same looking window, could you just buy those parts and make it work?
Then just find a power source and a location for the switch. I really liked my power window on my F150! The switch was in the overhead bin for sunglasses. You'd push up or pull down to open or close it.

After my successful puddle light install on my XLT, I decided my next project will be figuring out a power sliding rear window. I haven’t completed this yet but I purchased a linear actuator with a wireless remote off of amazon and plan to do a quick write up for anyone interested. I included what I ordered in the links below. If anyone has any input on this, I’d appreciate any knowledge.

I haven’t figured out exactly how to attach it to the window itself. I am considering a small wooden peg that I plan to shave down and likely glue to the lower part of the window. Times like this I really wish I had a 3d printer!

As far as power goes, it looks to be pretty simple. I already have a power wire for the small amp and subs I put behind the rear seat so I’m planning to piggy back off of that.

As far as the manual locking mechanism on the window, I’m planning to obviously remove that. I’m not concerned for security on that window so personally, that’s not an issue. I’m thinking the motor itself will provide enough resistance to make it difficult to slide back anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN341M5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVLXB1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I'm interested to see the outcome. Wondering if you. Went to a junkyard and looked at a late model F150 with that set up. And same looking window, could you just buy those parts and make it work?
Then just find a power source and a location for the switch. I really liked my power window on my F150! The switch was in the overhead bin for sunglasses. You'd push up or pull down to open or close it.
That would definitely be something to look into. A Lightforce bracket with a rear window switch in it would make it look like it came that way if it works!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've been driving since 1997 with a sliding rear window, I think I opened it maybe 10 times in all those years.

I really like looking in the rear view mirror of my Ranger... and not seeing those sliding rear window frames.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
figuring out a power sliding rear window
What is your temperature specs on the RF remote controller for the linear actuator?

Don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but ...
When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees,
the temperature inside a vehicle parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb
to between 130 to 172 degrees.;)

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys

I've thought about this as well, here is my input:

The stroke of the actuator needs to be as close to the opening of the window, roughly 7" iirc. To much stroke and pull strength could actually wedge the window in the open position.

I believe factory power sliders are dual cabled, one at top, one at bottom. This ensures the window stays true to the guide track.

Mcmaster-carr has a wide variety of linear actuators to peruse.

As for attachment to the window, I would probably use a metal stud with epoxy.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I noticed that your actuator has "pre-installed" limit switches, meaning it stops when it gets to full stroke. You would need one with adjustable limits as I believe the A/B switch is Open/Close and not momentary power.

Obviously I could be wrong as I've never seen the actuator in question.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I am interested, too. It would be great to be able to shove 9' fly rods right through that window, to motor to the next spot or to lunch with rods secure under the cap.

OP
OP
dangerranger16

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I noticed that your actuator has "pre-installed" limit switches, meaning it stops when it gets to full stroke. You would need one with adjustable limits as I believe the A/B switch is Open/Close and not momentary power.

Obviously I could be wrong as I've never seen the actuator in question.

Thanks for all the input! I do appreciate it.

So I found some time to do a quick mock up of the actuator and remote. It’s a very simple design and doesn’t go to full stroke with the push of a button, instead the remote button is held and the actuator SLOWLY opens until you let off. Then the other button is pressed for it to SLOWLY close back up. So the limit switches aren’t much of an obstacle in this case. The only thing would be the total distance travelled by this actuator so it doesn’t essentially break anything by going too far, which judging by the distance this thing does actually travel, shouldn’t be an issue. Ultimately, this actuator would probably work but I was really hoping it would open and close much faster than it does. That being said, I have decided to explore some other actuators first. At the moment, I have found a cable type actuator that I will be toying with this weekend. It’s an ACDelco part (I know, I know lol) but is available on Amazon, link below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OVM1KC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have higher hopes for this type of design but depends on how I may be able to rig this thing up. Once it comes in I will need to find a suitable switch. I’m guessing a pig tail would be necessary to aid with wiring but I’ll just wait and see when it comes in this Thursday. It’s a total shot in the dark but will let you know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangerranger16

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
That would definitely be something to look into. A Lightforce bracket with a rear window switch in it would make it look like it came that way if it works!

I actually didn’t know much about the lightforce bracket until you had mentioned it, thank you! It does look great and definitely a top contender for this project. I saw their website, a tad pricey but will be worth it since I’m keeping this truck for a loooong time. I’m also putting in a trailer break controller and saw there might be a way to integrate that into this bracket. Between the trailer brake controller, rear sliding window, and the fog lights I already have, would be an awesome set up. I’m currently using a Warn wireless remote switch for the fog lights but would love a wired option instead.

Lightforce website coupon code anyone?? Lol

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually didn’t know much about the lightforce bracket until you had mentioned it, thank you! It does look great and definitely a top contender for this project. I saw their website, a tad pricey but will be worth it since I’m keeping this truck for a loooong time. I’m also putting in a trailer break controller and saw there might be a way to integrate that into this bracket. Between the trailer brake controller, rear sliding window, and the fog lights I already have, would be an awesome set up. I’m currently using a Warn wireless remote switch for the fog lights but would love a wired option instead.

Lightforce website coupon code anyone?? Lol
Sound like it would work well for you. I’d like one but I don’t really have much of a use for it yet... once I have a couple mods that require switches I’ll get one on order!