First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody having this issue?

A couple of weeks ago my wife said she felt water drip on her foot. I thought it was just a bit of condensation dripping down because it was a hot day and we had the A/C cranked pretty high.

Yesterday I was driving in a moderate rainstorm and now today there is major water coming leaking out of the AC system to the point you can hear water sloshing around inside the system.

I took out the blower just to see how much water was in there, and there was 12-16 oz of water inside the system. I drove around in a parking lot once I had the blower out to try to make the water go to the right side of the vehicle and find it's way out of the system.

My initial thought was it's leaking from the intake, BUT I checked the cab air intake filter and it's bone dry. I don't think there'd be any way it'd leak past the air filter.

Any ideas?

Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Might be clogged A/C evaporator drain in bottom of heater box. I dont know the exact location of it on the new Ranger but some one here might. Good luck

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Is is possibly condensate from the A/C? There should be a condensate line somewhere to drain that water, but maybe it got plugged? Just throwing out ideas.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Wow, that’s a lot of water. No way of knowing where the leak is coming from. Your best bet is to dry everything off and try and narrow it down by pouring water at any possible spots

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Drain is either plugged, or not connected. I've had a few where the drain gets unhooked and either fills with water, or drains directly into the carpet. It's a warranty issue for sure.

OP
OP
JLS Photo

JLS Photo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: The drain for the A/C was plugged. It sounds like this is going to be an issue with several rangers and there may be a service bulletin coming soon.

There is some form of silicone or puddy that is used to seal the AC/Heater area from water. Several Rangers have been brought back with similar issues. The fix is relatively simple, just clearing out the drain. However, the drain is very difficult to get to. The drain is against the firewall just left of center just above the transmission. I tried to get to it myself, but unless you can lean way down over the engine it's impossible to reach.

My dealer did fix it with no charge.

JM86

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
UPDATE: The drain for the A/C was plugged. It sounds like this is going to be an issue with several rangers and there may be a service bulletin coming soon.

There is some form of silicone or puddy that is used to seal the AC/Heater area from water. Several Rangers have been brought back with similar issues. The fix is relatively simple, just clearing out the drain. However, the drain is very difficult to get to. The drain is against the firewall just left of center just above the transmission. I tried to get to it myself, but unless you can lean way down over the engine it's impossible to reach.

My dealer did fix it with no charge.

JM86

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
i never see water draining from the ac on my 2020 ranger. Does it evaporate when hitting the hot transmission. Does everyone else see it dripping or do I have a problem. I don’t seem to have any dampness anywhere on the floor on either side of the front. Thanks

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issue, got a appointment this morning with the dealer. Also having them check the rough transmission shifting, not very happy about that. I gave it sometime to learn the adaptive learning process but I have 2100 miles and it should have learned by now.

Alberto Herrera

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Ranger PX2
Occupation
Aeronautical Engineer
Anybody having this issue?

A couple of weeks ago my wife said she felt water drip on her foot. I thought it was just a bit of condensation dripping down because it was a hot day and we had the A/C cranked pretty high.

Yesterday I was driving in a moderate rainstorm and now today there is major water coming leaking out of the AC system to the point you can hear water sloshing around inside the system.

I took out the blower just to see how much water was in there, and there was 12-16 oz of water inside the system. I drove around in a parking lot once I had the blower out to try to make the water go to the right side of the vehicle and find it's way out of the system.

My initial thought was it's leaking from the intake, BUT I checked the cab air intake filter and it's bone dry. I don't think there'd be any way it'd leak past the air filter.

Any ideas?

Hey Jason!! Just today I found out my 2015 PX2 Prefacelift Ranger also has the exact same issue your truck has, the A/C Evaporator is leaking a huge amount of water on Pilot and copilot side. My Truck's carpets are swamped. It has to be a design flaw. Unfortunately my truck is already out of warranty but for sure the dealer needs to know about this situation. The truck will eventually get a moldy smell if the situation gets to be unattended.

Alberto Herrera

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Ranger PX2
Occupation
Aeronautical Engineer
i never see water draining from the ac on my 2020 ranger. Does it evaporate when hitting the hot transmission. Does everyone else see it dripping or do I have a problem. I don’t seem to have any dampness anywhere on the floor on either side of the front. Thanks
JM86,

I just noticed the problem today. My truck is a 2015 PX2 Pre-facelift and the A/C Evaporator is pouring a huge amount of water into the cabin. My Guess is it started a couple of weeks ago so make sure to keep checking so you dont go with the problem after warranty as I did.

uralbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XRT Super Cab
Well it has happend to me . I can hear the water sloshing around in the turns, and comming out on the floor. Boy I am happy for carpet delete.

My concern is corrosion of the coil and mold/bacteria groth. I don't need my very own Covid factory.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Well it has happend to me . I can hear the water sloshing around in the turns, and comming out on the floor. Boy I am happy for carpet delete.

My concern is corrosion of the coil and mold/bacteria groth. I don't need my very own Covid factory.
Wonder if this could be related to the smell that some people have reported coming from their vents. I could definitely envision a plugged A/C drain and resulting excess moisture causing unanticipated microbial growth, which would definitely lead to some funk in the climate control system.
Sponsored