Ranger vs F150

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
For over 30 years I have heard the same stupid argument about every Ranger I have owned.
That is...
" For about the same price you coulda bought an F150!"
My reply has often been " for about the same price, a Corvette buyer coulda bought a Bluebird Bus."

Even though the new Ranger is now too large for compact truck buyers and apparently too small for F150 buyers, I still heard that same comment yesterday.
The fact that the Ranger is too tall to be practical and too long to fit in the average garage has apparently not mitigated the notion that size determines value and so no truck is big enough.

The Ranger is now what a full sized truck should be, and fullsized trucks are now just ridiculous behemoths, yet the idea that "no truck is big enough" still persists... will it ever end?

Fullsized truck buyers just don't get the point, I kept my old Ranger for 18 years for one primary reason... No new Ranger!
I am saddened by the fact that the Ranger wheel base is too long and only a 4X4 stance is available, but I made the compromise.... No More!
I bought Rangers over the years because of the combination of practical size and solid capabilities.
I like my new Ranger in spite of the fact that it is a bit bloated, but I would not buy a larger truck, no matter the badge on the fender.
For me...Twice the size at half the price would be a NO SALE!
Sponsored

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
People that make the statement "For about the same price you coulda bought an F150!" haven't done their research.

A bottom of the line 4 wheel drive F-150, with the standard V-6 / 6-speed auto with steel wheels and zero options is still a couple grand more than a 4x4 Ranger including the XL - STX - FX4 and Tow Package.

Ford makes it so easy to build one of these online... you don't even half to leave the couch.

https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?fbclid=IwAR1Wl3Xt2VPgcVqgmHNBvxvJTqsJtRryPpFHdznONNOoRsVFxejNNAXPQR0#/config/Config[|Ford|F-150|2019|1|1.|100A.X1E.....SS6.SCAB.RETAIL.AWD.XL.]

https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/?vhptid=fv-2722-vhp-ranger-ctrl:billboard:slide0:na:ford ranger&fbclid=IwAR0bdMHWG85HwkpK4LE4mVBHkf_1ZRdSq1nYAPzMlWLN1694NrM5eewVeaw#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2019|1|1.|101A.R1F..J7...914.53R.99H.SAB.AWD.44U.RETAIL.XL.86S.17C.16E.87A.41H.]

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Ranger much better than any base F150. The base V6 is a terrible engine for such a big vehicle.
F150 very bulky for me

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
People that make the statement "For about the same price you coulda bought an F150!" haven't done their research.
It is true that F-150s are heavily discounted, but you still can't get an F-150 with the same features as the price of a Ranger. As others have said, even if the F-150 were cheaper, I wouldn't consider it. It is just too big for me. BEAUTIFUL trucks, but they are HUGE.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
It is true that F-150s are heavily discounted, but you still can't get an F-150 with the same features as the price of a Ranger. As others have said, even if the F-150 were cheaper, I wouldn't consider it. It is just too big for me. BEAUTIFUL trucks, but they are HUGE.
100% agree. I have absolutely no use or desire for a full size truck.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
It is true that F-150s are heavily discounted, but you still can't get an F-150 with the same features as the price of a Ranger..
I test drove a Ranger, but it had one feature I have come to depend on. Memory seats. The wife is five foot nothing and after she drives my ST it's hard to get the seat right again. Her Escape has them. Get in, press a button, and adjust the rearview mirror. Done.

Ford had $7500 on the hood of leftover '18 F150's back in May and I found a basic 500A Lariat with trailer tow, navigation and Sync Connect, and before TTL it was a hair over $37k. Sticker was around $51k. I don't have the LED lighting and the driver aids, but the Ranger doesn't have memory cooled seats. I don't count all the driving aids anyway, because when I drive her Escape I turn them off. They drive me nuts.

So, while you may not be able to get an F-150 with some of the Ranger features for the same price, there are some features you can't get on a Ranger that you can on an F150.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a Ranger, but it had one feature I have come to depend on. Memory seats. The wife is five foot nothing and after she drives my ST it's hard to get the seat right again. Her Escape has them. Get in, press a button, and adjust the rearview mirror. Done.

Ford had $7500 on the hood of leftover '18 F150's back in May and I found a basic 500A Lariat with trailer tow, navigation and Sync Connect, and before TTL it was a hair over $37k. Sticker was around $51k. I don't have the LED lighting and the driver aids, but the Ranger doesn't have memory cooled seats. I don't count all the driving aids anyway, because when I drive her Escape I turn them off. They drive me nuts.

So, while you may not be able to get an F-150 with some of the Ranger features for the same price, there are some features you can't get on a Ranger that you can on an F150.
That is very true. There are some features on the F-150 I wish they would put on the Ranger (like cooled seats). That memory feature would be really useful if you have two drivers. My wife doesn't want to drive mine, so I don't have to worry about it.

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

I'm 6 ft and the Ranger is too high for easy access, at 5ft nothing she may never have gotten behind the wheel of a Ranger anyway:giggle:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Interesting thread. It really shows how adaptive the car manufacturers have to be to the needs (wants) of it's customers.

I just wanted a truck, a basic 4x4 midsize truck with 6 air bags. I'd have gladly bought one without power anything and zero hi-tech if it was available.

Contrast that minimalistic utilitarian approach to the folks that want a Lincoln with cooled seats, dampened tailgates and the ability to search for a donut shop on the info-tainment center.

It appears Ford is doing pretty good at finding middle ground, where we each have to compromise, but still get most of what we wanted, or in my case, more than what I wanted.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Well, at least there are options. Just think, we now have a midsize truck with two different cabs, full size with three cabs, several levels of Superduty trucks in a variety of configurations and powertrain choices. You can tow all the way up to 10 box cars with the new electric truck!

Because I choose a Ranger today to satisfy my needs does not mean all those other configurations are not needed. People haul campers, horse trailers, 30 foot travel trailers, 15,000 lb boats, car haulers, construction equipment, and a whole bunch of stuff in between.

It is great to have so many choices!

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
I have had three Rangers They have always been the right size for me. I have had full size trucks and have driven the new F150s, I took a 2019 Ranger for a test drive and loved it for me its the Goldilocks truck. I for one like the bigger size over my 96 and 98 but I don't need cooled seats with toilet and bidet option for those ;long road trips, infotainment distraction systems, heat and cooled cups holders, I need a good daily driver that will last me 10 years and tow well When I price the Ranger over the F150 I still think its several thousand less for the Ranger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's important to remember that we don't really know the ranger pricing yet (neither does Ford). Looking at stickers is a waste of time on the f150, but Ford will likely start to behave the same way (discounts) once the 2020s hit the streets. When you can compare a year old ranger to a year old 150, then we'll have a better idea of the long term pricing.

TheLoneRider

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, 2018 Escape Titanium, 2017 Mustang GT Convertible
While the memory feature is nice, my F150 didn't have it so I am used to it. And really, it only take a few seconds to adjust the seat/mirrors.

Frontier and Tacoma were too small inside for me. Too cramped for my girth and gut when we bought the F150 in 2015. Front seats on my Ranger are indistinguishable from the F150. Doesn't have the WIDE center console/flip up third front seat but that wasn't needed. Just a drivers seat that didn't make me feel like I was in a Yugo.

Ranger is perfect size for me to be comfortable behind the wheel and smaller outside so hopefully my wife will not:
-Back into the concrete base of a light post in parking lot ($4500 repair)
-Scrape drivers side rear fender along street sign post ($1300 repair)
-Remove passenger side mirror on blue bollard outside Walmart entrance ($450 repair)

Having the 360 parking sensors and bigger screen should make it easier for her to avoid these "mishaps", time will tell....

Last edited:

jjaneba

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I've driven an F150 since I can remember. They aren't unnecessarily big. They are made for guys that need to haul stuff and they do that very well. I have run into multiple instances where my F-150 was not big enough for what I was doing in construction.
Now I am a PM and spend most of my time sitting at a desk. I only bought my Ranger because my old F150 died. I went to buy a new one and then I saw my Ranger sitting on the lot. That caused me to test drive every mid-size truck on the market. I think the the Ranger is the perfect size. I can still fit a handful of drywall/plywood sheets in the back if I need to, yet it's small enough that I can take it down 4x4 trails. If it were any smaller I wouldn't be interested (at that point just buy a car), but if it were any bigger it wouldn't be able to get to the places I want it to go.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
This is my third ranger, I love it.perfect size and all the technology and Goodies!!
Sponsored