Truck doing some wacky things...

Oradank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Damn I heard that grinding on a right turn out of a driveway today, i thought it was because of my strut spacers i just installed... I was about to take them off! Lol, My traction control light was flashing simultaneously as the grinding noise went on it felt almost like the car was also applying brakes or something. I let off the gas quickly and it went away. Definitely unusual. Went throught the same driveway again later on and same thing occured. Couldnt remake the sound anywhere else though.. strange
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I’ve now found a driveway where I can do it nearly every time. Time to get a video for Ford...

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve now found a driveway where I can do it nearly every time. Time to get a video for Ford...
The problem is you can’t really get a video from it, just a feel. Lol. The dealer was able to feel it too and have it in writing.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
The problem is you can’t really get a video from it, just a feel. Lol. The dealer was able to feel it too and have it in writing.
No I’m confident you’ll be able to hear the noise made and see the dry pavement as well as the indicator flashing. I’ll do it a few times too.

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
No I’m confident you’ll be able to hear the noise made and see the dry pavement as well as the indicator flashing. I’ll do it a few times too.
Let me know!! Good luck. Didn’t hear a update from Ford yet on the buyback.

395Runner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic FX4 Lariat, 350whp 2006 WRX Wagon
Gentlemen,

Looking forward to any solutions or hard info on this grind while turning issue.

I had this grinding happen once, also a high throttle left turn at almost full lock. (Not a very common driving situation.)

It pretty much sounded like ABS activation.

Oradank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Let me what ford says guys! Do any of you have any aftermarket suspension parts? Im wondering if they'll give me shit for strut spacers and say thats the cause

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Let me what ford says guys! Do any of you have any aftermarket suspension parts? Im wondering if they'll give me shit for strut spacers and say thats the cause
I'd guarantee the dealer will pin it on aftermarket suspension if they can... I guess it all depends on how much money you spend elsewhere in the dealership though. Generally if they can get out of warranty work, they will make every attempt unless you have them dead to rights.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger (Lariat FX4), 2001 Ford Ranger (Edge 4x4), 2012 Subaru Outback
Vehicle Showcase
I'd guarantee the dealer will pin it on aftermarket suspension if they can... I guess it all depends on how much money you spend elsewhere in the dealership though. Generally if they can get out of warranty work, they will make every attempt unless you have them dead to rights.
No aftermarket suspension or any modifications on mine. Problem is getting worse if anything. Was in with the dealer for a week on the 19th, no resolution yet. I needed the truck back this week and will be dropping it back next week again. Dealer is very apologetic and is now adamant that they will get this resolved. They apparently have another customer with the same problem now. Will report back after next week's investigation.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did a drive with a dealership tech today, and was able to reproduce the grinding problem. His conclusion was that the traction control was kicking in when it shouldn't be. He mentioned that it could be one of several things, like a tone ring being incorrectly calibrated or something like that. Truck is still with them but at least now they can replicate and diagnose properly. Will update once they come back with a fix.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got the truck back today. According to Ford, it's working as designed. They claim it is a traction control/ABS system kicking in when the yaw sensor detects excessive roll/slippage/etc. Seems ridiculously sensitive in my opinion, this happens when turning out of a regular parking lot, with the truck being not in any way unstable as far as I can tell. At any rate, they tested 3 other new trucks on the lot, and got them all to do the same thing, so I accept that it's working as designed, it's just a bad design.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got the truck back today. According to Ford, it's working as designed. They claim it is a traction control/ABS system kicking in when the yaw sensor detects excessive roll/slippage/etc. Seems ridiculously sensitive in my opinion, this happens when turning out of a regular parking lot, with the truck being not in any way unstable as far as I can tell. At any rate, they tested 3 other new trucks on the lot, and got them all to do the same thing, so I accept that it's working as designed, it's just a bad design.
Hi Stephen,

It is NOT bad design. It would be designated as bad calibration. For example...I have a buddy in Autonomous vehicles that visited my two years ago when he was up at the test track in Phoenix. He told me to disable the lane keeping assist function as the guy programing it was way too aggressive with the Assist. Warn was okay but assist was not good, so we took my Lincoln out to the I91 interstate with assist enables and the Lincoln jerked left when I steered to the centerline (no traffic around). He was right but it got into production based on one guy doing what he wanted. Why? Because this feature was not tested in any management drive evaluations. So my buddy brought this up in some predrive meetings of the top brass. It is now evaluated, but there was no fix or TSB. As a former Racecar driver, I would not enable assist anyway, but it was pause for concern for me, so on my 2019 Ranger I also have assist disabled. I maybe an old fart but my reflexes are still pretty good.

The takeaway from these assist functions is to experience them and see if they are appropriate for them. Someone on this site was concerned by the crash waning and suggested someone drive into a wall. No need. Just get a tall orange cone and drive toward it. If you think the warring is too early you can safely reset the warning without landing in a brick wall... Hope this makes sense.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Phil,

Our Ranger has lane keeping assist, and though I don't use it much I have tried it out a few times and didn't find it to be too jerky. Maybe it got toned down in the Ranger. On the other hand, the adaptive cruise has taken some getting used to. The following distance is adjustable, and there's no problem there, but there are times when I'm approaching slower traffic where it seems to wait too long to begin slowing down compared to my own instincts. I personally would have started slowing down sooner, which creates a bit of discomfort when driving. Other drivers might think it's just fine.

It's probably a sign of a general issue. As more automation is added, I think the manufacturers are going to be wrestling with how much adjustability to provide to the driver. If every possible parameter is adjustable, the menus will long and difficult to navigate, as well as confusing to some people. If too little is adjustable, then the increasing automation will create more situations where the driver is not comfortable with the way the vehicle responds.

Probably the best is if it becomes adaptive. If I'm regularly hitting the brake during adaptive cruise, it should sense that and adjust it's own braking profile, etc. Hopefully things will be going that way.

I like the orange cone idea for testing the collision avoidance system :)

Hi Stephen,

It is NOT bad design. It would be designated as bad calibration. For example...I have a buddy in Autonomous vehicles that visited my two years ago when he was up at the test track in Phoenix. He told me to disable the lane keeping assist function as the guy programing it was way too aggressive with the Assist. Warn was okay but assist was not good, so we took my Lincoln out to the I91 interstate with assist enables and the Lincoln jerked left when I steered to the centerline (no traffic around). He was right but it got into production based on one guy doing what he wanted. Why? Because this feature was not tested in any management drive evaluations. So my buddy brought this up in some predrive meetings of the top brass. It is now evaluated, but there was no fix or TSB. As a former Racecar driver, I would not enable assist anyway, but it was pause for concern for me, so on my 2019 Ranger I also have assist disabled. I maybe an old fart but my reflexes are still pretty good.

The takeaway from these assist functions is to experience them and see if they are appropriate for them. Someone on this site was concerned by the crash waning and suggested someone drive into a wall. No need. Just get a tall orange cone and drive toward it. If you think the warring is too early you can safely reset the warning without landing in a brick wall... Hope this makes sense.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Last edited:

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray