First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
So, I absolutely hate fender flares that have a "bolt-on look." As such, I have to choose between Bushwhackers that leave that silly open area at the bumper (seriously, NOBODY saw that during the design phase?) Or go with Air Design, and have to deal with the fake bolts.

But I had an idea!

There are two possible fixes I have thought of:

1. Bondo the holes over so it's smooth in that regard. Problem is, that seems like a lot of bondo.

2. 3D print filler pieces and put them in the holes. This would require a bit more work, but would be much cleaner.

What do you guys think? Any tips or tricks to pursue options 1 or 2? Any ideas that I have missed?

Thanks!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Ray,

I understand your concern with a non clean look. Maybe wait until someone gets it and releases a non bolt on look? Trite saying is patients is a virtue,,,?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TacoHawkRanger

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Hi Ray,

I understand your concern with a non clean look. Maybe wait until someone gets it and releases a non bolt on look? Trite saying is patients is a virtue,,,?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Perhaps, but I am definitely widening the stance on my Ranger. It's narrower than I'd like. I plan on new wheels with at least a 0 offset sometime in November, and I'll need fender flares to cover them by then. I would like to buy the Ranger Raptor fenders (and bumper) but I think that will be sometime down the road...

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
So, I absolutely hate fender flares that have a "bolt-on look." As such, I have to choose between Bushwhackers that leave that silly open area at the bumper (seriously, NOBODY saw that during the design phase?) Or go with Air Design, and have to deal with the fake bolts.

But I had an idea!

1. Bondo the holes over so it's smooth in that regard. Problem is, that seems like a lot of bondo.

2. 3D print filler pieces and put them in the holes. This would require a bit more work, but would be much cleaner.

What do you guys think? Any tips or tricks to pursue options 1 or 2? Any ideas that I have missed?

Thanks!
I am in the exact same boat as you. I can't stand the fake bolt on looking fender flares, and I can't stand how stupid the smooth Bushwackers look without the front bumper pieces.

Let me add option #3 to your list, and that is to make a bumper extension piece that matches up with the smooth Bushwacker flares. This could either be 3D printed, or made from fiberglass. I thought of looking for a front bumper flare extension from other vehicles to see if one could be a somewhat close fit on our Rangers. I had an old 2001 Tundra that had the factory flares and it all looked great because it was uniform around the whole wheel well, including the sides of the front bumper.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I know this would cost more & I don't know if it would work but is it possible to buy 2 sets of bushwhacker front flares & sacrifice 1 set to make bumper extensions?

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I did 0 offset with no flares. Personally not a fan of fender flares. The tires barely stick out

6D034516-5138-4633-A08A-4539EC795561.jpeg

OP
OP
TacoHawkRanger

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I am in the exact same boat as you. I can't stand the fake bolt on looking fender flares, and I can't stand how stupid the smooth Bushwackers look without the front bumper pieces.

Let me add option #3 to your list, and that is to make a bumper extension piece that matches up with the smooth Bushwacker flares. This could either be 3D printed, or made from fiberglass. I thought of looking for a front bumper flare extension from other vehicles to see if one could be a somewhat close fit on our Rangers. I had an old 2001 Tundra that had the factory flares and it all looked great because it was uniform around the whole wheel well, including the sides of the front bumper.
I hadn't thought about 3D printing a whole bumper extension... I'd worry about print quality with that though.

I know this would cost more & I don't know if it would work but is it possible to buy 2 sets of bushwhacker front flares & sacrifice 1 set to make bumper extensions?
That price though!

I did 0 offset with no flares. Personally not a fan of fender flares. The tires barely stick out

6D034516-5138-4633-A08A-4539EC795561.jpeg
Do you have a pic or measurement for how far they stick out? If it's not far, I'll go wider for more width!

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Here is a test fit of the wheels and tires I have from my past 2 trucks. These are 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad, 0 offset. Tires are 305/70/16. They definitely stick out and would destroy the paint on the truck if I ran them with no flares/flaps.

IMG_7692.jpeg

IMG_7691.jpeg

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Do you have a pic or measurement for how far they stick out? If it's not far, I'll go wider for more width![/QUOTE]

This is the best I have saved on my phone. I can get better pics though

7BB452A0-77A5-49A0-AFAA-3F898D2D0BB4.png

OP
OP
TacoHawkRanger

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Here is a test fit of the wheels and tires I have from my past 2 trucks. These are 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad, 0 offset. Tires are 305/70/16. They definitely stick out and would destroy the paint on the truck if I ran them with no flares/flaps.]
This is the best I have saved on my phone. I can get better pics though
I agree with Troy, need to have something to save the paint! I like the track though!

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on ranger
Vehicle Showcase
98AE01E1-60D2-4E07-8124-56BAE69D5450.jpeg
Here’s what I did. I got the black screw covers for the license plate to blend things in
This was done on a previous Toyota I had

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2

But I had an idea!

Thanks!
Have a look at eBay or alibaba. There are several versions avaiable from thailand and china. Thisnparts are all quite the same. I mean quality is a relative thing.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Have a look at eBay or alibaba. There are several versions avaiable from thailand and china. Thisnparts are all quite the same. I mean quality is a relative thing.
Lund has it will have some fender flares available

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Lund has it will have some fender flares available
Lund sells the flares and they stick out about 1/2 as far as Bushwhacker. I’m desperately looking for the bumper extensions sold by Air Design. I wish they would sell them separately. The extended flares look terrible with the factory bumper!

A785941F-6BE7-431A-B52B-ACA1D2417671.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I’m desperately looking for the bumper extensions ...
How bad do you want these? Any good fabricator could modify the steel Ranger bumper by fabricating steel weld on extensions or just by widening the bumper.... and then it wouldn't look like an add on at all.

7BB452A0-77A5-49A0-AFAA-3F898D2D0BB4.png
Sponsored

Last edited: