Ford's spray in bed liner...not 100%

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Line-X was actually $60 cheaper than the factory Ford liner when I had it put in.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's a good - better - best argument but what you need is based on how you use your truck. The factory liner is the least expensive, and for most folks it's good enough.
It's generally as much or more than a basic linex. It mostly has convenience going for it.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I find it odd that people complain that a plastic liner will rub the paint and cause rust in the bed yet they are perfectly OK with someone sanding the bed :crazy:
Nothing odd about it at all to me. Sanding the bed will allow the spray in bed liner to better adhere to the bed which will create a better seal from the elements and prevent rust. You don't sand the bed and then leave metal exposed during that process. A drop in liner can rub paint off leaving metal exposed underneath the liner which can eventually cause rust if exposed with air and water.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's generally as much or more than a basic linex. It mostly has convenience going for it.
Line-X was actually $60 cheaper than the factory Ford liner when I had it put in.
Again, Opinions Vary. The nearest Line X shop for me is a 2 hour drive, one way. Then I'll be sitting there for hours waiting. Then drive another 2 hours back home. So a $60 savings gets lost pretty quick when you figure fuel and a day of your time.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Again, Opinions Vary. The nearest Line X shop for me is a 2 hour drive, one way. Then I'll be sitting there for hours waiting. Then drive another 2 hours back home. So a $60 savings gets lost pretty quick when you figure fuel and a day of your time.
I hear you there. I was in the same boat, over an hour away from Line-X but still decided to make the trip due to past experiences. I was pretty impressed with their speed, done in 56 minutes. Not arguing at all, just conversation!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In my mind that all falls under "convenience" (which happens to be what I said in the text you quoted). Sure, you might live in the middle of nowhere and spend hundreds of dollars getting to a linex dealer, but that's really stretching things as a general argument. Most of the time advice on a forum like this reflects average experiences unless you lead with "it would cost me hundreds of dollars to get to a linex dealer". But, as always, YMMV, and if you have obscure facts that apply, you can simply add that extra knowledge to your evaluation.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In my mind that all falls under "convenience" (which happens to be what I said in the text you quoted). Sure, you might live in the middle of nowhere and spend hundreds of dollars getting to a linex dealer, but that's really stretching things as a general argument. Most of the time advice on a forum like this reflects average experiences unless you lead with "it would cost me hundreds of dollars to get to a linex dealer". But, as always, YMMV, and if you have obscure facts that apply, you can simply add that extra knowledge to your evaluation.
I agree... merely pointing out that what works great for one Metro Ranger, may not work for the Lone Ranger out in the wide open spaces.

As for convenience... we drove 250 miles, one way, to get our Ranger.

Given the choice... I'd much rather have a nice smooth drop in bedliner, that has molded in pockets to install 2x6's that aid in stacking lumber, plywood, ect. They are so easy to power wash and clean, and they don't mar boards when you slide them into the truck.

2019 Ranger Bedliner Photo 002.jpg
2019 Ranger Bedliner Photo 003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Unfortunately, the metal bed will be scratched and scuffed over the years. Water gets underneath and it will rust.

I speak from experience.

My 1st F150 had a drop in bed liner. I had it for about 8 months before I decided to get Linex. When I went to install it, the installer called me in to the shop to show me the bed after he removed the drop in. It was completely scratched and rust was beginning to show...minimal but it was there.

They proceeded to scuff the sides because they didn't have to scuff the bottom...it was pretty bad.

The Linex was the best liner I've ever had and have mentioned in previous posts that I've always made that the second upgrade on every truck I've owned - except for this Ranger.

BTW...the first upgrade has ALWAYS been a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover.

I can certainly understand your want for a nice clean drop in and respect your choice. I just wanted to let you know what happens under the drop in that no one talks about.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I agree... merely pointing out that what works great for one Metro Ranger, may not work for the Lone Ranger out in the wide open spaces. As for convenience... we drove 250 miles, one way, to get our Ranger.
Unfortunately, the metal bed will be scratched and scuffed over the years. Water gets underneath and it will rust.

I speak from experience.

My 1st F150 had a drop in bed liner. I had it for about 8 months before I decided to get Linex. When I went to install it, the installer called me in to the shop to show me the bed after he removed the drop in. It was completely scratched and rust was beginning to show...minimal but it was there.

They proceeded to scuff the sides because they didn't have to scuff the bottom...it was pretty bad.

The Linex was the best liner I've ever had and have mentioned in previous posts that I've always made that the second upgrade on every truck I've owned - except for this Ranger.

BTW...the first upgrade has ALWAYS been a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover.

I can certainly understand your want for a nice clean drop in and respect your choice. I just wanted to let you know what happens under the drop in that no one talks about.
Experiences vary, based on your needs and your location. You live in Florida, lots of salt in the air and very high humidity. I live in Colorado, we have cactus growing in our yard, very arid climate, very low humidity.

Let me also speak from experience. I traded in a 2002 Tacoma when I bought my Ranger last week. We bought the truck new and the Tacoma had a factory installed drop in bed liner. In 17 years it did indeed scuff the paint, but it never rusted, anywhere. The truck itself had no body rust, anywhere.

Kelly Blue Book on my 17 year old Tacoma was around $4,500 dollars.... we got nearly twice that. That's one of the many advantages to living in an arid climate.

Last edited:

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
I agree... merely pointing out that what works great for one Metro Ranger, may not work for the Lone Ranger out in the wide open spaces.

As for convenience... we drove 250 miles, one way, to get our Ranger.

Given the choice... I'd much rather have a nice smooth drop in bedliner, that has molded in pockets to install 2x6's that aid in stacking lumber, plywood, ect. They are so easy to power wash and clean, and they don't mar boards when you slide them into the truck.

2019 Ranger Bedliner Photo 002.jpg
2019 Ranger Bedliner Photo 003.jpg

Had a drop-in in my 2013 F-150 Ecobeast now I have one in my Ranger.

I throw down a moving blanket when I don't want stuff to slide around.

After 6 years the one in F-150 looked like the day I purchased it and I did not baby it. Shrubs, rocks, mulch, lumber and lots of vacation stuff :thumbsup:

The spray ins are nice but look like $hit after a few months :(

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="beetlespin, post: 65725, member: 1119"
The spray ins are nice but look like $hit after a few months :([/QUOTE]

I have to disagree - I had a LineX in my old Ranger and after 14 years and MANY, MANY loads of wood, gravel, lumber, furniture, etc and it still looked really good. It didn't look like it did when it came fresh from the shop after being sprayed, but it looked really good - and it took a LOT of abuse.

The only reason I didn't get one on my new Ranger was I wanted to try a BedRug - if I had unlimited money I would have done a LineX covered by a BedRug. But I'm trying the BedRug and I figure the worst I'll do is destroy the BedRug and end up getting a spray in down the road.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I find it odd that people complain that a plastic liner will rub the paint and cause rust in the bed yet they are perfectly OK with someone sanding the bed :crazy:
I've no problem at all with sanding the bed in preparation for the bedliner material to adhere properly, I do however take exception to someone grinding the bed as I stated i my original post. This action sir, sent resulting grinding sparks onto the vehicle they were working on, as well as others in the vicinity of which none of them were protected accordingly. This is why I promptly left that business and had the bedliner work performed elsewhere. For what it is worth the business in which I witnessed the grinding is out of business, for good reason.
Insofar as to the spray in bedliner on my 2000 SuperCab, corrosion has not been an issue at all, this after being exposed to 19 years to the harsh salt area environment one has to deal with living in Hawaii. This would indicate that the coating has effectively precluded any oxygen, a vital element in corrosion production.