Loud at start up and 1st gear

Deleted member 1634

true. sometimes i dont notice it others it sounds like the truck is powered by a jet engine and its spooling up. If only I could hear the tiny little fist sized turbo in my ranger....
I can hear the turbo "wheeze" during shifting sometimes. Usually when the radio is off (or low) and I'm shifting up from very high revs. Like when I'm in S mode for engine braking down a hill and let it shift up. It's not crazy, but it is fun to hear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I can hear the turbo "wheeze" during shifting sometimes. Usually when the radio is off (or low) and I'm shifting up from very high revs. Like when I'm in S mode for engine braking down a hill and let it shift up. It's not crazy, but it is fun to hear.
Turbo? What turbo. Between the Jet engine sound in the mornings and the kick @$$ stereo I can't hear any turbo ...and I also use "S" mode a lot. LOVE the power that silent turbo makes.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
New fan clutch calibration needed.
Overnight the silicone fluid driains to the bottom of the clutch, locking it on. If you spin it up and hold it it will dissipate faster but I am not revving a cold engine...
One implies a viscosity issue, the other implies a calibration issue. What was the resolution on the Aerostar?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
One implies a viscosity issue, the other implies a calibration issue. What was the resolution on the Aerostar?
I doubt the Aerostar had an electronic clutch, though they didn't stay around long enough for me to have had the "pleasure" of working on one.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Yep just an old school style fan. I think it sounds GREAT!

I just thinks it's cool I get to sound like a big semi for 10 seconds everyday ha!

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
When I left for work today, I didn't have the A/C on cause it's finally starting to cool down a little here in South Florida and there was NO FAN NOISE.

It was nice to be able to hear the engine instead of the jet liner

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I just thinks it's cool I get to sound like a big semi for 10 seconds everyday ha!
I didn't really like it at first, but like you I think it is kind of cool now. It doesn't last long, so even if you don't like it, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ya I installed a dual port vent to atmosphere blow off valve from Turbosmart once in a while if I let off while making boost or dring a shift you can hear it. It's pretty cool but I bought it mostly because I plan on upping the boost eventually and the Turbosmart can handle high boost better than the stock BOV. Anyway, the sound was worth the 250 or so dollars I spent on it. Here is a video of it.

Angus Heriot

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
Mine didn't start out doing this...or at least I never noticed it. The last two mornings, I've noticed the fan noise and felt like it was limiting acceleration. I was wondering if it was something I needed to wait and let it warm up more or whether something was wrong. ...this is from a cold start.

I'll try and let it warm up longer or pay closer attention during pre-start through idle.

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant

There is a video on YouTube that discusses the "fake" startup sound:

Last edited:

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi Jerry,

Overnight the silicone fluid driains to the bottom of the clutch, locking it on. If you spin it up and hold it it will dissipate faster but I am not revving a cold engine... We battled this on the 3.0L V6 Aerostar for most if its life, but the clutch manufacturer did figure out how to resolve it. Need the same resolution here in my opinion.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you for this great clue @P. A. Schilke! Led me to learn about how viscous coupling fans work and I found a patent that describes an issue that pretty perfectly lines up with my observations on my Ranger. Others can check out the “Description of Related Art” section for the clearest description I’ve found so far of the pumping cycle for the fluid, potential causes for it to drain into the working area, and why that draining can cause the fan to engage (unintentionally) briefly on a cold startup. Sounds like the reason it runs briefly and then stops is not so much a programmed behavior but the physical result of it needing that rotation to pump the leaked fluid back into the reservoir in order to disengage the fan clutch.

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
If you check out the patent I linked to in my preceding post you can see how they might be related. It says that depending on how the fan is oriented when it stops moving could influence orientation of the drain channel, allowing fluid to leak out of the reservoir or not. I assume the calibration mentioned is about trying to control the fan such that it always comes to rest in an orientation where the fluid remains in the reservoir?
Sponsored