Hankook to supply original equipment tire to 2019 Ford Ranger

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I had Hankook ATs on my Tacoma for 2 years. They were good on snow but terrible on wet roads and loud on the freeway. Don't know that I would ever buy another set of Hankooks.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Opinions are like ...holes... everyone has one and they all stink. I will say that certain tire sizes and tread styles react differently with different weight vehicles and wheelbases.
exactly. had falken wildpeeks on my F150. My favorite tire I had on that truck. great traction, great ride, and great wear. and less expensive than the GY or BFG.

yes, I liked them over the BFG they replaced. wear blows on those. Lots of $$ for short life.

Never had Hankook's, so no opinion until I actually receive my Ranger. But I will not replace a brand new tire and will wait until normal replacement to determine what replacement.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Our 2014 Explorer came with Hankook tires and was really disappointed in the tread life and handling. Was not looking forward to having them on my Ranger. So I was very pleased when my Lariat 4x2 with no trim package came with Bridgestone Duelers.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
My 2011 Taurus came with them. Drove well. Lasted 43,000 miles.

gkendrick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Buyer beware. I had selected the LT tire upgrade on my 2019 Ranger order, and it arrived three weeks ago with a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/65-17.

Because I expect to carry heavy loads frequently in my Ranger, I was expecting and hoping for a 10-ply LT Dynapro (RF-10) with an E load rating, which Hankook currently has listed on their website in an LT265/70-17 size:
https://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html

The bad news: the model the came with the truck is only a 6-ply LT tire with Load rating "C" and only a 2-ply sidewall. That's barely an LT tire in my book. This tire doesn't even exist on Hankook's website as an available model or size, and so I assume it must have been custom made for Ford as a lighter-duty LT tire.

In fact, nearly all of the LT Dynapro ATMs shown on Hankook's website are 10-ply tires, so Ford seems to have been cutting corners on this one.

As a result, I've just replaced the Hankooks with a set of Falken Wildpeak ATM 265/70-17 E-rated tires to handle heavy loads and with a more robust sidewall for off road adventures.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
My XL/STX came with Bridgestones tires, and I've been happy with it so far! I was worried about getting Hankook tires.

edgefx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Buyer beware. I had selected the LT tire upgrade on my 2019 Ranger order, and it arrived three weeks ago with a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/65-17.

Because I expect to carry heavy loads frequently in my Ranger, I was expecting and hoping for a 10-ply LT Dynapro (RF-10) with an E load rating, which Hankook currently has listed on their website in an LT265/70-17 size:
https://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html

The bad news: the model the came with the truck is only a 6-ply LT tire with Load rating "C" and only a 2-ply sidewall. That's barely an LT tire in my book. This tire doesn't even exist on Hankook's website as an available model or size, and so I assume it must have been custom made for Ford as a lighter-duty LT tire.

In fact, nearly all of the LT Dynapro ATMs shown on Hankook's website are 10-ply tires, so Ford seems to have been cutting corners on this one.

As a result, I've just replaced the Hankooks with a set of Falken Wildpeak ATM 265/70-17 E-rated tires to handle heavy loads and with a more robust sidewall for off road adventures.
My wife hit a curb at like 3mph and it blew a hole in the sidewall of my Hankoook. Now Ford doesn't even seem to carry them anymore, my dealer can't even order them. Your suspicions were correct, they seem to be cutting corners on a cheap tire. I'll probably be replacing all 4 with something useful.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Is the white lettering on both sides of the AT-Ms that come with the ford ranger?

mmenon1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2018 BMW R1200GS
Occupation
Wildlife Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I bought my Ranger new last week. Lariat, FX4, 265/60 18, First of all, thanks to everyone on here for all of the valuable info. It has been a great resource.

I've been researching tires and trying to get an understanding of the Hankook Dynapro ATMs that are on my truck and whether to upgrade yet. I noticed so far that everyone has mentioned that the tires are 6 ply and one of the posted pics in the thread show that as well. I just went and checked my tires and they are 5 ply. 2 steel + 2 poly + 1 nylon. Is this a "cheaper" OEM thing? There is no lettered load rating I can find on the tire anywhere. It's too dark to get a pic tonight, but I can post one later if that helps. Just curious about what I've got on there. Thanks!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I bought my Ranger new last week. Lariat, FX4, 265/60 18, First of all, thanks to everyone on here for all of the valuable info. It has been a great resource.

I've been researching tires and trying to get an understanding of the Hankook Dynapro ATMs that are on my truck and whether to upgrade yet. I noticed so far that everyone has mentioned that the tires are 6 ply and one of the posted pics in the thread show that as well. I just went and checked my tires and they are 5 ply. 2 steel + 2 poly + 1 nylon. Is this a "cheaper" OEM thing? There is no lettered load rating I can find on the tire anywhere. It's too dark to get a pic tonight, but I can post one later if that helps. Just curious about what I've got on there. Thanks!
Ply isn't really a meaningful term on tires these days. It dates back to when tires were made from cloth, and now manufacturers talk about "equivalent" plies because actual cotton layers aren't a thing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

Hi Michael,

Not about Ranger but about Hankook tires. I have then on my 2019 Ranger. Also on used to have on my 2016 Lincoln MKX until very recently. So here is the story. Walking out into the garage I noticed something on the tires of the wife's Lincoln....the front tires were down to the wear bars, in other words the top of Lincoln's head was visible. MKX is Front Wheel Drive, so the back tires should have been good as I never rotate tires on a FWD vehicle on advice of the Tire Manufacturers reps that I dealt with when at Ford. What I found was the rear tires were also extremely worn. Mileage on the MKX...21,800! What poor tire wear!!!!! Replaced at Costco with Michelin Premium 240/50/20. Hopefully better tire wear. I fear my Ranger will be in the same boat. My opinion, Hankook tires are poor, cheap Korean tires. Will avoid at all cost.

Back story,

I was head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering when the Firestone fiasco exploded on the the scene thanks to our awful Egocentric CEO Jacques Nasser. I had to get Ranger off Firestone tires at all cost and to also certify likely replacements for any Ford Ranger currently under warranty from Ford in customer hands. I was swamped with workload and we had engineers evaluating tires from all over the world to certify tires for replacement. My tire engineer, Wayne K. mentioned Hankook? Never heard of them, but I was desperate for any Tire that met testing requirements. Hankook flunked at that time and I am still tainted by the effort we had to use that ended up wasting our precious time on what then were junk tires. Want to know something....Cooper tires were superb. Cooper could support aftermarket volume but not oem volume. Surprising to me but excellent tires, so when I needed tires on my 2007 Ranger in the state of Maine, as tires on a vehicle in tow have a hard life, and Continental/General Conti Trac tires that I selected for production for the assembly plants were just marginal, and worn out. I replaced with Cooper. Only reason for Conti Trac was they were the only ones that could support Ranger production volumes of 340,000 vehicles a year. Second only to the F-Series at the time in 2002! It was after this fiasco I had 30 years in at Ford and retired....I had been folded, mutilated and spent... Time to go.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mmenon1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wildlife Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ply isn't really a meaningful term on tires these days. It dates back to when tires were made from cloth, and now manufacturers talk about "equivalent" plies because actual cotton layers aren't a thing.
Thanks Mike

mmenon1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wildlife Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Michael,

Not about Ranger but about Hankook tires. I have then on my 2019 Ranger. Also on used to have on my 2016 Lincoln MKX until very recently. So here is the story. Walking out into the garage I noticed something on the tires of the wife's Lincoln....the front tires were down to the wear bars, in other words the top of Lincoln's head was visible. MKX is Front Wheel Drive, so the back tires should have been good as I never rotate tires on a FWD vehicle on advice of the Tire Manufacturers reps that I dealt with when at Ford. What I found was the rear tires were also extremely worn. Mileage on the MKX...21,800! What poor tire wear!!!!! Replaced at Costco with Michelin Premium 240/50/20. Hopefully better tire wear. I fear my Ranger will be in the same boat. My opinion, Hankook tires are poor, cheap Korean tires. Will avoid at all cost.

Back story,

I was head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering when the Firestone fiasco exploded on the the scene thanks to our awful Egocentric CEO Jacques Nasser. I had to get Ranger off Firestone tires at all cost and to also certify likely replacements for any Ford Ranger currently under warranty from Ford in customer hands. I was swamped with workload and we had engineers evaluating tires from all over the world to certify tires for replacement. My tire engineer, Wayne K. mentioned Hankook? Never heard of them, but I was desperate for any Tire that met testing requirements. Hankook flunked at that time and I am still tainted by the effort we had to use that ended up wasting our precious time on what then were junk tires. Want to know something....Cooper tires were superb. Cooper could support aftermarket volume but not oem volume. Surprising to me but excellent tires, so when I needed tires on my 2007 Ranger in the state of Maine, as tires on a vehicle in tow have a hard life, and Continental/General Conti Trac tires that I selected for production for the assembly plants were just marginal, and worn out. I replaced with Cooper. Only reason for Conti Trac was they were the only ones that could support Ranger production volumes of 340,000 vehicles a year. Second only to the F-Series at the time in 2002! It was after this fiasco I had 30 years in at Ford and retired....I had been folded, mutilated and spent... Time to go.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Paul. I guess I'll leave them on for the time being and then switch before I need to use the truck for "truck stuff" once quarantine ends!

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
My wife hit a curb at like 3mph and it blew a hole in the sidewall of my Hankoook. Now Ford doesn't even seem to carry them anymore, my dealer can't even order them. Your suspicions were correct, they seem to be cutting corners on a cheap tire. I'll probably be replacing all 4 with something useful.
Gee after the infamous exploding Firestones on the Explorers back in the 90's you'd think Ford would have learned it's lesson...

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Want to know something....Cooper tires were superb.
I was turned on to Cooper from the locally-owned tire shop in my tiny little hometown, which sold Cooper as the preferred brand. I have purchased these tires in many different sizes, and 25 years later it is the only brand of tire I've ever put on my trucks.

Cooper owns Dick Cepek and Mickey Thompson, which have as much an off-road pedigree as any brand.

And, Cooper & Goodyear are the only true American tire brands left. It would take something catastrophic to get me to put anything other than a Cooper AT3 on my truck.

FWIW/YMMV. Like an earlier poster said everyone has an opinion. BTW I do not work for Cooper LOL
Sponsored