Truck wouldn't start. Many codes.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Could use some help getting pointed in the right direction since the service department couldn't turn up anything.

Stopped to fill up with gas a couple days ago and when I went to start the brake was rock hard (finally! haha) and a bunch of errors cycled across the left instrument panel screen. Truck would not start for about 5 minutes but eventually start. Had a little illuminated wrench that disappeared the following morning.

The truck braking felt a little off that day and I had a hard downshift in the morning (never had it before). Maybe connected.. maybe not

You can read the service ticket. Makes sense that it points to a loose connector but they didn't find it. Any other ideas where to look based in the error codes on the ticket?

20190828_172614.jpg
Sponsored

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
Could use some help getting pointed in the right direction since the service department couldn't turn up anything.

Stopped to fill up with gas a couple days ago and when I went to start the brake was rock hard (finally! haha) and a bunch of errors cycled across the left instrument panel screen. Truck would not start for about 5 minutes but eventually start. Had a little illuminated wrench that disappeared the following morning.

The truck braking felt a little off that day and I had a hard downshift in the morning (never had it before). Maybe connected.. maybe not

You can read the service ticket. Makes sense that it points to a loose connector but they didn't find it. Any other ideas where to look based in the error codes on the ticket?

20190828_172614.jpg
I just got my truck back after 33 days in the shop for a very similar issue. Check the post here

They replaced a brake switch, and the smart data module, reprogrammed the bcm and pcm numerous times. It all came down to a wire short in the harness between the modules under the fuse/relay box under the hood. Hope this helps, let me know if you want pics of the codes and work performed on mine.

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I just got my truck back after 33 days in the shop for a very similar issue. Check the post here

They replaced a brake switch, and the smart data module, reprogrammed the bcm and pcm numerous times. It all came down to a wire short in the harness between the modules under the fuse/relay box under the hood. Hope this helps, let me know if you want pics of the codes and work performed on mine.
Man, that was a long ordeal to get your truck fixed and that's with calling in the A-team.

At this point I will wait for it to happen again. It would be great if I could get pointed to a connector that goes "click". I would have to laugh big time if I had a wiring harness problem given I rejected a 2018 GTI that had a wiring harness issue identified before I took delivery.

Currently (knock on wood) I have a very reliable Maytag driving appliance so have no problem working through a problem.

See how things go. Appreciate the offer and may hit you up later.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Something like this just happened to me this morning 2400 miles and would start but lots of errors in the left screen - lariat - and then it would die if I put it out of Park.. even the wipers went on/off a couple times lol... it would remote start a couple times ... thought maybe a battery issue so I let it run but then wouldn't remote start at all... about 5 minutes later after several attempts, I popped the hood and got in and started it ... all was normal, no errors. Pretty strange, the truck has been perfect up to that point.

I checked the codes with my odbc scanner and none showed up.. pretty strange.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Something like this just happened to me this morning 2400 miles and would start but lots of errors in the left screen - lariat - and then it would die if I put it out of Park.. even the wipers went on/off a couple times lol... it would remote start a couple times ... thought maybe a battery issue so I let it run but then wouldn't remote start at all... about 5 minutes later after several attempts, I popped the hood and got in and started it ... all was normal, no errors. Pretty strange, the truck has been perfect up to that point.

I checked the codes with my odbc scanner and none showed up.. pretty strange.
It seems like there have been an unusual number of problems associated with poor connections between systems. It sounds like that might be your issue too. I know at least a few people have found a loose connection under/near one of the headlights (left headlight maybe?). I will search to see if I can find more details on that.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
It seems like there have been an unusual number of problems associated with poor connections between systems. It sounds like that might be your issue too. I know at least a few people have found a loose connection under/near one of the headlights (left headlight maybe?). I will search to see if I can find more details on that.
I remember that and have previously taken a look but didn't really know what I was looking for, everything appeared tight but there's only 100,000 connectors on the truck lol

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I remember that and have previously taken a look but didn't really know what I was looking for, everything appeared tight but there's only 100,000 connectors on the truck lol
I know, I'd feel a little lost as well - there are a LOT of connectors and a LOT of wiring.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Yep, behind the left headlight and in front of the Horse Collar

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Grimlock

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat / 2019 Edge ST
Vehicle Showcase
Had this exact thing happen to me this morning. Truck was driving great (5600 miles od), pulled in to a convenience store to buy my morning breakfast and went to start my truck back up then boom. Christmas tree on the left side with all the errors. took less then 5 minutes to get it going again, biggest thing was the truck just would not shut off electrically (not the engine).

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I'm currently waiting on supposedly "revised" harnesses and my problems seem to be in one of these connectors under the driver's side of cab
(This is pic taken of my loaner XLT)
harnesses.png

*Per the Svc Mgr, it's not a revised harness but a parts labeling issue. Order what you think is the correct part, Ford sends something different.

And the blurry screen was another bad pin for the backup camera.

Last edited:

jarcub_XLT

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician (Ford)
I had this same issue this morning. Remote started with FordPass to get me to work. Pulled DTCs when I got to work and I have almost the exact same codes.

With my experience lately with these newer Ford's, there is a pin fit or terminal fretting issue somewhere. I will be doing some extensive diagnosis on my truck to see if it can be duplicated and see where the issue lies. I will report back with my findings. Just wanted to chime in and let you know you're not alone!
2DC32BC4-CAD7-474B-BAD8-E79F06DE3B8C.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

20190828_172614.jpg
Curious... when was your truck built?
Sponsored