Dean's 3D Printed Ignition Trim Ring Bezel (Build/Buy Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Youtube VIdeo Link

Up on eBay. Link here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223699603387
Printed in Black ASA plastic.

Glow in the Dark version is here (requested by fellow ranger5g members t4thfavor & Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223706303443
Printed in ABS plastic.

It is only natural for competition to develop. But I hate it that they steal my photographs and even use my description for their own ebay ads!

Buy with assurance from an ebay seller with a 100% feedback rating. These competitors have only sold a few and have most likely not worked out the quality control.

I've reduced my price accordingly to $8.99 But please be aware that every trim ring sold supports the Ranger 5G website! These competitors do not have such a burden.

black_unpaintedp.jpg

bezel1.jpg

View attachment 18694
glow_lightp.jpg

glow_dark.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
MERICA BABY!:like:
There's another guy doing them in some weird white nylon, they probably look "better", but only in printed resolution. I'm hoping I can pretty this one a little bit with some acetone or super fine sandpaper before installing it.

Or maybe I'll just leave it alone since it's better than what I currently have.

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
There's another guy doing them in some weird white nylon, they probably look "better", but only in printed resolution. I'm hoping I can pretty this one a little bit with some acetone or super fine sandpaper before installing it.

Or maybe I'll just leave it alone since it's better than what I currently have.
The white one he made was just a prototype. The ones he is selling will be a dark color material.

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
Looks nice and something I also wondered, why Ford didn't put something like this on my XLT. I'll have to whip something up on my printer.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I would have produced these sooner (I had the model made back in late July). The problem was that the heated bed power supply blew on my 3d printer. Took me time to get things back in order.

I'm not trying to undercut the other guy. I had always planned on selling them for ~$10. After all, it's just a little plastic thingy. I'd sell them for less if I could get the shipping lower.

I think Ford ran into a supplier issue on these. I can't believe they dropped it for cost. It's quite possible that they will start installing them on all newly made Rangers at some point.

I've only sold a few at this point - but I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has purchased them. I am happy to make improvements if required. I've had one on my Ranger for almost two months with no issues.

Last edited:

TKDMasterV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT - Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine, thanks. I need some glow in the dark neon blue paint, ha

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would have produced these sooner (I had the model made back in late July). The problem was that the heated bed power supply blew on my 3d printer. Took me time to get things back in order.

I'm not trying to undercut the other guy. I had always planned on selling them for ~$10. After all, it's just a little plastic thingy. I'd sell them for less if I could get the shipping lower.

I think Ford ran into a supplier issue on these. I can't believe they dropped it for cost. It's quite possible that they will start installing them on all newly made Rangers at some point.

I've only sold a few at this point - but I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has purchased them. I am happy to make improvements if required. I've had one on my Ranger for almost two months with no issues.

Hi Dean,

Nice job...I thought other folks might step up to address this "oversight" by Ford. The important things for such parts is its properties. For example...what is the max material temperature that they can withstand? Parked Truck in the AZ sun can hit some extremely high temps, Can your material hold up? What affects the deterioration of the material, like UV for example.

Probably good to post the properties of the material as printed, not as loaded into the printer.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Hi Dean,

Nice job...I thought other folks might step up to address this "oversight" by Ford. The important things for such parts is its properties. For example...what is the max material temperature that they can withstand? Parked Truck in the AZ sun can hit some extremely high temps, Can your material hold up? What affects the deterioration of the material, like UV for example.

Probably good to post the properties of the material as printed, not as loaded into the printer.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Phil,

I was specific to state the brand and type of filament I am using in case anyone was curious. That being said, I just visited Filament One's website and I don't see any datasheets available for download. I'll send them and email to see if I can get something for this specific brand.

However I think we can speak of ASA in a general sense as far as properties go.
Here are a few links that may address your concerns...
https://www.stratasys.com/materials/search/asa
https://all3dp.com/2/asa-filament-explained-and-compared/

I went with ASA primarily because of it's UV resistance and it's "ABS strength". I didn't want to go with something really stiff like poly-carbonate because I needed some give for the detents.

Another reason is that ASA has really nice print quality as best described by this gentlemen, Thomas Sanladerer

I think "As printed properties" is tough to nail down with FDM printed parts. There are a lot of parameters in the printing algorithms that can alter properties. Infill density, infill type, material extrusion temperature, bed temperature, etc...

One thing that is important is layer to layer adhesion. Prior to only recent software updates in the slicing software, gang printing several parts at once resulted in the print head jumping from part to part as each layer was laid down. This had a negative impact on layer adhesion, because the prior layer would have time to cool down.

These parts were printed as a gang of four on the machine. But the new software prints one part in it's entirety, then moves to the next part location, re-zeros the bed and starts the next part. This, combined with a concentric infill pattern ensures that current layer goes down onto prior layer quickly and gives a strong final part.

These are the things you learn from using these machines over the years.

Last edited:

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Dean, are you the one I’m talking to on eBay? Eelttam, the one from hawaii

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

I was specific to state the brand and type of filament I am using in case anyone was curious. That being said, I just visited Filament One's website and I don't see any datasheets available for download. I'll send them and email to see if I can get something for this specific brand.

However I think we can speak of ASA in a general sense as far as properties go.
Here are a few links that may address your concerns...
https://www.stratasys.com/materials/search/asa
https://all3dp.com/2/asa-filament-explained-and-compared/

I went with ASA primarily because of it's UV resistance and it's "ABS strength". I didn't want to go with something really stiff like poly-carbonate because I needed some give for the detents.

Another reason is that ASA has really nice print quality as best described by this gentlemen, Thomas Sanladerer

I think "As printed properties" is tough to nail down with FDM printed parts. There are a lot of parameters in the printing algorithms that can alter properties. Infill density, infill type, material extrusion temperature, bed temperature, etc...

One thing that is important is layer to layer adhesion. Prior to only recent software updates in the slicing software, gang printing several parts at once resulted in the print head jumping from part to part as each layer was laid down. This had a negative impact on layer adhesion, because the prior layer would have time to cool down.

These parts were printed as a gang of four on the machine. But the new software prints one part in it's entirety, then moves to the next part location, re-zeros the bed and starts the next part. This, combined with a concentric infill pattern ensures that current layer goes down onto prior layer quickly and gives a strong final part.

These are the things you learn from using these machines over the years.
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the response...I have very little experience in 3D printing...We did use it in our lithographically lab primarily for packaging experience of components. We did not worry about UV and high temps, but now the sophistication of the technology is amazing. Good job pulling this info together for those that need this trim ring...I think they can purchase with confidence! Again Good Job!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I should have mine by Monday or Tuesday at the latest, I'll definitely post some feedback. I drive a ton, so I'll be the test bed for extreme use (temps and key cycles )

I'd have liked one done in glow in the dark (the only time white/light color would be acceptable).

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I have glow in the dark ABS. I'll tell you what. Glow in the dark crank baits work pretty good.

I'll see if I can print a few bezels in glow in the dark. I'd like to get some feedback first for those I have sent out first.

Surfink

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pepper White Cooper S Clubman, 2019 Saber STX SuperCrew
Vehicle Showcase
I have glow in the dark ABS. I'll tell you what. Glow in the dark crank baits work pretty good.

I'll see if I can print a few bezels in glow in the dark. I'd like to get some feedback first for those I have sent out first.
Thanks Dean, looking forward to receiving mine..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.