Former Tacoma Owners Club

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
I went back on TW a few weeks ago just to stir the pot. Yea it's childish but it's fun to see them get so riled up. :LOL:
I was just on and they keep making new threads just to bash the ranger
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was just on and they keep making new threads just to bash the ranger
Hi Folks,

I think this means the Ranger is a real threat!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Hi Folks,

I think this means the Ranger is a real threat!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
Umm, Irony Alert

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I still follow a couple threads on the Tacoma World Forums, but its hilarious seeing how huge the OVTune thread has gotten, and how many problems they're still having :clap:

395Runner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic FX4 Lariat, 350whp 2006 WRX Wagon
Former 1st gen Tacoma owner here. Loved that thing...indestructible!

All I know is, I just did a long trip on two-lane highways..mostly 4x4s, pickups, and big rigs out there. I saw a bunch of badass-looking TRD Sport / TRD Pro Tacomas stuck behind 18 wheelers!

Its all fun and games until you spend 20miles behind a Kenworth because you lack the HP to swing out into oncoming traffic! :headbang:

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Former 1st gen Tacoma owner here. Loved that thing...indestructible!

All I know is, I just did a long trip on two-lane highways..mostly 4x4s, pickups, and big rigs out there. I saw a bunch of badass-looking TRD Sport / TRD Pro Tacomas stuck behind 18 wheelers!

Its all fun and games until you spend 20miles behind a Kenworth because you lack the HP to swing out into oncoming traffic! :headbang:
First gen Tacoma was in a whole league of its own. If I came across a good one I would have picked one up

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I think there is room for both trucks, competition in the marketplace is good. When I first started looking at getting a new truck I thought I was actually going to buy one. But after driving everything and lots of research decided the ranger was the right fit for me (literally and figuratively). That said I think Toyota has rested on their laurels a little and the Tacoma has gotten a little older and less feature dense for the price.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Was wondering how many came from Tacoma and why they chose the Ranger over the Tacoma.
We traded in our '02 Tacoma to buy our 2019 Ranger. The Tacoma had 177,000 miles, had the original factory installed brakes and clutch and was the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

The reason we didn't buy another Tacoma is:
A) The seating is absolutely horrible... even worse than our '02,
B) The styling of the truck reminds me of something from a "Transformers" movie. I'm 58 so that's not something I like.
C) The nearest Toyota dealership is over 2 hours away from our home... not that I've ever needed a Toyota dealership, but from what I've read the new Tacoma's seem to have issues that require running it back for periodic software updates.

We also looked at Chevy Colorado's. The reason we didn't buy one is:
A) When driving the Colorado you can feel the road up through and into the cab of the truck? It's hard to explain, it almost feels like a wheel bearing issue. We drove a brand new 2019 and also a used 2018. They both had that same feeling.
B) The interior styling is boring. A flat dash in front of the passenger and the information / audio center looks like a square box glued to the dash.
C) My wife said the seats reminded her of a burlap feed sack. I didn't notice that until she mentioned it.

So that's why this 20+ year faithful Tacoma buyer ended up buying a Ford. Man... I hope the Ranger is dependable or I'll be kicking myself in the butt. Kind of stepping out on faith... and as a retired Engineer that's something I rarely have done in my life.

John

I did a compilation of the 3 models we were comparing... Not only did we like the Ranger the best... it was the most cost effective also. We wanted a Sabre colored Ranger... but couldn't find one so we settled on an in stock "Magnetic" rather than wait 3 months to have one built.

Colorado and Ranger.jpg

001.JPG

Last edited:

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
I'll keep this one alive, because when I announced I sold my 2018 Tacoma double cab 6ft bed TRD Off-Road 4x4, and bought the Ranger Lariat (I had some goodies to either giveaway or steal for little $ for the Tacoma boys/girls) I too had stupid comments (e.g. I'll regret it after 25K, Ford sucks at making trucks, or whatever, seriously??? the basic platform, engine, and tech have been around the world for this truck for years), are you serious kid?! I don't care if Nissan rolls out a new Frontier, and you sell your Ranger/Tacoma for it...I want to know why, and then congrats by the way. Are we effin kids in mall crawlers, or truck guys??? It was simple for me, I didn't hate the Tacoma or think it was a terrible truck, but certainly didn't love driving it. Much better truck than my 2003 Tundra I traded for it, yet that Tundra had some magic with the V8, 8ft bed and custom exhaust. Having great resale value or perceived reliability does not make you passionate about a vehicle you drive...yeah so your wife/girl is reliable with making dinner, and reminding you of your tasks, yeah so hot..HA! I had a lot of respect for the guys on TW who sent me private PM's - or posted to the thread wishing me well, or shared their issue with how the Tacoma could be so much better.

IMG_0570.jpg
E55ED181-635F-4973-9A51-9546C74A7FB3.JPG
IMG_6324.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG

Last edited:

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has a 2017 Taco, I had considered the Taco myself, knowing Toyota's reliability, you cannot deny that..but Im a Ford guy, have been since my teens and Im 61 now. American manufacturers have had some very rough years and have put out some real crap, they all have. So I had to go with Ford..we didnt need two taco's. Having driven the taco I agree with some that the seating is horrible! I have had multiple back surgeries and their seating just didnt work for me. My wife loves it and she has had 2 older Rangers which both were very good trucks. Love my new Ranger and I like my wife's Taco....Hmmm joke in there I won't elaborate on....

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I bought my Ranger and held on to my Tacoma (2007). Great truck, but not even in the same league as the Ranger. The Tacoma has become our farm truck because it’s so reliable and has cost us nothing (other than regular maintenance). It’s apples and oranges. My Ranger is a great vehicle and so much more refined than the Tacoma. Buying a Ranger was a great move in my case. I’m very attached to the Tacoma, but the Ranger is such a great daily driver that I know I made a good choice.