SOLVED: Excessive Wind Noise Above 50 MPH, Window Gasket Replaced

Dwane Kepler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat
I to have high wind noise coming back area above 45 mph on my supercab.Anyone else?
I have loud noise coming from the rear seat area of my Super Crew, but I think it's road noise, not wind. It changes with different road surfaces.
Sponsored

Jwilliams

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
I have loud noise coming from the rear seat area of my Super Crew, but I think it's road noise, not wind. It changes with different road surfaces.
I have the same issue with my Lariat SuperCrew. At 70 mph it is very loud. Seems to be coming from the passenger side rear area. Have checked the door seals.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Try sealing the rear passenger door with masking tape from the outside to see if that isolates the noise? Might help you find the problem if you haven't tried that yet. I think someone else had an issue with excess sealant between the cab and the bed.

rangersam

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram 1500 sold
Has anyone found a answer to the high wind noise coming from rear door area on super cab?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Wind noise is very hard to track down sometimes...here is a relatively cheap trick to locate wind noise sources. Purchase a cheap mechanics stethoscope, Remove the steel probe and the plastic diaphragm so all you have is the earpieces and the tube. This becomes a very directional sound source tool Have someone drive at Freeway speed while you ride in the back and search around the entire door from the bottom to the top...when you hit the spot of where the noise is coming in, you will likely almost blow out your ear drums...(just kidding). A very cheap and easy tool...works wonders for windshield sealer skips too which result in a hurricane sound in some cases. Hope this helps.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Lot of noise on mine. Sounds like a window is part way open. Get below 45 mph and sounds great. I hope that Ford is looking at this. On a long trip it is very annoying.
I think you will find it and fix it, check for a folded over edge on the gasket material , or a latch adjustment.
Mine is quiet up to 100MPH and at 63MPH in 25-30MPH winds on our last trip, so its not a design flaw.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will find it and fix it, check for a folded over edge on the gasket material , or a latch adjustment.
Mine is quiet up to 100MPH and at 63MPH in 25-30MPH winds on our last trip, so its not a design flaw.
Hi...

Agree, not a design flaw, but an Assembly Plant issue...Maybe. Designs have to be assembly misinstall proof...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hi...

Agree, not a design flaw, but an Assembly Plant issue...Maybe. Designs have to be assembly misinstall proof...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
True that, ;)
But since there can be no such thing as absolutely "misinstall proof"...
the occasional glitch often must be found and corrected by field techs and fleet mechanics.
If it becomes too common, (as you say) an assembly procedure change might be in the offing :whew:.
Or...
Maybe a door gasket or some related part might be malformed or damaged and a parts supplier is responsible.
Heck , until its investigated... it could be a fast food container stuck in the door (I've seen worse)

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Madame...
Madame who?
Madame foot's caught in the door!:LOL:

To your point....
If my truck is any indication, they sure are close to that evasive goal!:like:
If "nothing's perfect", then I might just have to name my truck "Nothing".:giggle:

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
My Lariot SC road/wind noise above 40 or so. In the shop twice and they spend more time convincing themselves it's normal than measuring sound levels while moving. Here's shop report...

First time in...
Story: 703 Crosswind noise MTNPF 50. Test drove vehicle and heard slide crosswind noise from windshield area. Test drove like vehicle and both share the same characteristic. No repairs made at this time.

Second time in...
Story: 894 80 Vehicle previously in for same concern. Check the integrity of right side door weather stripping and seals. No issue found at this time. Using ultrasonic emitter, checked for possible air leaks all around right side of vehicle. No issue or leaks found at this time. Compared/test drove vehicle to two other like vehicles and all three vehicles had same characteristics. No repairs made at this time.

Now, since it is worse on rough pavement, I'm wondering if it's the box that the seat sits on, needing padding. Floor has carpet pad, this area doesn't.
My Lariot has a hard tonneau cover. Going to pad and check with db meter. Oh, there's also free app available for sound pressure level reading. My '11 F150 was quieter.

Swartz4rce

First Name
Emory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
My Lariot SC road/wind noise above 40 or so. In the shop twice and they spend more time convincing themselves it's normal than measuring sound levels while moving. Here's shop report...

First time in...
Story: 703 Crosswind noise MTNPF 50. Test drove vehicle and heard slide crosswind noise from windshield area. Test drove like vehicle and both share the same characteristic. No repairs made at this time.

Second time in...
Story: 894 80 Vehicle previously in for same concern. Check the integrity of right side door weather stripping and seals. No issue found at this time. Using ultrasonic emitter, checked for possible air leaks all around right side of vehicle. No issue or leaks found at this time. Compared/test drove vehicle to two other like vehicles and all three vehicles had same characteristics. No repairs made at this time.

Now, since it is worse on rough pavement, I'm wondering if it's the box that the seat sits on, needing padding. Floor has carpet pad, this area doesn't.
My Lariot has a hard tonneau cover. Going to pad and check with db meter. Oh, there's also free app available for sound pressure level reading. My '11 F150 was quieter.
Took mine to dealership also, they said it is normal which there is no way. It is pretty loud. I put sound deafening in door and still hear it. Would love to find the cause.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found the solution to wind noise, which sounds like its coming from right rear door or window?
I tried putting tape around rear door and window, but couldn’t tell any difference. I have just about decided it’s just the nature of the beast since so many people are experience the same problem.
Truck is dead silent. As most report.

I would have it checked out.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found the solution to wind noise, which sounds like its coming from right rear door or window?
I tried putting tape around rear door and window, but couldn’t tell any difference. I have just about decided it’s just the nature of the beast since so many people are experience the same problem.
I have it, sounds like driver door above and behind my head. I also had my rear seat in the upright position and it sounded like my right rear passenger door was open!

Swartz4rce

First Name
Emory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have it, sounds like driver door above and behind my head. I also had my rear seat in the upright position and it sounded like my right rear passenger door was open!
Same here. Driving me nuts. Still looking for solutions
Sponsored

Reactions: SFB