How many miles before Maint Rqd light comes on?

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I've had my Ranger for 5 months now. The oil still looks very clean with 4k miles on it. Just wondering how many miles before the vehicle will notify me the oil needs changed.

I'm thinking of having it changed at 5k just to have the tires rotated.
Sponsored

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I've had my Ranger for 5 months now. The oil still looks very clean with 4k miles on it. Just wondering how many miles before the vehicle will notify me the oil needs changed.

Just a guess but 12 months or 10000 miles.
My mustang is an "occasional driver" so I have it running full synthetic and on a yearly schedule, I just changed the oil last week with 4% oil life left but slightly less than 2k since the last oil change 1 year ago. I got the Change oil soon light...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Joe,

Let the vehicle tell you wen to change the oil...It will give you about a 1000 mile advanced warning to change the oil... The days of the Jiffy Lube 3000 mile oil change are over...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks for the great advice. The dealership told me it would be close to 10k when it needed to be changed.

That does bring up another thought though. I always have the tires rotated when I change the oil which was 5k on the last 2 vehicles. Do I now rotate at 10k?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the great advice. The dealership told me it would be close to 10k when it needed to be changed.

That does bring up another thought though. I always have the tires rotated when I change the oil which was 5k on the last 2 vehicles. Do I now rotate at 10k?

Tire Rotation on the Ranger at this 10k or so miles is just fine. No worries to pass 5k miles.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Gcoop81

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2012 ,Toyota Prius C
So should I go by the oil light/ FordPass app that shows my oil life remaining ?

I bought my truck at a dealership about 1.5 hrs away and pretty sure they said to go by it.

So my first service was just before
16k km /10k miles my service soon message came on the day before my appointment

I took it to a dealer near me for service and they told me I should have come in at 8k km /5k miles

Then on the sticker they put 24k km / 15k miles as my next service .

I’m at 23k and My app says I have 57% remaining and to go at 32k km

So do I listen to the app/ truck?
Or listen to the the dealer?

I drive a lot
I’ve had the truck for just over 4 months now
That’s mostly highway miles.

658D633F-0844-48FC-8ABC-C234EA5C7F53.png

A3178A6E-5772-4E5F-A376-C53053E60542.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I know there is a lot of varied opinions on this, but I would suggest going with what the computer on the truck tells you. Changing your oil more frequently doesn't hurt anything, but I don't think it is necessarily a good use of money either (I don't think it really buys you a lot), assuming you use a quality oil and filter when you change it.

I'm guessing they want you to come in at 5k intervals to generate additional revenue for them. But maybe I'm just being a pessimist.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
my dealer sent me notice to change my oil at 8000km, when Ford Pass was telling me it was due about 16000km.

Since I wanted the truck looked at anyways for a few items, and verify some service bulletins, I took it in and did the oil. They put a sticker on my window for another 8000km due. It was their free gifted oil change anyways for purchasing the vehicle.

Im following the Oil Monitor regardless unless there's another reason why I should take it in early. Im not letting the stealership fleece me for oil changes that are not required.
Hi RP,

Wise decision!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

Hi Joe,

Let the vehicle tell you wen to change the oil...It will give you about a 1000 mile advanced warning to change the oil... The days of the Jiffy Lube 3000 mile oil change are over...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Tire Rotation on the Ranger at this 10k or so miles is just fine. No worries to pass 5k miles.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I know there is a lot of varied opinions on this, but I would suggest going with what the computer on the truck tells you. Changing your oil more frequently doesn't hurt anything, but I don't think it is necessarily a good use of money either (I don't think it really buys you a lot), assuming you use a quality oil and filter when you change it.

I'm guessing they want you to come in at 5k intervals to generate additional revenue for them. But maybe I'm just being a pessimist.
It is wonderful to hear people on hear saying these things! I've been trying to say them on other threads but a lot of people seem to be stuck in the old thoughts of everything needs to be done every 3-5k miles, and if you don't, you're ruining your vehicle. Technology has come a long way.

I would agree with @RedlandRanger on the timing thing. Maybe I'm a pessimist too, but if the people you're giving money to are asking you to come in more often so you can spend more money there, then I'm always skeptical. There have been plenty of shops who try and slide one past me to do this thing more often or to change this thing out now, that I'm forever skeptical of shops. I'm definitely not an expert in vehicles, but I'm not an idiot either. I don't hammer on the truck or run it super hot or make the engine work very hard at all, so every 10k miles seems like a very reasonable amount of time to me, and I know that the computer is figuring that as well.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Be careful taking advice from faceless folks on an internet forum.... :bandit:

What tires are on your truck? (It Matters)​

Check your tire warranty information that came with your truck. Hankook recommends every 6 months or 10,000 km (about 6,000 miles) to ensure even wear and long life of tire. Here's a link https://www.hankooktire.com/global/tires-services/care-guide/rotation.html#

Now.. some advice from a faceless guy on an internet forum.... :like:

I ran Hankook ATM's (non-LT tires) on my Tacoma TRD and they needed rotated about every 4,000 miles. If you didn't they would start to make noise due to wear patterns.

I had BFG KO's before the Hankook's.... the TKO's needed rotated every 3,000 miles.

And yes I had the alignment checked on the Tacoma frequently.. it met factory specifications.

No way I'd go 10,000 miles between oil changes, or tire rotation... I'll be using 5,000 miles for both. It makes sense to rotate the tires at the oil change, since they will remove the front left tire anyway during the oil change to access the oil filter.

Why 5,000 miles? Do your research on direct injected turbocharged gasoline motors. Most manufacturer's (including Ford) have an issue with carbon deposits accumulating on the back of intake valves. Keeping the oil as clean as possible will help with that issue... and using 100% synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 (not the blend recommended in the manual) will also help with that issue.

In this case the dealership is steering you in the right direction by recommending more frequent oil changes.​

Also note the owners manual of your truck talks about 5,000 mile oil change intervals in the event the onboard oil diagnostic system fails. See below.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 437 - Oil Change Interval Close Up.jpg

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 437 - Oil Change Interval.jpg

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
16,000km seems to long to me as well. I’m planning on doing 4 months or 8,000km... whichever comes first.

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Explorer Platinum
I have been using the oil life monitor and completing slightly before the 10,000 mile interval in my Ford Explorers (2011 XLT and now a 2018 Platinum) since 2011 with zero issues. I plan on continuing the trend with my Ranger XLT, there is no reason to waste my money and change the oil early. Every dealership will always place the reminder stickers with an early service interval on it.
Sponsored