chirp sound coming from the engine

Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
How did you find out that you had a missing o-ring?
There was another post about wooshing, or something like that as I noticed that. That person said their tech found that to be the issue after like 3 hours. So when I took mine in (after test driving some others to make sure the noise wasn't in fact normal) I told them about that post, they checked it and found the same issue.

After they did the replacement, no more wooshing/sucking noise in cabin.

As for the chirping, I'm going to have to catch that one. We have it noted on the history now, but it didn't do it for them while I was there.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a chirp sound coming from my ranger. I took a video of the part that is making the noise and I have two questions.
Is this chirp sound normal - means all new rangers have this?
What exactly is making the noise? I see the lever moving back and forth when I hear the sound, but I'm not sure what that is. Here is a picture, and the link to the video.

chrip.JPG

View attachment 10216
That is so cool:like:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Didnt you see the warning in the owners manuel " Please dont stick your head or other non replaceable body parts in the wheel well when engine is running."

Travis Hoffman

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have this chirp as well. Happens in a small series on initial start up. Assumed it was something normal. Let me know if anyone hears a definitive answer!

Travis Hoffman

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have this chirp as well. Happens in a small series on initial start up. Assumed it was something normal. Let me know if anyone hears a definitive answer!
Also has been happening since I got the truck with 13 miles

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I took mine to the dealer and they didn't do anything about it. They said they checked and there is no recall or TSB, so live with it, even though other trucks do not make this sound when the waste-gate control actuator moves. At this point I will just live with it and see if it causes any issues. We have 36k or 3 years so I'm not going to worry about right now. That said, before my warranty gets close to running out, I'll try again.

Truck runs great so I cannot see that it's impacting engine performance. Just hate that my new truck sounds like belt slipping or birds under my hood LOL

Travis Hoffman

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I took mine to the dealer and they didn't do anything about it. They said they checked and there is no recall or TSB, so live with it, even though other trucks do not make this sound when the waste-gate control actuator moves. At this point I will just live with it and see if it causes any issues. We have 36k or 3 years so I'm not going to worry about right now. That said, before my warranty gets close to running out, I'll try again.

Truck runs great so I cannot see that it's impacting engine performance. Just hate that my new truck sounds like belt slipping or birds under my hood LOL
I wonder if other trucks don’t do it or if they just don’t notice it.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I first noticed it after I remote started my truck to warm it up and I was standing outside talking on my phone. I notice what I thought at the time was a belt slip. I then realized it was every time I started it cold and at the same time, I think about 1 - 2 minutes after starting. It isn't as easy to hear from inside the truck, so if you don't have remote start, you may not notice it. Look under the passenger front wheel well and watch waste-gate actuator move and see if you also hear the chirp. Mine is loud and easy to confirm. See video in first post of this thread.

I have not heard of any other turbo charged Ford truck doing this, so it may be a Ranger only thing.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yep, mine does it also. It's only while it's warming up, prior to the fan shifting down from "airplane about to take off" mode. It bothered me at first but I have gotten used to it.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The question is - should Ford replace this part because it should not be making that sound, or not? Time will tell....

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Is this sound something you can spray some lube on and forget it?

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Uh,,WD40 and a hammer?

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I never tried a spray lub. Give it a try and let us know

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I never tried a spray lub. Give it a try and let us know
I’ve only heard that sound once ever. So I’m interested to know if others try it and it works.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Mine makes that sound every day..... ? I've gotten used to it but this post has me curious again. Seems like some have it and some don't with no apparent difference in performance or reliability.....
Sponsored