First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y’all,
Does anyone have a problem coming off a cold start and going into 4th gear for the first time. When my truck does it goes into 4th and feels very harsh going into it and then immediately goes to 5th, acting like it should have skipped 4th. It only does it the first time on a cold start.
I’ve had the update from the rough idle but this has been happening before that. Guess I’ll call tomorrow.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Pretty sure my truck skips 4th when driving normal. I would get that checked out

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure my truck skips 4th when driving normal. I would get that checked out
Yea mine skips it to after the first cycle of the gears which is weird. Only does it the first time it cycles from 3rd to 4th to 5th from a cold start. After that it skips 4th entirely.

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Yea mine skips it to after the first cycle of the gears which is weird. Only does it the first time it cycles from 3rd to 4th to 5th from a cold start. After that it skips 4th entirely.
Weird as in why it doesn’t skip the first time either. I know it’s normal for this transmission to skip gears.

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped off today so they will have it for a couple days to properly diagnose it. The guy who checked me in was like maybe that’s a characteristic of the transmission but I haven’t seen anyone with the same problem on here. Told him if that’s the case it isn’t leaving the dealership.

jwtayl01

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I have this same problem. Seems to be cold start only. Not sure if it 3rd to 4th to 5th. But definitely 4th to 5th.

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have this same problem. Seems to be cold start only. Not sure if it 3rd to 4th to 5th. But definitely 4th to 5th.
Yea it’s definitely not normal. I’ll keep you posted and see what they say but might be best to take it in.

dcgibs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 - 4x2 SuperCrew
Yea I would be curious. Mine has a jerky 3rd to 4th in the morning, and 4th to 5th ain't so hot either.

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Today’s update. They called and they were able to feel what I was talking about. They have to clear the “keeper live” memory? Something in the computer is communicating to the transmission to hit 4th gear when it shouldn’t? They need another day with it. Here’s to hoping!!

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Got it back tonight but I’m pretty sure I felt it again. Going to see how it feels in morning on a cold start again.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Got it back tonight but I’m pretty sure I felt it again. Going to see how it feels in morning on a cold start again.
Ah yes, the marvels of electronically controlled transmissions!
Just reflecting here, does anyone remember the old vacuum transmission modulators in years gone by?
The diaphragm in it would rupture, sucking ATF into the engine creating clouds of white-gray smoke out the tailpipe.
And when the transmission did upshift (governor pressure prevailing) you swore that the driveshaft was going to twist itself into a pretzel.
However, you did not worry about the 9" rear end, that thing could take hundreds of shock loads at not even notice.
Ford even installed a smaller version of it in certain Pinto's, now that's engineering overkill.

OP
OP
RangerKody

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Felt it this morning on a cold start :( guess ford customer care it is. This was the 3rd attempt to address the problem.

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Ah yes, the marvels of electronically controlled transmissions!
Just reflecting here, does anyone remember the old vacuum transmission modulators in years gone by?
The diaphragm in it would rupture, sucking ATF into the engine creating clouds of white-gray smoke out the tailpipe.
And when the transmission did upshift (governor pressure prevailing) you swore that the driveshaft was going to twist itself into a pretzel.
However, you did not worry about the 9" rear end, that thing could take hundreds of shock loads at not even notice.
Ford even installed a smaller version of it in certain Pinto's, now that's engineering overkill.
Yeah I can attest to the Pinto rear end. I put a 450hp 302 and C4 tranny in a pinto wagon using the stock rear end and never had an issue.
Smoked a number of Camaros, Mustangs and Vetts with that car

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Keeping an eye on this as the TSB fixed this issue in my truck. Also, pre TSB upgrade, even if the engine was cold and I accelerated harder than normal, it wouldn't have the "4th gear issue".

f_399

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor - Ranger Wildtrack - Ranger XLT - Everest
have the same thing with the raptor here in the philippines

when its cold, 3-4(or 5) is either rough or there is a long delay

gets better when warmed up
Sponsored