Auto Folding Mirror Mod Install Instructions - Pictures/Video

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Last sentence edit: Does the fuse tap still need to be fused.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I'm not to automotive savvy especially with circuitry. Actually another person who is, will be hooking this module up for me. He told me to get everything needed so I have a few parts questions:

Regarding the end of the fuse tap wire that plugs into the fuse box -
1. Are there one or two fuses pushed into the fuse tap? And is/are the fuse/fuses 10 amp.

The reason I'm asking is that the mini fuses at the auto parts store that are light blue colored like what is pictured in the instructions are 15 amp. Red colored are 10 amp. I bought the light blue, 15 amp but the spades seem too wide apart to push into the fuse tap. Also, what about the fuse thats in the module? Does the wire tap still need to be fused?
A 10 amp is fine. These are micro II fuses. I ran the add a tap instead tapping into the wiring. You can just use what's in the kit if you don't want to add a tap.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
A 10 amp is fine. These are micro II fuses. I ran the add a tap instead tapping into the wiring. You can just use what's in the kit if you don't want to add a tap.
I appreciate the response and the work you do getting these modules out to everyone. Thanks!

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Houston, we have/had a problem. My auto-fold on lock stopped working yesterday. Man was I miffed! Triple digit temps when this happened and I was in no mood for it! But being the stubborn Bastard that I am I decided to troubleshoot when the temp dropped below 99.
I found that if I unplugged the Add a Circuit tap and plugged it back in I would regain function, so I replaced the Add a Circuit wiring and thought, good to go... Silly me.
I realized that when I did get the mirrors to fold, unfold was functioning normally so, being overheated and frustrated I decided to call it a night and tackle the problem first thing in the morning. Being retired has its advantages...
So up at 0630, coffee, bowl of cereal and much thought for a game plan I dug deep into the memory banks and commenced to troubleshoot this bitch!
Initially everything was as it was the night before, wiggle the power tap and things worked intermittently. So I broke out the power probe and started stabbing wires (and my fingers too). Chased every wire, Truck and module, and found that even though I got some function messing with the power at the fuse box, in reality the power from Gray/brown to Blue was intermittent. So I pulled the main plug, gave the blue wire a very slight tug and it came out of the connector. So off with the connector on Gray/brown and a reconnect was performed and a reliable connection was established.
Nothing changed. Frustration factor 9+! I then disconnected the Module from the harness and checked signals to its plug. EVERYTHING tested good; power good, power at blue when lock button depressed good, power at green when unlock depressed good.
So I think GREAT MY MODULE has taken a dump!
I wondering how to get another module so I plugged the damn thing back in and DAMN IF IT DIDN"T START PERFORMING NORMALLY!
Well who the hell am I to argue with success!?!
My guess is that the module was confused from all the BS trouble shooting and had to clear it's head to start working again after all the connections were made secure.
Or as the Tweets in the Electronics shop used to explain to us lowly Mechanics... FM... 'efin magic (politically correct translation)...
I'll update if necessary... :)

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Mine has been in almost 4 months with no issues.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Well one week since my last report and everything is working as it should. I am a "Happy Camper." I suspect all previous problems were a result of a poor connection and with all I posted in my previous post in troubleshooting and correcting the poor connection has resolved the issue 100%.

I whole heartedly recommend this MOD!

Thanks RC!

YouknowwhatImean

First Name
Zack Mayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT Ranger; '17 6spd WRX
I suspect all previous problems were a result of a poor connection and with all I posted in my previous post in troubleshooting and correcting the poor connection has resolved the issue 100%.
Thanks RC!
That's what happened to be with the other mod: auto up/down windows. Poor connection. The wires are so thin I had to strip .5 inch to get reliable continuity.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Install was easy with the great pics and suggestions from others like Anthony (post #33), Josh, and of course many thanks to RCMUSTANG!!!

My only goof was I was in a hurry when I ran into Autozone and grabbed the wrong tap a fuse size. Be sure you get Micro 2 size.

I really like this mod!

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
Got my truck last week, but didn't have time until today to do this Mod. I absolutely LOVE IT!

1551retired

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Original Thread Here: Auto Folding Mirrors

Auto folding mirrors. Folds closed when you lock the truck. Unfolds when you power up the truck. Regular operation with stock switch. 20 minute install.
The switch bezel pops right off.
Unplug the connector.
Plug the module in between the switch and connector.
Tuck everything inside.
I used an add a tap to #30 for the constant for the red wire.
Connect the blue wire to the thick gray with brown stripe (lock).
Stick the module on the inside of the left side of the dash and tied up all the wiring. Close up fuse panel and you're done.
20190322_153420.jpg
20190322_153547.jpg
20190322_153727.jpg
20190322_155523.jpg
20190322_155515.jpg
Thought I would let you know that the direction of your fuse taps does not allow the tap fuse to fuse the circuit. Turning them around will. I checked this out with a multimeter and the right side of the factory installed fuses are the supply 12 volts.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I would let you know that the direction of your fuse taps does not allow the tap fuse to fuse the circuit. Turning them around will. I checked this out with a multimeter and the right side of the factory installed fuses are the supply 12 volts.
This is correct. I had doubts myself and confirmed it with @j0shm1lls who wired his correctly. He also posted the correct way to wire it in the thread and mentioned it in a post.

Wish it would have been corrected!
Sponsored