Topper Shell

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have an FX4 and now with the topper I feel like the ride in the rear end is hoppy and poor... almost like a washboard. I feel like the weight of the topper must be a "tweener" weight that upsets the rear shock balance without being enough weight to settle the rear end.

Has anybody else with a topper noticed a difference in ride?
I honestly don’t notice a difference in ride quality with the topper on the truck.
Sponsored

Snowdigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
I have an FX4 and now with the topper I feel like the ride in the rear end is hoppy and poor... almost like a washboard. I feel like the weight of the topper must be a "tweener" weight that upsets the rear shock balance without being enough weight to settle the rear end.

Has anybody else with a topper noticed a difference in ride?
Yeah possibly, but I'm a bad judge of before and after. The truck has always been a bit "jittery". Adding the topper certainly didn't change that and maybe made it worse. I've yet to carry some weight in the bed but when I do I'll try to note any ride differences.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah possibly, but I'm a bad judge of before and after. The truck has always been a bit "jittery". Adding the topper certainly didn't change that and maybe made it worse. I've yet to carry some weight in the bed but when I do I'll try to note any ride differences.
I am certainly going to be putting on Firestone Ride Rite Airbags on mine when they come out. I used them for on a Tacoma and they made a world of difference.

JakeNB

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT; Super Crew; Shadow Black with Stone Interior; FX4 Off Road Package; Trailer Tow Package; LT Tires; Spray in Bed Liner; Black splash guards and running boards; Leer 100R cap (on order)
09C9888A-133A-4F0A-9F78-490467E860E6.jpeg
F0870D23-B27C-470B-B21B-1FCA6ECB41E9.jpeg
Had my Leer 100R installed on my truck today. Looking forward to road testing it on a fishing trip in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Question for you - did it make the back end squat much? My brother is getting one and he said it made his Tacoma squat quite a bit due to the weight. The pictures make it look like it didn't squat much with the additional weight.

JakeNB

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT; Super Crew; Shadow Black with Stone Interior; FX4 Off Road Package; Trailer Tow Package; LT Tires; Spray in Bed Liner; Black splash guards and running boards; Leer 100R cap (on order)
Question for you - did it make the back end squat much? My brother is getting one and he said it made his Tacoma squat quite a bit due to the weight. The pictures make it look like it didn't squat much with the additional weight.
I haven’t noticed any squat. It’s not that heavy. Might add a couple of pounds of air pressure to the rear.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
When I had my leer on my Tacoma it only dropped maybe half an inch if anything. Camper was only about a 100lbs

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to get the Leer 100r for the XLT. Had one on the old Nissan & it was pretty good, held up well enough for 10+ years. I figure it should help settle the ride a bit & may drop the back end just a tad. I had to use a 5 1/4" drop hitch for the Ranger, since it sits up so much higher than the Nissan did. Had to use Firestone air bags on the Nissan for towing with the tongue weight, camper shell, 2 coolers, pop-up & other stuff. Thinking the extra weight in the Ranger will help a lot, since it's sitting so much higher when empty.

Will post a couple of pictures when it arrives in a few weeks. Just using the truck for towing the 1700# teardrop or a small utility flatbed, trips to Springs & Costco & general stuff, not as a work truck any more. Those days are over fortunately!

Here's the flatbed, I made it so I can strip the bed off & then build another camper on the frame if I want.

ToolBoxs.jpg

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
ARE Z2, w/ Yakima Roof Racks

20190911_172138.jpg

20190911_214821.jpg
Looks great Cody! What width did you go with for the crossbars? I'll be mounting my Yakima mega warrior basket from my old Sport Trac. And... since my dealer did not know, what was the part number for the "landing pads"? TIA!

Last edited:

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
These pictures are awesome !

I'm expecting my A.R.E. Z2 in soon and I'm very impressed how these look on your trucks.

I added the roof rails and the lock programmed to my keys. I have two swing cases and a bed rug waiting at home for the topper to be installed first. I want to keep everything clean and new before I install the rug and swing cases.

A few more weeks and everything should be installed.

Lastly, I have a few questions about the topper.

1. Does anyone know the weight of the A.R.E. Z2 topper? I'm hoping it settles the back a little and lowers the rake.
2. Can anyone comment on the mpg hit - if any - after the topper is installed?

Did I ever tell you all how much I love this truck?

Snowdigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
These pictures are awesome !

I'm expecting my A.R.E. Z2 in soon and I'm very impressed how these look on your trucks.

I added the roof rails and the lock programmed to my keys. I have two swing cases and a bed rug waiting at home for the topper to be installed first. I want to keep everything clean and new before I install the rug and swing cases.

A few more weeks and everything should be installed.

Lastly, I have a few questions about the topper.

1. Does anyone know the weight of the A.R.E. Z2 topper? I'm hoping it settles the back a little and lowers the rake.
2. Can anyone comment on the mpg hit - if any - after the topper is installed?

Did I ever tell you all how much I love this truck?
Here are the specs for A.R.E. caps, but not specifically for the Z2.
A.R.E. Specs.png
Sponsored