FX4 package or just the 4x4 with Locking Axle?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip from DC to Asheville, NC it road extremely smooth on the highway and after taking my fx4 on some pretty rough fire roads it works pretty well on some rough terrain.

Did not use the terrain management or locker but the suspension was very good on bumpy rutted roads and barely noticable going twice as fast as I had driven several previous SUVs and trucks on same road.

I have not driven a non fx4 offroad but I think the fx4 suspension works pretty darn good offroad. On pavement I think the truck is a bit floaty, but I just traded in a performance package mustang GT, so big difference.I know my girlfriend seems to think it's a big improvement in ride quality.

With the discounts on 2019s right now I would look hard at fx4 package, although a 4x4 with locker would probably get you very close Originally I was thing about going the same route but got a great deal on a fx4 lariat and am very happy.
Sponsored

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do, get the adaptive-cruise.

And, I believe that 80-90% of FX4 buyers get that option for the "FX4" sticker on the fender, because that is the percentage of these that never go off-road. I am not saying that the FX4 package is a gimmick, but I sure do not need it and I am in the dirt every time I leave my garage. And why would anyone pay extra for an option that promises a less comfortable ride than the standard suspension?

But if you off-road at all, get the locking differential. I had that option on my F150 and I could climb up the side of a telephone pole. I live on a 1.5 mile dirt road with a 1,000' elevation gain. With 4x4, locking diff, and two sets of chains, I am King of the Mountain.

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do, get the adaptive-cruise.

And, I believe that 80-90% of FX4 buyers get that option for the "FX4" sticker on the fender, because that is the percentage of these that never go off-road. I am not saying that the FX4 package is a gimmick, but I sure do not need it and I am in the dirt every time I leave my garage. And why would anyone pay extra for an option that promises a less comfortable ride than the standard suspension?

But if you off-road at all, get the locking differential. I had that option on my F150 and I could climb up the side of a telephone pole. I live on a 1.5 mile dirt road with a 1,000' elevation gain. With 4x4, locking diff, and two sets of chains, I am King of the Mountain.
This is accurate. 1% of Ranger owners ā€œneedā€ FX4, and you already know it if you do. Everybody else just wants it. Donā€™t get me wrong, I have no problem with wanting it. Just stop telling yourself you need it.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
If you really off road or value the capability, the FX4 package is actually a lot! It's far beyond a sticker on the Ranger.

4x4 with rear locker:
- rear locking axle
- 4 wheel speed sensors & traction control

4x4 with FX4:
- rear locking axle
- 4 wheel speed sensors & traction control
- off road tuned suspension
- skid plates
- air dam delete for better approach angle
- off road pages inclino-meter, etc.
- terrain management / 4x4 traction profiles -- potential to be very effective at conservative or aggressive wheel spin control as appropriate.
- off road cruise control -- "meh" but it's a surprisingly useful feature. Ford is catching up with Jeep. Bravo!

Take the same list, and and the FX2 is actually quite a bit more than a regular 4WD.

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Too many to respond to individually but the gist of the matter is heading down the same road...

It is an interesting observation that the FX4 certainly has features that are not used very often, but there are some that are used all the time.

The suspension is something that is used 100% of the time. In my test on the bumpiest of roads the FX4 actually felt less harsh than the base 4x4 I drove back to back on the same day. I live in the Detroit Metro Area and I can tell you that there are roads here that can be characterized as pretty much 'off road.' With the road patches being first to put metal plates over potholes and then later fill them with cold patch topped with loose gravel I am actually thinking of buying a dual sport motorcycle as well! This is not a joke. The FX4 suspension is going to be perfect.

Next up is the 'modes' that come with it. I can see those, and the locking axle, getting used during the Fall/Winter/Spring.

As for the rest of the FX4 stuff that is a 'someday' for me as I am about 5 years from retirement and the 4x4 allows me to tow this behind the motorhome. Exploring back roads and National Parks and even taking it up to Deadhorse AK to visit the Arctic Ocean is in the crosshairs. In about 5 years I will probably have the nerve to take it over some rocks.

As an update, I have found the one I want (XLT 302a with TT, Tech, and FX4) and the dealer is going to trade for it to bring it to the dealership this week. I just got off the phone and he is doing the online transfer paperwork now. Pretty cool!

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
Too many to respond to individually but the gist of the matter is heading down the same road...

It is an interesting observation that the FX4 certainly has features that are not used very often, but there are some that are used all the time.

The suspension is something that is used 100% of the time. In my test on the bumpiest of roads the FX4 actually felt less harsh than the base 4x4 I drove back to back on the same day. I live in the Detroit Metro Area and I can tell you that there are roads here that can be characterized as pretty much 'off road.' With the road patches being first to put metal plates over potholes and then later fill them with cold patch topped with loose gravel I am actually thinking of buying a dual sport motorcycle as well! This is not a joke. The FX4 suspension is going to be perfect.

Next up is the 'modes' that come with it. I can see those, and the locking axle, getting used during the Fall/Winter/Spring.

As for the rest of the FX4 stuff that is a 'someday' for me as I am about 5 years from retirement and the 4x4 allows me to tow this behind the motorhome. Exploring back roads and National Parks and even taking it up to Deadhorse AK to visit the Arctic Ocean is in the crosshairs. In about 5 years I will probably have the nerve to take it over some rocks.

As an update, I have found the one I want (XLT 302a with TT, Tech, and FX4) and the dealer is going to trade for it to bring it to the dealership this week. I just got off the phone and he is doing the online transfer paperwork now. Pretty cool!
As a side note, I actually took my 1999 F150 SuperCab down that same road over the weekend to see what I have been considering acceptable for 20 years and it too was harsh. I think that FX4 suspension is actually going to help out quite a bit!

The 2020 FX2 package with a locking rear axle would make a great companion vehicle for those that do not want the 4x4 for something like flat towing behind a motorhome.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Totally agree...spent the last week in Idaho in a rented 2019 F150 4x4. Was surprised how harsh the ride was.

Couldn't wait to get back into my FX4 Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I work in metro Detroit, and live way out in the country, I can totally vouch for your offroad roads... It's so bad that I actually take dirt roads during some of my commute because they are usually in better shape than the alternative paved roads...

Love my FX4, glad I paid for it instead of going cheap...

Looks like you will be getting basically the exact same truck I have, mine is magnetic with magnetic trim, what color are you looking at?

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work in metro Detroit, and live way out in the country, I can totally vouch for your offroad roads... It's so bad that I actually take dirt roads during some of my commute because they are usually in better shape than the alternative paved roads...

Love my FX4, glad I paid for it instead of going cheap...

Looks like you will be getting basically the exact same truck I have, mine is magnetic with magnetic trim, what color are you looking at?
I pondered the color choice for probably a week. It came down to Magnetic as my 1st choice, Black as 2nd, and Blue as third. We found 2 Magnetic at a dealer that would not trade. We then went to the black (found 1) and now that dealer has suddenly been sold and all stock is on hold! LOL... He then found a blue one and wanted to know what I wanted to do. I showed the two (black and blue) to my daughter and she looked at pics of each one a couple of times and then finally said 'black.' So, I wait for the dealer stock to come out of hold! So it will be black with the magnetic wheels and trim! My son says it looks like Darth Vader's shuttle....

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pondered the color choice for probably a week. It came down to Magnetic as my 1st choice, Black as 2nd, and Blue as third. We found 2 Magnetic at a dealer that would not trade. We then went to the black (found 1) and now that dealer has suddenly been sold and all stock is on hold! LOL... He then found a blue one and wanted to know what I wanted to do. I showed the two (black and blue) to my daughter and she looked at pics of each one a couple of times and then finally said 'black.' So, I wait for the dealer stock to come out of hold! So it will be black with the magnetic wheels and trim! My son says it looks like Darth Vader's shuttle....
I wonder if they are all on hold due to the rear axles being unobtanium as of late... Would be interesting to know if it's just your dealer, or if this is a more widespread thing.

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wonder if they are all on hold due to the rear axles being unobtanium as of late... Would be interesting to know if it's just your dealer, or if this is a more widespread thing.
No, it is already in stock with a build date of 5/2019 so it is starting to get 'old' LOL.... The dealer with the magnetic trucks is known not to trade. The one with the black truck is in process of being bought by a holding company that has many dealers already so it is a legal hold. Hopefully they close on the sale of the dealership soon and release the truck! I just bought a BakFlip MX4 and a BedRug for it earlier today so I am getting the cart before the horse on this one....

faiello

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I test drove both and went with the 4x4 FX4 too bouncy for me and I will not be doing off road adventures

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Used the TM FX4 snow setting today. Awesome.
Snow covered roads over ice.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Used the TM FX4 snow setting today. Awesome.
Snow covered roads over ice.
Finally, someone else who knows :) I thought I was the only one with an FX4 that has seen snow!

It's a significant improvement over just 4x4, I drove mine before the transmission TSB was done, so it was like riding a bull with ice skates on. When I enabled snow mode, it calmed right down, and was super controlled.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Been in snow a couple of times but never even felt like 4x4 was needed yet alone TM. Won't be long though as we hit 9 degrees this morning.
Sponsored